Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

15-05-2019, 10:18   #61
sbsquarepants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeliebin30 View Post
Nigeria is in the EU??????
They're lobbying to join, my friend the Prince told me. I'm helping him raise funds for the campaign.
Advertisement
15-05-2019, 10:29   #62
suicide_circus

the only important question is;

are we going to repeat the mistakes made in other western EU countries in relation to immigration? are we going to allow parallel societies to develop? ghettoisation? lack of integration?
15-05-2019, 10:32   #63
Zorya

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynamejeff View Post
it came on when i turned the tv on and the first thing i saw was the horrible populist liberal fcuktard brid smith so i immediately turned it off again

i dont need that sort of stupid in my life
Had to google brid smith. I miss out on all the fun.
15-05-2019, 10:54   #64
Kivaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yurt! View Post
I suspect, and I don't have any data to back this up, that the numbers are quite a bit in excess of the CSO reported figures.
I would be inclined to think that inward migration from non-EU countries are far more in excess than the numbers provided by the CSO. These are numbers impossible to obtain obviously, but looking at nearby towns and cities, the dramatic population change in the last couple of year can be easily seen. This is a taboo subject, so no sitting politician would risk popping their head over the parapet to ask for a discussion about it.

Is it causing issues?
Most definitely it is.
In crowded GP offices, in overstretched hospitals where we already have people suffering the indignity of trolly-care, in the availability of affordable homes for people who are already living here. And if you look at homelessness (and I use that word loosely), the Dublin Region Homeless Executive says 21% of the new families presenting as homeless last year were non-EU citizens.
You could also talk about the impact on school places, cost to the exchequer on welfare provisions etc. etc.

So definitely, non-EU migration is causing issues.
And it is a subject that should be discussed openly.
(3) thanks from:
15-05-2019, 10:57   #65
mariaalice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivaro View Post
I would be inclined to think that inward migration from non-EU countries are far more in excess than the numbers provided by the CSO. These are numbers impossible to obtain obviously, but looking at nearby towns and cities, the dramatic population change in the last couple of year can be easily seen. This is a taboo subject, so no sitting politician would risk popping their head over the parapet to ask for a discussion about it.

Is it causing issues?
Most definitely it is.
In crowded GP offices, in overstretched hospitals where we already have people suffering the indignity of trolly-care, in the availability of affordable homes for people who are already living here. And if you look at homelessness (and I use that word loosely), the Dublin Region Homeless Executive says 21% of the new families presenting as homeless last year were non-EU citizens.
You could also talk about the impact on school places, cost to the exchequer on welfare provisions etc. etc.

Are any of them working and paying taxes?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-05-2019, 11:00   #66
Topgear on Dave

I doubt anybody has a clue how many people are in the country illegally, its bound to be far higher than reported.

I shared with quite a few foreigners and none ever filled in the census and they were here legally.
Thanks from:
15-05-2019, 11:01   #67
Yurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaalice View Post
Are any of them working and paying taxes?

You would think ones that were issued with PPSN numbers while students in English language centres or whatever are likely to yes. There will be many who work in the black economy off the books though.
15-05-2019, 11:14   #68
Topgear on Dave

Jayyysussss the Longford GP.

"Longford is oversaturated"

"Any immigrant coming to this country should know english and they have to have some education"

I find his lack of "wokeness" disturbing.

Was this show a bit of a pushback from "official ireland" because the numbers of asylum seekers coming in are getting larger and they dont know where to put them. 26% increase last year.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...26-911311.html

If we only deported 160 people last year it must be near impossible to get deported.
(2) thanks from:
15-05-2019, 11:17   #69
topper75

Anyone else uncomfortable about the skin colour reference?

"white Irish" - what a stupid label.

I'm Irish and I'm not defined by my skin colour, though it happens to be white, any more than I am defined by what cereal I eat for breakfast.

This seems like a daft attempt to ape other parts of the English speaking world, places that were saturated with racism and skin colour obsession.

All the same, I'm glad the whole thing is finally being discussed openly on the national broadcaster. I echo Wibbs' warning about the next crash and how we would cope welfare-wise.

Our politicians need to start explaining their plans to us, and soon.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
15-05-2019, 11:18   #70
Outlaw Pete

Just watched it there (player detects AdBlock Plus but not uBlock thankfully) and as said above, fair amount of nonsense on it, but at least they (RTE) are at least showing that they are now willing to air views which don't see the level of influx as all positive for Ireland and that's something.

Half expected them to have someone like that Grand Tourino chap on or Justin Barrett, so they could link those who feel the level of immigration has been too much with the extreme right wing, something RTE has done in the past.

Not that I feel they shouldn't be given airtime, but just that they shouldn't be only ones given airtime to represent the opposition on the issue as it just suggests that those who would like to see the numbers coming in slowing are a small number on the extremes, when that's not the case at all, the view is much more mainstream than that.
(2) thanks from:
15-05-2019, 11:25   #71
weldoninhio

Quote:

Is it causing issues?
Most definitely it is.

One thing I don't understand, if someone from the EU comes here and can't support themselves after 3 months they can be sent back to their home country. Why can't we do this with non-EU people? If someone is non-EU, they should 100% not be receiving state housing if they cannot afford to be here.
15-05-2019, 11:31   #72
Diceicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicide_circus View Post
the only important question is;

are we going to repeat the mistakes made in other western EU countries in relation to immigration? are we going to allow parallel societies to develop? ghettoisation? lack of integration?
Yes. Yes we are.
We don't have a political party with the stones to grasp that nettle.
15-05-2019, 11:32   #73
Yurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
One thing I don't understand, if someone from the EU comes here and can't support themselves after 3 months they can be sent back to their home country. Why can't we do this with non-EU people? If someone is non-EU, they should 100% not be receiving state housing if they cannot afford to be here.
I doubt that power has ever been used by the Irish gov. Pre-Brexit the UK started doing just that, and they upset a lot of European partners, mostly the likes of Poland / Romania / Hungary.
15-05-2019, 11:33   #74
baldbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgear on Dave View Post
Jayyysussss the Longford GP.

"Longford is oversaturated"

"Any immigrant coming to this country should know english and they have to have some education"

I find his lack of "wokeness" disturbing.

Was this show a bit of a pushback from "official ireland" because the numbers of asylum seekers coming in are getting larger and they dont know where to put them. 26% increase last year.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...26-911311.html

If we only deported 160 people last year it must be near impossible to get deported.
Longford is a dumping ground. There was/is a direct provision centre there, The Richmond court, owned by a local politician a few years back. He was making good money off the taxpayer. It was depressing seeing these guys tramping the streets with nothing to do all day.

I would like to see the figures on rejected applications from direct provision centres? 2 or more they should be ejected ASAP & not allowed to remain in the country for years appealing the decision.
(3) thanks from:
15-05-2019, 11:34   #75
Diceicle

Quote:
And if you look at homelessness (and I use that word loosely), the Dublin Region Homeless Executive says 21% of the new families presenting as homeless last year were non-EU citizens.
FG/FF/SF/SD can't, won't and in SF and SD case, wouldn't kick out failed asylum seekers - what chance would we have of those parties proposing that Non-EU nationals who aren't self-sufficient here return home?
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion