Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pup reduction in 2021?

• 06-02-2021 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I got an amended tax credit certificate yesterday to see my tax credits for this year were reduced by 2,600 for my wife’s pup. Our first PAYE rate has been reduced by 13000 also.

Was I wrong to think this would not be applied until 2022? And she earned under 16500 in total for 2020 and is in line to earn less this year at the rate of pup she’s receiving.

What am I missing as everything I can find online indicates that this would not be payed until 2022 (or at all at her income)

Tia.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

My understanding is that the tax on 2020 PUp will be spread over the next few years but for the 2021 tax year they are calculating (for the mean time) that your spouse will be on PUP for the entire year and are adjusting your tax credits on that basis for eg. Your tax credits will be reduced by 20% of 350x52 ie. the tax due on the PUP for the entire year and reducing your standard band by 350x52. Its messy the way they have done it and pretty scary when you see your tax allowance surely they could have set up a temporary system where department of social protection became a temporary employer and payed out 350 through a computerised payroll

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mamto5

Hi can I ask a question we are married and jointly assessed my husband is receiving PUP. In the new tax credits we received yesterday they have only allowed a SRCOP of 44k for both of us and reduced this by the amount of PUP my husband will receive for the year. Should he not be awarded a SRCOP of 26k on top of the 44k. They would then deducted the PUP received from his SRCOP. If this isn’t the case it is very unfair on married couples as if we were single they would. It touch my SRCOP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Marwa

I am the same here. The tax credit cert I received yesterday- I was fully employed all last year and still, no benefit for me. My husband on PUP some time last year and still. The tax rate. And reduced by 18200 and his tax credits taken away.
    What’s the solution to it? Based on what they send us I’ll be paying 3 times more taxes now. Why my income affected if he was on pup, not me. Also would it be more beneficial if we separate assessed for this year? I don’t really know how to work it out. Another thing is he won’t be on pup all this year- payment stops end of March and he will def be back working this year. Why have they calculated 18200 pup for all year if this payment stops soon.
    I submitted enquirers on revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭ari101

I know for illness benefit there is Revenue guidance in issue which says they presume the person will be out for a full year after 4 consecutive weeks benefit as notified by social welfare. The TCC/RPN (credits and bands) are adjusted down for the value of a full years claim (even if it is mid year!). When the illness claim is finalised it is then supposed to result in another revised TCC/RPN to actual. (I haven't seen this system applied personally, it depends on communication from social welfare of the active claim, etc.)

Maybe they are applying this system to PUP on the 'full year and correct later' basis? Come March if the system ends I assume they will change the TCC/RPN again.

I see the argument for; things are tough enough if PUP is a reduction on salary, but I suppose they have to also consider if things don't get better more tax will be owed.

If this is what revenue are doing, separate assessment may be better in short term for families struggling. But it comes with the possibility of a later tax bill for the partner on PUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭chrabo

Marwa wrote: »
    I am the same here. The tax credit cert I received yesterday- I was fully employed all last year and still, no benefit for me. My husband on PUP some time last year and still. The tax rate. And reduced by 18200 and his tax credits taken away.
    What’s the solution to it? Based on what they send us I’ll be paying 3 times more taxes now. Why my income affected if he was on pup, not me. Also would it be more beneficial if we separate assessed for this year? I don’t really know how to work it out. Another thing is he won’t be on pup all this year- payment stops end of March and he will def be back working this year. Why have they calculated 18200 pup for all year if this payment stops soon.
    I submitted enquirers on revenue.

Im same. Looks like anything over 15k this year will go 40%. Will call them in the morning...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

What I can’t understand is my spouse was earning less than 16500 last year and due to earn even less this year as she’s on the 250 rate of pup, so why are we being taxed 20% of the pup when her tax credits would normally cover that.

She’s wasn’t found liable to pay any tax for the pup she received in 2020

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Marwa

I’ll be calling them tomorrow too,
    My husbands wasn’t issued any tax bill for last year means he wasn’t due any tax back for revenue because he simply didn’t earn much, after claiming all adoption all income including PUp we were actually refunded overpaid tax.
    Can’t imagine being taxed this year based on what they isles on Friday. I hope it’s a mistake they’ve made or their system generated.

https://ibb.co/JnMbCfLI think this is system sending this certs. Look at this. PUP total was 3600eu. Why is there 18200??. I cant understand thisJnMbCfL

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭relax carry on

chrabo wrote: »
    https://ibb.co/JnMbCfLI think this is system sending this certs. Look at this. PUP total was 3600eu. Why is there 18200??. I cant understand thisJnMbCfL

That looks like they have added the entire amount of PUP for 2021. THE 2021 PUP income reduces your rate band by 18200 (the full amount) and your tax credits are reduced by 3600 (the full amount of PUP for 2021 at 20%).

That looks like they have added the entire amount of PUP for 2021. THE 2021 PUP income reduces your rate band by 18200 (the full amount) and your tax credits are reduced by 3600 (the full amount of PUP for 2021 at 20%).

i say quick call should sort this out.

• Advertisement

i say quick call should sort this out.

Are you on PUP in 2021?

Are you on PUP in 2021?
    I was on 2 weeks. in january.

I was on 2 weeks. in january.

Then sounds like an error if you aren't still on it. A phone call to fix although if you have a copy of your PUP amounts from welfare for 2021 showing the payments are finished, that might speed it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

Are you on PUP in 2021?

I presume they are basing it on people being on PUP for the foreseeable and if you come off PUP and start work it will be re-issued?

I got the same Tax cert and that's the assumption I'm working but then I don't understand tax stuff lol

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭collsoft

There are a number of factors to all of this as has been pointed out before in earlier posts.

1) PUP is taxable in real time in 2021. This is now the same as other benefits such as illness or maternity benefit, but it was different in 2020 where PUP was not taxed in real time but only at year end.

2) When you are receiving a taxable benefit Revenue will predict your liability based on a full year and reduce your tax credits accordingly. Usually this does not make a difference as you are not at work.

3) PUP is significantly higher than most other benefits with a maximum rate of €350 per week. Job Seekers for example is €203. This has an impact on the calculation because tax at 20% on PUP is €70 per week (€350 @ 20%). This is higher than a single persons tax credits, causing them to be reduced to zero. This does not happen with Job Seekers where the liability would be €40.60 per week.

4) Social Welfare use a Week which runs from Friday to Thursday, and if you are eligible for one day you receive a whole week of the benefit. So lets say that you started back to work on Monday and you closed your claim with welfare, you will still get a full week of PUP for this week as you were not working the previous Friday.

5) Social Welfare only tell Revenue that the benefit has closed after the last payment has been paid, and currently they only tell Revenue once per week (at the weekend) when a claim is closed.

6) When Revenue are notified that a claim is closed they will then recalculate the tax due based on the actual amount of PUP (not the full year) and your tax credits will be adjusted to reflect the actual amount of tax due. This should bring your credits back up from zero - but not up to their full value.

7) It might take a couple of weeks for all of this to happen after you have returned to work, but while your credits may be zero for a couple of weeks most people will still be receiving a PUP payment after they have actually gone back to work - its a timing issue

Hope this helps to explain some of the problems that people are seeing

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭cosanostra

I just noticed I am on a week1 month1 in the new tax credits is everyone else the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Parking Fine 11

Hi,

I’m in the same boat I think. On a week 1 basis and have no tax credits for the year. Rang the revenue and they said the department of social protection only send out the details once a week and once they receive the information they will update my tax credits and I’ll get a new email with the tax credits. On the form I got last week anything over 18,000 is taxed at 40%. Hoping they get it fixed ASAP.

Revenue and DEASP will be increasing the frequency at which the exchange information and as you mentioned it was only weekly before.

Revenue have told us (Payroll software providers) that this were there were two separate files and that they are working to make this permanent going forward.

For most people this will impact them when they start back at work, but while they have zero credits for the first week or two most people will still be getting a PUP payment when they start working again.

Although I know its not so simple for married people who are jointly assessed.

This is because of the timings involved in the PUP payments.

Just to note there are approx 480,000 people on PUP at the moment, and this is going to happen to everybody if an when they start back at work.

You can expect this to be a massive issue if for example construction reopens on 5th March
    Hi,

I’m in the same boat I think. On a week 1 basis and have no tax credits for the year. Rang the revenue and they said the department of social protection only send out the details once a week and once they receive the information they will update my tax credits and I’ll get a new email with the tax credits. On the form I got last week anything over 18,000 is taxed at 40%. Hoping they get it fixed ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BPPM

c-90 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I got an amended tax credit certificate yesterday to see my tax credits for this year were reduced by 2,600 for my wife’s pup. Our first PAYE rate has been reduced by 13000 also.

Was I wrong to think this would not be applied until 2022? And she earned under 16500 in total for 2020 and is in line to earn less this year at the rate of pup she’s receiving.

What am I missing as everything I can find online indicates that this would not be payed until 2022 (or at all at her income)

Tia.

The reduction of Tax Credits and Standard Rate Cut-off Point SRCOP - is in respect of Taxing the Pandemic Unemployment Payment PUP in real time for 2021. Revenue are reducing credits and SRCOP for the estimated amount of PUP for the full year e.g. for someone on 350 per week Tax credit is reduced by €3,640 and SRCOP is reduced by €18,200.
    When the person returns to work, they must sign off the PUP on the 1st day they return to work through their MyWelfare Account. The Dept. of Social Protection - DSP on receipt of this notification will cease the PUP payment and inform Revenue of the total amount of PUP earned in 2021 (i.e paid to the recipient after 13th January 2021. Revenue will update the persons Tax Credit Cert by reducing Tax Credits and SRCOP by the amount that was paid in 2021 after 13th, January.
    This is an ambitious process and could not have been done 3 years ago pre-PAYE modernisation. There is a lot of credit due to those working at Revenue and DSP for the effort they have put in over the past 10 months to deal with record numbers of people in receipt of TWSS and PUP. The process currently in place is ideal for the type of people that would try to take advantage of already stretched resources within the DSP by not signing off the DUP after returning to employment. DSP will not be aware they have ceased PUP and they will be taxed in excess of 20% on all of their income. Neither Revenue, DSP nor BPPM have any sympathy for whatever punitive actions are taken against such people.
    That said BPPM is not confident that this ambitious process will work for the vast majority of PAYE workers who return to work and sign off the PUP on the day they return to work. Unfortunately, conditions are not ideal for such an ambitious process, because workers within Revenue and DSP are still people, with the same fears and worries about contracting the virus as anyone else. I expect many of them have had to self isolate because of been close contacts and I expect some of them have or have had the virus. Many of these workers maybe be working from home in conditions which may be less than ideal. The downside to this process for the vast majority of PAYE workers who return to work and sign off the PUP on the day they return to work is that they will be taxed in excess of 20% on all of their income if there is any delay in notifications between DSP and Revenue of the actual PUP earned in 2021. BPPM certainly hopes that such a situation does not arise as people returning to work after been on the PUP will already be financially stretched.

The reduction of Tax Credits and Standard Rate Cut-off Point SRCOP - is in respect of Taxing the Pandemic Unemployment Payment PUP in real time for 2021. Revenue are reducing credits and SRCOP for the estimated amount of PUP for the full year e.g. for someone on 350 per week Tax credit is reduced by €3,640 and SRCOP is reduced by €18,200.
    When the person returns to work, they must sign off the PUP on the 1st day they return to work through their MyWelfare Account. The Dept. of Social Protection - DSP on receipt of this notification will cease the PUP payment and inform Revenue of the total amount of PUP earned in 2021 (i.e paid to the recipient after 13th January 2021. Revenue will update the persons Tax Credit Cert by reducing Tax Credits and SRCOP by the amount that was paid in 2021 after 13th, January.
    This is an ambitious process and could not have been done 3 years ago pre-PAYE modernisation. There is a lot of credit due to those working at Revenue and DSP for the effort they have put in over the past 10 months to deal with record numbers of people in receipt of TWSS and PUP. The process currently in place is ideal for the type of people that would try to take advantage of already stretched resources within the DSP by not signing off the DUP after returning to employment. DSP will not be aware they have ceased PUP and they will be taxed in excess of 20% on all of their income. Neither Revenue, DSP nor BPPM have any sympathy for whatever punitive actions are taken against such people.
    That said BPPM is not confident that this ambitious process will work for the vast majority of PAYE workers who return to work and sign off the PUP on the day they return to work. Unfortunately, conditions are not ideal for such an ambitious process, because workers within Revenue and DSP are still people, with the same fears and worries about contracting the virus as anyone else. I expect many of them have had to self isolate because of been close contacts and I expect some of them have or have had the virus. Many of these workers maybe be working from home in conditions which may be less than ideal. The downside to this process for the vast majority of PAYE workers who return to work and sign off the PUP on the day they return to work is that they will be taxed in excess of 20% on all of their income if there is any delay in notifications between DSP and Revenue of the actual PUP earned in 2021. BPPM certainly hopes that such a situation does not arise as people returning to work after been on the PUP will already be financially stretched.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BPPM

Yea. All the certs with reduced credits and reduced SRCOP are on WK 1

• Advertisement

BPPM wrote: »
    Yea. All the certs with reduced credits and reduced SRCOP are on WK 1

Should this take long to fix. I’m waiting over a week now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

cosanostra wrote: »
    I just noticed I am on a week1 month1 in the new tax credits is everyone else the same?

yes same here

All certs will be on a week 1 basis when you start back to work after being on PUP, usually with zero (or very small) credits and a reduced standard rate cut off point.

It can take anything for one to three weeks for the Department of Social protection to inform Revenue that your PUP claim has been closed.

When Revenue have been informed they will recalculate your tax credits based on the amount of PUP that you received, so your credits will be increased from zero, but less than they were at the beginning of the year - this essentially pays the tax due on the PUP.

However, you will continue to be taxed on a Week 1 basis for the foreseeable future - possibly even the rest of the year.

i know that Revenue are looking to see if they can move people back onto a cumulative basis, but this requires some software development in ROS and they are investigating this at the moment.

collsoft wrote: »
    All certs will be on a week 1 basis when you start back to work after being on PUP, usually with zero (or very small) credits and a reduced standard rate cut off point.

It can take anything for one to three weeks for the Department of Social protection to inform Revenue that your PUP claim has been closed.

When Revenue have been informed they will recalculate your tax credits based on the amount of PUP that you received, so your credits will be increased from zero, but less than they were at the beginning of the year - this essentially pays the tax due on the PUP.

However, you will continue to be taxed on a Week 1 basis for the foreseeable future - possibly even the rest of the year.

i know that Revenue are looking to see if they can move people back onto a cumulative basis, but this requires some software development in ROS and they are investigating this at the moment.

What does this mean tax wise? I’m due to be paid this week. Should I accept that I will be losing close to 40% of my pay as anything over 18,000 is being tax at that as per my tax credit cert

Ok, here is what happens when you first start back to work after being on PUP and before revenue are informed that your PUP claim has been closed

A single person with no kids has a Standard Rate Cut off Point (SRCOP) of €35,300 per year. See the Revenue Website here>>

So anything above that is taxed at 40%

If Revenue have reduced your SRCOP by €18,200 (€350 * 52) then you will pay 40% on all earnings above €17,100 (€35,300 - €18,200)

On a weekly basis that means that any pay above €328.84 will be taxed at 40% (everything up to that will be taxed at 20%)
    What does this mean tax wise? I’m due to be paid this week. Should I accept that I will be losing close to 40% of my pay as anything over 18,000 is being tax at that as per my tax credit cert

If you are married then the SRCOP is €44,300 and on a weekly basis you will pay 40% on any earning above €501.92

This is the situation until Revenue are notified of your PUP claim being closed at which stage they will recalculate your tax credits and SRCOP based on the amount of PUP you actually received.

Ok, here is what happens when you first start back to work after being on PUP and before revenue are informed that your PUP claim has been closed

A single person with no kids has a Standard Rate Cut off Point (SRCOP) of €35,300 per year. See the Revenue Website here>>

So anything above that is taxed at 40%

If Revenue have reduced your SRCOP by €18,200 (€350 * 52) then you will pay 40% on all earnings above €17,100 (€35,300 - €18,200)

On a weekly basis that means that any pay above €328.84 will be taxed at 40% (everything up to that will be taxed at 20%)

If you are married then the SRCOP is €44,300 and on a weekly basis you will pay 40% on any earning above €501.92

This is the situation until Revenue are notified of your PUP claim being closed at which stage they will recalculate your tax credits and SRCOP based on the amount of PUP you actually received.

Perfect thank you.

Just got an amended tax credit from 2009. Yes 2009. They must be looking at something lol

Just got my amended tax cert for the year. If I’ve over paid on tax this pay run will I automatically get it back in the next or do I need to wait until the end of the year?

You wont get any tax refunds while you are being taxed on a "Week 1" basis - its just the way the calculations work.

If Revenue switch you back to a "Cumulative" (sometimes called "Ordinary") taxation basis then you will be refunded any over payments.

Normally you would stay on a "Week 1" basis until the end of the year after coming off social welfare, but I know that Revenue are working on a solution that will enable them to put you back onto a "Cumulative" basis but they don't have a timeline for that as yet
    Just got my amended tax cert for the year. If I’ve over paid on tax this pay run will I automatically get it back in the next or do I need to wait until the end of the year?

You wont get any tax refunds while you are being taxed on a "Week 1" basis - its just the way the calculations work.

If Revenue switch you back to a "Cumulative" (sometimes called "Ordinary") taxation basis then you will be refunded any over payments.

Normally you would stay on a "Week 1" basis until the end of the year after coming off social welfare, but I know that Revenue are working on a solution that will enable them to put you back onto a "Cumulative" basis but they don't have a timeline for that as yet

Really appreciate the info and the update.

Will there be any other impact to my taxes that I am on week 1 basis?

• Advertisement

Not really, Week 1 just means that you wont get any refunds (or have to pay any underpayments in other situations)

However, it really all depends on what your new tax credits and Cut Off point are as these will drive the tax (PAYE) calculation.

Your USC should be broadly in line with the normal amount when you are on a Week 1 basis, but because PUP is not subject to USC you should see some kind of USC reduction or rebate for the weeks you were on PUP if you were switched back to a cumulative basis in the future.
    Really appreciate the info and the update.

Will there be any other impact to my taxes that I am on week 1 basis?

Advertisement