Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-05-2019, 19:49   #16
Ubbquittious

I never had to do any sacrements when I was going to primary school. Got exempted. How is this anything new?
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-05-2019, 19:55   #17
mad muffin

What mental retard parents wants to have this after school hours? There’s enough going on.

Soccer, GAA, swimming, beavers, and other after school activities. Definitely would not want this as well to be after school. I’m very happy that it’s done during school.

It doesn’t take up that much school time, and at 8 years old, it’s not like they are going to be missing too much.
15-05-2019, 20:14   #18
lawred2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs OBumble View Post
Wrong: kids aren't stupid, they do the sacraments for the dosh. It won't bother 'em to have to give up an hour a week when they could be doing homework, in order to get €500+ in return.
whose filling their kid's heads with such crap?
Thanks from:
15-05-2019, 20:46   #19
Fuaranach

It's always hypocritical when people give out about the Roman Church having the gall to teach their religion, or prepare children for their Roman Catholic sacraments, in schools which are the property of the same Roman Church.

The Irish state, and Irish citizens, are guests on the private property of a foreign business. They - the vast majority of schools in Ireland - are not owned by the Irish taxpayer, no matter how much funding the state gives to pay the current expenditure of these schools (the vast majority of such expenditure).

Until this situation is ended, beggars can't be choosers and the Roman Church should tell these people where to get off. Now, how many Irish people would be willing to pay billions of our taxes to buy that church out of its ownership of all these school properties? Or would you prefer the current rent-free situation and spend the billions elsewhere?
15-05-2019, 20:47   #20
kowloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs OBumble View Post
Wrong: kids aren't stupid, they do the sacraments for the dosh. It won't bother 'em to have to give up an hour a week when they could be doing homework, in order to get €500+ in return.
Wouldn't they still be getting the money if it was done during school hours? Nothing has changed for them other than extra hours lost not having fun.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-05-2019, 20:51   #21
freshpopcorn

The local parish around me tried to phase in a similar system a few years ago.
It involved the Communion being on Sunday instead of Saturday.
Most of the preparation being done outside of school.
Parents had to bring kids a few evenings or early to a few masses to prepare.(It wasn't a lot).
A massive fuss was kicked up by parents saying they were taking the faith out of school/etc. It was mostly caused by people who didn't believe or a la carte Catholics and some of those were always used always be on about separating church from state.
To parish caved in the end and moved the prep work back to the class room and a few other things.
15-05-2019, 20:55   #22
Always number 1

As someone who (will be lambasted for saying this) chose to enrol their child in a Catholic school (through the parish) it annoys me that my child may have to do Religious studies out of school.

While i do feel for anyone who had no choice but put their child in a Catholic school, surely they can be catered for with a different activity while others do Religious studies in the school environment
(3) thanks from:
15-05-2019, 20:59   #23
eviltwin

Can religion just not be moved to the last half hour of the day and those who aren't doing it just go home early?
(3) thanks from:
15-05-2019, 20:59   #24
freshpopcorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always number 1 View Post
As someone who (will be lambasted for saying this) chose to enrol their child in a Catholic school (through the parish) it annoys me that my child may have to do Religious studies out of school.

While i do feel for anyone who had no choice but put their child in a Catholic school, surely they can be catered for with a different activity while others do Religious studies in the school environment
In schools near me now.
Relgion is at last subject of the day. You can do it, get collected earlier or go into a room and do stuff with another teacher.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-05-2019, 21:01   #25
SEPT 23 1989

It must be a total shock for parents who enrolled their children in a Catholic School to have that forced on them
15-05-2019, 21:12   #26
One eyed Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltwin View Post
Can religion just not be moved to the last half hour of the day and those who aren't doing it just go home early?

That wouldn’t be feasible for a lot of parents who are already paying exorbitant after-school childminders fees or having to leave their work early to collect their children from school (there’s also the issue of once the children see one group of children leaving school early they’ll all want to leave early). There’s talks of extending the school day to accommodate working parents.
15-05-2019, 21:16   #27
eviltwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by One eyed Jack View Post
That wouldn’t be feasible for a lot of parents who are already paying exorbitant after-school childminders fees or having to leave their work early to collect their children from school (there’s also the issue of once the children see one group of children leaving school early they’ll all want to leave early). There’s talks of extending the school day to accommodate working parents.
Well it seems to work just fine in my school where there are children staying behind for other activities. If it can work for sport or music it can work for everything.

This is just another excuse. If those who want their child to do wherever want to get the school to assume responsibility then be willing to compromise
15-05-2019, 21:19   #28
Fr_Dougal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuaranach View Post
It's always hypocritical when people give out about the Roman Church having the gall to teach their religion, or prepare children for their Roman Catholic sacraments, in schools which are the property of the same Roman Church.

The Irish state, and Irish citizens, are guests on the private property of a foreign business. They - the vast majority of schools in Ireland - are not owned by the Irish taxpayer, no matter how much funding the state gives to pay the current expenditure of these schools (the vast majority of such expenditure).

Until this situation is ended, beggars can't be choosers and the Roman Church should tell these people where to get off. Now, how many Irish people would be willing to pay billions of our taxes to buy that church out of its ownership of all these school properties? Or would you prefer the current rent-free situation and spend the billions elsewhere?
You make some great points.

I’d be happy if the Church sorted out the payments that are due. https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...rs-871806.html
15-05-2019, 21:28   #29
ArnoldJRimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuaranach View Post

Do you reckon if we offer to clean up their grounds of all the child corpses, or maybe make those pesky abuse survivors keep quiet, they'd give us a discount?
(4) thanks from:
15-05-2019, 21:33   #30
Charles Ingles

Lets keep the sacraments holy for genuine Catholics .
I prayed the holy rosary with my children everyday until they left home,
I still pray it everyday, faith is a gift and should be treated as such.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion