Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ikea

Options
  • 08-01-2021 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭

If you are waiting for an online delivery from Ikea you should probably ring them and ask what is happening.

I ordered on 3 Jan, delivery expected 8th. Ok this was a bit optimistic but that is what I was told and there has been no information to the contrary.

However by today I had not received any notification of impending delivery so I rang them. In fairness I got through quickly and the person I spoke to was calm and helpful. He said, yes we are having a lot of issues with Irish customers, I will reinstate your order. ??? Reinstate? Anyway he did it and said delivery would be 22nd January. Lots of hold ups at ports and they didn't seem to have much information themselves. It appears (though he would not/could not say) that the stuff is coming from UK, or why would there be delays? Why is it going through the UK to get to here?

I can understand that there are problems between covid and Brexit, but some communication would help. They could have notified me that the date of the 8th was irrelevant.

I had prior to this had an email saying that the stuff I was waiting for was 'in stock', so I ordered. A bit of clarity would be very good for customer relations.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Thanks for this, I am in the exact same scenario and will call again today

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I expect IKEA's supply chain routes our stock through the UK. Organisationally it's "IKEA UK & Ireland". So you can imagine the new hurdles with bringing stock into Britain and then back out again to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

But you can't place a backorder.
    Surely there should be no logistics issues at the boarder.

I had assumed that their delivery issues were because they only had 1 delivery guy doing the whole country...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's why I am suggesting the stuff comes from a distribution centre in the UK. The guy was being a bit vague about where it was coming from, but if it were coming from a distribution centre anywhere else it might take a bit longer but port delays would not affect it.

This is the second time of two delayed orders (other one with Screwfix) where they have failed to say that orders were coming from the UK. This really needs to be something they should have to tell us.

2021, the year we waited for stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

looksee wrote: »
    That's why I am suggesting the stuff comes from a distribution centre in the UK. The guy was being a bit vague about where it was coming from, but if it were coming from a distribution centre anywhere else it might take a bit longer but port delays would not affect it.

This is the second time of two delayed orders (other one with Screwfix) where they have failed to say that orders were coming from the UK. This really needs to be something they should have to tell us.

2021, the year we waited for stuff...

I had assumed that the "online stock" was warehoused here.
    But that makes no sense on reflection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well I was making the same assumption, on a similar lack of reflection :D

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭raxy

just rang them. Samt thing. Order due today but no word. He said I should have got a text about it but brexit ...
    They're sending what is available to send now to arrive on the 10th & the rest for the 22nd.

Called again there and they can't give me a date for rescheduled delivery :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I've been waiting for a particular Kallax unit to come back in stock so I can put in a big order but I'm a bit wary now after reading this, seems like it could take weeks for delivery. One thing that's confusing is some stuff showing as being in stock in Dublin but not for online, it's not as if we can do click and collect in the Dublin store

Vegeta wrote: »
    Called again there and they can't give me a date for rescheduled delivery :mad:

Thankfully, my order arrived out of the blue today. Got a call shortly beforehand but no texts.

• Advertisement

I put in my order in today and got an expected delivery date of 10th March :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭magicEye

Placed order with IKEA on 30th of December and a delivery date of 8th of January. Order cancelled. Re-ordered same items, with an expected delivery date of 19th of January. Not holding my breath, everything i ordered came up as available in store and for online on both dates i placed orders.

Really poor on their part to be honest, plus there is no way to contact them, other than the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Narcissus

Vegeta wrote: »
    Thankfully, my order arrived out of the blue today. Got a call shortly beforehand but no texts.

Do you mind if I ask what date did you order?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭thebiglad

My order which was due last friday was cancelled yesterday - told out of stock but was still available to order online - so I guess they mean out of stock for Ireland delivery.

Why have an irish website if they are going to dispatch from UK - surely they can redirect irish orders to a European hub.

Customer service were clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

thebiglad wrote: »
    My order which was due last friday was cancelled yesterday - told out of stock but was still available to order online - so I guess they mean out of stock for Ireland delivery.

Why have an irish website if they are going to dispatch from UK - surely they can redirect irish orders to a European hub.

Customer service were clueless.

Brexit was agreed 24th Dec, actual details were published 31st Dec.

Those details were substantially different to what most expected and has simply caused utter chaos.

Ikea should have acted a lot quicker as it means 11,000 very disgruntled customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It sounds like IKEA took a gamble that they'd be able to treat Ireland & Britain as a single economic area after Brexit and made no alternative plans for Ireland.

My first order was dated the 30th of December, everything in stock either online or in the store, order cancelled a few days later, no explanation whatsoever.

Same order placed immediately, again, all items in stock online and in store, delivery due 19th of January, i'm guessing it will get cancelled again.

Really not happy with this but no way to contact or force them to fulfil the orders.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,154 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Just to confirm what some of you are suggesting; the online orders are fulfilled from the UK and are treated separately to the store in Dublin

Can’t tell you why but even if the store was open and something was in stock there, it’s no guarantee that it’s be available online

In the summer I talked to staff there about a couple of orders we were making and it was quicker to wait for stock to be reloaded in Dublin than order online (even when available there)

Does anyone know is the carrickmines store open so you can go in and order stuff from the Dublin store? If not then it seems pointless for them to be even showing the stock levels in the Dublin store at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Does anyone know is the carrickmines store open so you can go in and order stuff from the Dublin store? If not then it seems pointless for them to be even showing the stock levels in the Dublin store at the moment

Only option is delivery so Carrickmines must be closed for C&C.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AnneNon

Curious to know if anyone has received their IKEA delivery? Mine was due the 5th but arriving today via DPD UK and I am now wondering if this means I will be liable for duty on a purchase I thought I was making from the Dublin store online.

AnneNon wrote: »
    Curious to know if anyone has received their IKEA delivery? Mine was due the 5th but arriving today via DPD UK and I am now wondering if this means I will be liable for duty on a purchase I thought I was making from the Dublin store online.

My understanding was that if it was bought and sent before the 31st, you wouldn't incur extra charges. However, i have no idea how they're going to deal with the orders at this stage. It would make sense that if order was placed before the 31st, no extra charges should be incurred, regardless of the date the order is physically sent out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AnneNon

magicEye wrote: »
    My understanding was that if it was bought and sent before the 31st, you wouldn't incur extra charges. However, i have no idea how they're going to deal with the orders at this stage. It would make sense that if order was placed before the 31st, no extra charges should be incurred, regardless of the date the order is physically sent out.

Yippee. My (DPD UK) IKEA.ie delivery arrived and my pre delivery fretting about possible duty was unfounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

looksee wrote: »
    If you are waiting for an online delivery from Ikea you should probably ring them and ask what is happening.

I ordered on 3 Jan, delivery expected 8th. Ok this was a bit optimistic but that is what I was told and there has been no information to the contrary.

However by today I had not received any notification of impending delivery so I rang them. In fairness I got through quickly and the person I spoke to was calm and helpful. He said, yes we are having a lot of issues with Irish customers, I will reinstate your order. ??? Reinstate? Anyway he did it and said delivery would be 22nd January. Lots of hold ups at ports and they didn't seem to have much information themselves. It appears (though he would not/could not say) that the stuff is coming from UK, or why would there be delays? Why is it going through the UK to get to here?

I can understand that there are problems between covid and Brexit, but some communication would help. They could have notified me that the date of the 8th was irrelevant.

I had prior to this had an email saying that the stuff I was waiting for was 'in stock', so I ordered. A bit of clarity would be very good for customer relations.

I had the exact same scenario in September/October, so might not even be Brexit related.

Due for delivery on a certain date, got a text confirming date on the the day, with a promise of another text on the morning of the delivery (which was meant to be that day).

rang them the next day and they had to re-instate the order. They claimed some stuff was out of stock, but they the re-instated order had everything, so I've no idea how it worked.

Thought it was crazy that unless you ring them the order just seems to get stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭OrlaFS2017

My order from Nov 3rd finally arrived today!! They partially cancelled some so god knows how long I’ll be waiting for the re-order of those. Shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Kaylami

It's mad because I ordered a set of bunkbeds today and its giving my tomorrow as my delivery date. I know thats not going to happen but they don't seem to have got a up to date dispatch times on their site.

I knew there was delays and dont mind waiting just thrown by that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

IKEA canceled my order completely a day before the delivery date and promised me a refund within 14 days.

Still waiting in the credit to my credit card, they charged the full amount (not just a hold) so they now have a larger amount of money and I have no goods.

Will have to make a charge back if they don’t act soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

How nice of them to call me a liar:
    But, despite customer claims, it says it has not “fully cancelled any orders”.

They did mine and still have not refunded it.

Advertisement