Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-05-2019, 21:54   #106
timthumbni

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancieBrady View Post
Yeh, your clarification was totally innocent.
So you should attack the original poster for labelling as he brought up the schooling issue, yes? Be consistent at least.

You have already had a number of begrudger types questioning Rory’s devotion to the cause so to speak on this thread.

This despite the fact that he would have already played for Ireland the last time if it wasn’t for that Zika virus carry on. The outrage by some little Irelanders at the time was made most amusing by the egg on their face when Shane Lowry also withdrew as well as a number of other countries golfers. But Rory is a Brit at heart etc etc blah blah. It’s only a golfer ffs. If he plays be happy.
Advertisement
15-05-2019, 22:01   #107
janfebmar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYourVibes View Post
Yanks love the Brits.

Unionists maybe not so much.
I was reading recently that "Seventeen of the 44 American Presidents are
generally accepted as being of Ulster-Scots ancestry. "
15-05-2019, 22:02   #108
FrancieBrady

Quote:
Originally Posted by timthumbni View Post
So you should attack the original poster for labelling as he brought up the schooling issue, yes? Be consistent at least.

You have already had a number of begrudger types questioning Rory’s devotion to the cause so to speak on this thread.

This despite the fact that he would have already played for Ireland the last time if it wasn’t for that Zika virus carry on. The outrage by some little Irelanders at the time was made most amusing by the egg on their face when Shane Lowry also withdrew as well as a number of other countries golfers. But Rory is a Brit at heart etc etc blah blah. It’s only a golfer ffs. If he plays be happy.
Had you said 'Sullivan' school was non-denominational one might have believed you, but one hear 'is certainly not a CATHOLIC school' in a Paisley like boom due to your posting history.

Mea culpa on that, I am personally delighted you will be cheering on the Irish man, things are certainly changing.
15-05-2019, 22:05   #109
munsterlegend

Quote:

He admitted it had nothing to do with the Zika virus. It probably had more to do with a falling out with Mcginley for some reason.

Anyway sport on this island is apart from soccer on an all island basis. Most northern athletes choose to represent Ireland so Rory choosing Ireland makes sense.
15-05-2019, 22:11   #110
janfebmar

Is this the same Rory McIllroy that once famously said that he ‘feels more British than Irish’? He added "Maybe it was the way I was brought up, I don’t know, but I have always felt more of a connection with the UK than with Ireland. And so I have to weigh that up against the fact that I’ve always played for Ireland and so it is tough. Whatever I do, I know my decision is going to upset some people but I just hope the vast majority will understand.”

I say fair play to him, let he play for whoever he feels comfortable playing for. I would not criticize him for his decision to play for either country.
Advertisement
15-05-2019, 22:13   #111
timthumbni

Quote:
Had you said 'Sullivan' school was non-denominational one might have believed you, but one hear 'is certainly not a CATHOLIC school' in a Paisley like boom due to your posting history.

Mea culpa on that, I am personally delighted you will be cheering on the Irish man, things are certainly changing.
There is no such thing as a “protestant” school in NI to my knowledge so don’t see why I would have mentioned that. There are only catholic maintained schools and the rest technically are all non denominational. Though state comprehensives especially tend to be almost all from a Protestant background. And non catholic grammar schools tend to be also be mostly from a Protestant background.

Anyway I have been cheering on Rory for years. Just as I’m sure you were when he celebrated winning golfs biggest tournaments with a Norn Iron red hand flag wrapped around him.
15-05-2019, 22:19   #112
FrancieBrady

Quote:
There is no such thing as a “protestant” school in NI to my knowledge so don’t see why I would have mentioned that. There are only catholic maintained schools and the rest technically are all non denominational. Though state comprehensives especially tend to be almost all from a Protestant background. And non catholic grammar schools tend to be also be mostly from a Protestant background.

Anyway I have been cheering on Rory for years. Just as I’m sure you were when he celebrated winning golfs biggest tournaments with a Norn Iron red hand flag wrapped around him.
If they were born on this island then I cheer them as Irish men and women. I don't have borders in my head.
15-05-2019, 22:22   #113
tayto lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by janfebmar View Post
Is this the same Rory McIllroy that once famously said that he ‘feels more British than Irish’? He added "Maybe it was the way I was brought up, I don’t know, but I have always felt more of a connection with the UK than with Ireland. And so I have to weigh that up against the fact that I’ve always played for Ireland and so it is tough. Whatever I do, I know my decision is going to upset some people but I just hope the vast majority will understand.”

I say fair play to him, let he play for whoever he feels comfortable playing for. I would not criticize him for his decision to play for either country.
I would really hate to see the little **** play for Ireland.
When he had his chance he lied through his teeth about the Zeko fly etc.
He couldn’t lie straight in bed.
Hope a stray Zeko fly bites him in the ******.
Anyway he hasn’t the temperament to win a big tournament anymore.
(2) thanks from:
15-05-2019, 22:24   #114
janfebmar

Quote:
If they were born on this island then I cheer them as Irish men and women.
So you would cheer on all sport people born on this island? If Linfield or N. Ireland were playing a team from Europe would you cheer them on then?
Advertisement
15-05-2019, 22:29   #115
Strumms

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTLEFTHAND View Post
I doubt any golfer gives a hoot about winning an Olympic medal anyway. Majors are all that matters in golf.

Same as tennis.

This, something to tell the grandkids though if they do win, big of an ego boost.
15-05-2019, 22:30   #116
FrancieBrady

Quote:
So you would cheer on all sport people born on this island? If Linfield or N. Ireland were playing a team from Europe would you cheer them on then?
No, in respect of Linfield, I have no time for bigots. As to Northern Ireland, not during Bingham's tenure, but no problem with them currently. Funny how there is a residue of bigotry in soccer but not in rugby.
15-05-2019, 22:36   #117
Pauliedragon

Pretty recently most of the country got upset when an openly British man refused to play soccer for us. Isn't it a bit hypocritical to complain about McIlroy now?
15-05-2019, 22:36   #118
janfebmar

Quote:
If they were born on this island then I cheer them as Irish men and women.
So you cheer on some of those born in N. Ireland, but not all. Thats cleared up so.

Quote:
No, in respect of Linfield, I have no time for bigots.
Funny that, because on another thread, you condoned the pIRA, and you say they were right, so the people who play for Linfield and many clubs in N. Ireland would probably look on you as being the bigot.

Last edited by janfebmar; 15-05-2019 at 22:39.
15-05-2019, 22:38   #119
FrancieBrady

Quote:
So you cheer on some of those born in N. Ireland, but not all. Thats cleared up so.
I don't cheer bigots, wherever they come from. They are welcome to their 'chosen' identity.
15-05-2019, 22:57   #120
janfebmar

Quote:
I don't cheer bigots, wherever they come from. They are welcome to their 'chosen' identity.
One persons bigot is another mans hero. You are entitled, for example, to cheer whoever you want. People from the other side may think that people from clubs who have sports grounds named after terrorists are the bigots.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion