Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you wear a watch?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭dinorebel

fryup wrote: »
    anyone see that pawnbroker programme the other night, some woman got offer 85k for a watch, forget which make it was

but 85k !!
    You can guarantee if a Pawnbroker offered 85k the watch is worth at least 150k.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Wibbs wrote: »
    In my experience anyway guys not wearing watches isn't that much of a recent thing. When I was a teenager in the 80's very few of my friends wore a watch. I can even remember a couple saying they couldn't be bothered wearing one and there was nothing particularly fashionable to them in that age group. Though the Swatch watches had caught on a bit with those who were decked out in Benetton. :D You'd see the occasional Casio calculator watch but it was mostly dads and older guys.

I was always into them. My dad was into watches so I kinda got that from him. Plus I could never get the hang of reading digital watches which were all the rage. Oh I can read them, but it takes longer and the time doesn't quite register for me compared to an analogue watch. So I used to look in junk shops, and the like and a mate's family was in the auction game so general auctions too. All for pocketmoney too. Well it was way before "old watch" became "vintage collectible". :D So old wind up watches could be had for 20 quid and the like, even some well known brands in the game today. I once got a shoebox full of them for 40 quid. Mostly tat, but some Rotary, Tudor and Omega in the mix. If I had a time machine and a thousand old quids I'd come back a millionaire :D I kept collecting them since, but have really dialled back in the last few years as the prices went nuts.

Other than a couple of family heirlooms, the one I would have the longest is this one I got the early nineties and am wearing today. A so called "Trench watch" all the way from 1916 and an example of the early wristwatches for men(previously they had been consider too "feminine" but the needs of mechanised war changed that, because pocket watches were too cumbersome).

544949.jpg
    Still a great timekeeper over a century later.

Funny how we've gone from the pocket to the wrist and now back again to the pocket with phones. Now men's watches have become far more about jewellery than the function they once had(though they always had the hint of jewellery. The vast majority of old watches came in gold or gold plate). We take it for granted time and accurate time is all around us so...

My, what hairy hands you have. :pac:

Nice watch though!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,553 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

One of the best purchases i made was a Samsung smart watch a few years back. Great device with so many good features like the fitness tracker, messages and controlling the music on your phone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bassy

only wear my rolex on special occassions which are not to many :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I had a genuine fake Rolex at one stage.

• Advertisement

I always wear one. Last year during lockdown, I started getting into watches a lot more and considered splurging, but settled on a somewhat difficult to acquire Seiko instead. I failed twice to get it delivered to Vietnam so got a Casio a159 instead, which I've ended up loving far more than I expected. It gets a surprising amount of compliments, I guess because it's cheap and cheerful. Never wear any other watch anymore.

At the moment, I have my eye on this watch as a first automatic. It's in stock in a shop here in VN and it's only $200. Not sure I'd wear it all that much instead of the Casio, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

I wore a huawei smart watch for a while, then transitioned to just a fitbit for ages. Got into mechanical watches about 2 years ago and now have about 10 with a few quartz's too. I don't have any crazy expensive pieces - the most expensive was 700 but most are under 200.

Smartwatches appeal to me because of my love of technology and gadgets, but I found it unnecessary to be constantly interrupted by notifications on my wrist. I found it useful when I used to work in a lab so issue commands and see notifications when wearing gloves, but it was another distraction - they were rarely important or actionable immediately.

There's a real beauty to mechanical watches, especially automatics. I'd have to charge my smart watch every night, but just by wearing my automatics, they never run out of power.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

1874 wrote: »
    the cheap and cheerful Casio F-91W I got him for Xmas

That’s what I got for Christmas as well!!

I got tired of pulling my phone out of my pocket.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

anyone see that pawnbroker programme the other night, some woman got offer 85k for a watch, forget which make it was

but 85k !!
    Mostly likely a Patek Phillippe at that money.
    My, what hairy hands you have. :pac:

Nice watch though!

Me. Earlier.
    074f184e-e457-4c3e-81a5-91622802ca3b.jpg
    Fionn1952 wrote: »
    Would you mind if I sent a PM your way regarding where you'd suggest with regards to buying something like the first piece? I'd imagine on-thread recommendations may be questionable.
    No worries at all. There are a lot of chancers selling lashups of watches of that age out there. I'd reckon two thirds on sale are dubious and/or overpriced.

I got my straps from a bloke in the US who's into military re-enactment type stuff and he did a run of WW1 straps based on original designs from back then. I dunno if he still has any, though similar can be found handy enough.
    I splashed out on a casio g shock a few days ago. Hopefully it will last.
    G Shocks beat other watches up and take their lunch money for sport. :D It'll definitely last alright.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes, i think it was.....never heard of them before must be very exclusive
    Me. Earlier.

but seriously, was that really your arm in that pic or from the web?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

yes, i think it was.....never heard of them before must be very exclusive
    Yeah, they're about the top end in price for Swiss watches along with Vacheron Constantin and Audemars Piguet. Known as "the big three" to watch nerds. Very traditional, lovely quality, they'd produce watches in the tens of thousands per year(by comparison Rolex fire out around a million) and very expensive. There's a couple of lads in the watches forum here that have them.
    but seriously, was that really your arm in that pic or from the web?
    Really my arm. And I'm not that hairy actually. Maybe the sunlight made me look more ape like. And that's what a man's wrist should look like dammit! Maybe beefier. :D I did read somewhere that men are getting less hairy. I blame hormones in the food. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I got my first watch when I was about 8 or 9 and have been wearing one since. I have a very nice titanium body Casio waveceptor which is solar powered and receives time updates from radio waves so is always 100% correct.

I feel ‘naked’ on the odd day in forget to put it on.

anyone see that pawnbroker TV programme the other night, some woman got offer 85k for a watch, forget which make it was

but 85k !!

if you go to 19.00 in the video you can see it, and 42.00 the offer being made

ITV pawnbrokers

if you go to 19.00 in the video you can see it, and 42.00 the offer being made

ITV pawnbrokers
    Yep Patek perpetual calender moonphase chronograph in 18k gold. Top end stuff. She got 85 grand, but I'd reckon at auction she'd have gotten closer to 100 for it, maybe a little more. Then again the auction house would have taken their pound of flesh as they do so take a chunk off that and all the hassle, so I suppose... If it were mine I'd not have taken 85 k, but then I'd have a better idea of places to flog such a thing.

If it were mine I'd not have taken 85 k, but then I'd have a better idea of places to flog such a thing.

a jeweller? a private buyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I have two Omega watches, a Seamaster which I wear everyday (currently in for repair), and a vintage constellation which is in need of a recommision. I'm currently wearing my wife's old fitbit, it's not floating my boat. I'm saving up for a Rolex, a day date ideally, but I won't discount other brands.

I'm currently wearing my wife's old fitbit,

sissy :P

a jeweller? a private buyer?
    Watch forums can be one route, watch specific dealers another where she might have gotten more, outlets like Chrono24. Here's what looks to be her model. 144,000 freedom bucks which in euros is what around 120,000? Just over a 100k sterlings. But set against that is the hassle involved to make that extra maybe 20k. Going yer man's route she's getting 85 up front, no hassle, done and dusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭DopeTech

ElJaguar wrote: »
    I've no time for watches.

Sounds like you have some time on your hands all the same to come up with a comment like that!!

sissy :P

She "upgraded" to an apple watch and it was sitting in a drawer. I wanted something for work as I need to know the exact time probably 10 times a day and I often leave the phone behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I wear two, a nice mechanical on one and a Garmin tracker thing on the other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭KilOit

Anyone else getting watch ads on top banner on boards looking at this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭boardise

ElJaguar wrote: »
    I've no time for watches.

Is this a wind-up ?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭chinwag

Quartz are very handy and accurate but I do like mechanical watches. I'd wear a watch most days, more so when I'm leaving the house. The quartz never needs a reset from lack of use.

I'm inclined to leave my watch on the table during the day and an automatic will stop if not worn often, so that's a minus for me.

However, I have a lovely Seiko automatic kinetic relay watch which works a bit like quartz and restarts with a shake if it stops....well, that was when it worked.

I didn't wear it enough for too long and I think the capacitor may be gone as the watch now stops working in less than a day after I take it off. I've tried shaking it, etc. but no improvement.

Anyone know roughly what a capacitor would cost to get replaced by a watch repairer? Might be more than it's worth I suspect but I like the watch and it's still in good nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I always wear a watch. Every man should have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

chinwag wrote: »
    However, I have a lovely Seiko automatic kinetic relay watch which works a bit like quartz and restarts with a shake if it stops....well, that was when it worked.

I didn't wear it enough for too long and I think the capacitor may be gone as the watch now stops working in less than a day after I take it off. I've tried shaking it, etc. but no improvement.

Anyone know roughly what a capacitor would cost to get replaced by a watch repairer? Might be more than it's worth I suspect but I like the watch and it's still in good nick.
    When they discharge completely it takes a lot to get them back up to power again. There are a few tricks you can employ including automatic winders you put them on that rotate them constantly, thus charging them up via the internal charging mechanism, or various methods using electric toothbrush chargers or philips led tealight chargers. I use an old philips tealight charger for mine now and then to keep them working, although I usually wear my Garmin fenix 6 these days, so the seiko watches get little use.

I had the capacitor changed in one of the older Seiko's a few years back by the Seiko importer in Dublin, but can't remember how much it was I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭chinwag

Alun wrote: »
    When they discharge completely it takes a lot to get them back up to power again. There are a few tricks you can employ including automatic winders you put them on that rotate them constantly, thus charging them up via the internal charging mechanism, or various methods using electric toothbrush chargers or philips led tealight chargers. I use an old philips tealight charger for mine now and then to keep them working, although I usually wear my Garmin fenix 6 these days, so the seiko watches get little use.

I had the capacitor changed in one of the older Seiko's a few years back by the Seiko importer in Dublin, but can't remember how much it was I'm afraid.
    Thanks for that Alun. The continuous rotating worked for me before but not this time. I'm a bit confused about your tricks to employ (automatic winders or electric toothbrush chargers) but I'd give anything a try to reboot the watch to make it work again. It used to fascinate me to to look at the watch restarting and correcting the time itself with hands moving around. I might enquire about a repair later on though unfortunately the trend these days is to dump and replace.
    Don't let your Seiko watches die!

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

I've got a Rotary myself, bought it in Argos (don't snigger) got a lovely blue face with gold numbers.

Where do Rotary sit in the prestige make table..Midway? Would they be on par with Citizen, Seiko, Omega and the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,666 ✭✭✭mondeo

I use to wear nice watches... Now I wear smart watches. Hard to go back to a conventional watch when u have something that tells the time, weather and who is texting you without pulling your phone out of your pocket. I hated smart watches at first but now that I have one that only needs charging once a fortnight I have adapted them.

• Advertisement

frosty123 wrote: »
    I've got a Rotary myself, bought it in Argos (don't snigger) got a lovely blue face with gold numbers.

Where do Rotary sit in the prestige make table..Midway? Would they be on par with Citizen, Seiko, Omega and the like?

Omega start at €3k for the more basic models. €7k would be for one of their standard models, they would be the main competition to Rolex. Citizen and Seiko would be more mainstream and in the €100s. So yes and no.

Advertisement