Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Prime time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

fryup wrote: »
    and how about the undocumented irish in america??? we want special status for them??

typical irish hypocrisy

The undocumented in America work and pay for their accommodation if the didn't the would starve and be on the street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

and how about the undocumented irish in america??? we want special status for them??

typical irish hypocrisy

They should be sent home if undocumented.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

typical irish hypocrisy

I don't want any amnesty shown towards them.

They should be treated the same as any other illegal immigrant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Patty Hearst

Ah here... this has got to be a piss take.... How would they fund this? where would they house them?

Any proof?

Don't have time to source it now but it was mentioned a number of times during the private members bill debate at the time.

Quote from David Norris during the debate:

"It is important that we have accurate statements from the Minister. On Second Stage, I queried his statement that the average number of members of family for which applications for reunification were made under the scheme was 20. I do not believe that for one second and an analysis of the figures released by the Department suggests the figure is inaccurate. One application was for more than 70 family members, which is most extraordinary"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭conorhal

Diceicle wrote: »
    FG/FF/SF/SD can't, won't and in SF and SD case, wouldn't kick out failed asylum seekers - what chance would we have of those parties proposing that Non-EU nationals who aren't self-sufficient here return home?

None. that's the answer.

Instead we're dealing with the problem by offering an amnesty to people that can frustrate the system long enough, in the middle of a housing crisis FFS.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/new-amnesty-scheme-for-5500-immigrants-37419340.html
    More than 5,000 undocumented immigrants in Ireland could be eligible to apply for permission to remain in the State under a new scheme to be announced today.
    Justice Minister Charlie Flanagan will announce details of the scheme to allow people from countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) who have no valid visa to be allowed to stay.
    The scheme will be open for three months, from today until January 20, 2019.

What they're not telling you is that this 'new initiative' just formalises what has actually been unofficial policy for years. Successive ministers have been quietly granting massive numbers of leave to remain orders to clear out asylum centers and to nobody's surprise, this creates quite a pull factor for asylum frauds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Kivaro wrote: »
    But it's more than self-deprecating though at this stage.
    Irish liberals and those who support parties such as Sinn Fein have us going on the path of self-destruction. The ultimate goal of people with this mindset is to make the Irish people a minority in the whole of Ireland. Maybe we will remain the majority in the far western reaches of Connaught.

“Irish people are in the minority. And we would see that as a positive”.
    Imagine if anyone said that about a minority group in Ireland who were not Irish. There would be uproar in the Irish media; it would not be acceptable.
    But it's fine in this context apparently, because they were only talking about the Irish natives.

Regarding the RTE piece being balanced?
    Not a chance. They interviewed a Pakastani who said that Longford is full and has no more room for migrants. This Pakastani was a doctor, so once again RTE are trying to subtly portray the notion that all the non-EU migrants arriving on your shores are doctors, engineers, and scientists and highly qualified. This is not the case.

I would also suggest that Primetime should be daring and bold and interview a different set of Irish people about their views on unlimited migration. For example, interview people leaving their workplaces and factories etc. I understand that the RTE unions would object to their members working at ungodly hours to ask these questions, but they would get a more balanced view on the subject ................ if that was the objective.

Then here is my view. This is what I see this is hardly confined to north of the Liffey I still live in one of the more established suburbs southside and my mother spent a lifetime paying off a mortgage on what was a prestigious enough road for the area but when old Mrs. Mulhall next door passed away the council snapped it up and renovated it housing a couple of our friends. It soon became a large; extended family of east africans spanning three generations and I don’t even think they speak the same language so a simple hello will suffice but does the government not think a sense of resentment can develop out of this type of scenario??

In fact there are so many of foreign appearance up and down the street on a daily basis it is hard to keep tabs I mean it really is like operation transformation. Almost overnight; it seems and then there’s even more of their kids wearing the same school uniform I used to wear even my partner comments on it being of eastern appearance herself and these are just the obvious cases who’s to assume that white is even irish anymore?! And all this in a short enough space of time so what’s the plan 2040 is it... when 2020 was a distant enough vision but I will be retreating to the wicklow hills I reckon because when a house doesn’t feel like home anymore then it is probably time to jump ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw bits of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

typical irish hypocrisy

Who’s we?? I think any illegals in Ireland should be deported ASAP.

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Then here is my view. This is what I see this is hardly confined to north of the Liffey I still live in one of the more established suburbs southside and my mother spent a lifetime paying off a mortgage on what was a prestigious enough road for the area but when old Mrs. Mulhall next door passed away the council snapped it up and renovated it housing a couple of our friends. It soon became a large; extended family of east africans spanning three generations and I don’t even think they speak the same language so a simple hello will suffice but does the government not think a sense of resentment can develop out of this type of scenario??

In fact there are so many of foreign appearance up and down the street on a daily basis it is hard to keep tabs I mean it really is like operation transformation. Almost overnight; it seems and then there’s even more of their kids wearing the same school uniform I used to wear even my partner comments on it being of eastern appearance herself and these are just the obvious cases who’s to assume that white is even irish anymore?! And all this in a short enough space of time so what’s the plan 2040 is it... when 2020 was a distant enough vision but I will be retreating to the wicklow hills I reckon because when a house doesn’t feel like home anymore then it is probably time to jump ship.

This is happening in every town in Ireland right now. Just seeing schools kids in their uniforms around town where I live shows a dramatic increase of Non Eu Nationals in the last 2 years.

Simon Coveny said that 'every town in Ireland will be diverse' so there will nowhere to escape. emigration will be the only choice.

We are heading for major, major trouble in this country. People need to get over their fears and start talking about it.

The path Ireland is on is beyond reckless and in fact is the path least likely to succeed and the path almost guaranteed to lead to social disintegration.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

This is happening in every town in Ireland right now. Just seeing schools kids in their uniforms around town where I live shows a dramatic increase of Non Eu Nationals in the last 2 years.

i think its great to see people from other races living here, its about time irish discovered there more than just white people living in this world (and other religions as well)

• Advertisement

i think its great to see people from other races living here, its about time irish discovered there more than just white people living in this world (and other religions as well)

At least you inadvertently admit that you wish to transform the demographics of this country. That for you, the idea of Ireland being populated by 'white' Irish alone is a terrible thing.

The self loathing and hatred of ones own race is coming to the surface more and more these days.

The average number of family members applied for per person is 20.

One person recently applied for 70 family members.

It's 2 - 3

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PQ-29-11-2017-181

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

typical irish hypocrisy

Illegals at home and abroad should be deported. If you cant abide by immigration law in the country you reside in then hard luck and frankly good riddance.

In fairness most Irish abroad make a good effort to work, abide by laws and integrate into the culture bar the few stragglers. The same with immigrants to Ireland. I do believe we need to tighten up immigration though in line with our available housing resources and jobs.

Go away with your Irish hypocrisy bollocks!

If its two to three then why was the number of 20 discussed in the debates?

Why was there an attempt to expand the numbers a person could apply for?

Judging by your comments here, your position is to deflect, deny, distract, derail..

In other words you are a shill, and it would not surprise me if you were an active member of one of PBP, Sinn Fein, Social Democrats or working for vested interest NGO

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

That's what holidays are for.

Through my occupation and personal interest, I'd consider myself fairly widely travelled and attuned to different cultures. It's from going to these very places that I can say with conviction that some morés, cultures and patterns of behaviour should be left in the native environment that produced them - and not brought to Ireland so people from leafy suburbs can give themselves high-fives.

If an potential immigrant displays a willingness to contribute, get stuck-in and learn our way of life, great I say. I'll take all of those you can get, and I don't care if he's blue, purple or green-skinned. Let's be real though, that's not everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭John DoeReMi

Brid Smith is utterly unbearable.

Who votes these people in?

Knuckle draggers in working class areas who think it's all the Gubbement's fault and that the Gubbbement should pay everyone to do nothing all day and it's all Bono's fault cos he doesn't pay any tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭John DoeReMi

Kivaro wrote: »
    But it's more than self-deprecating though at this stage.
    Irish liberals and those who support parties such as Sinn Fein have us going on the path of self-destruction. .

Surely most Sinn Fein voters would be anti-immigration at least if not outright racist? The kind of knuckle dragger who votes for SF isn't going to be out celebrating Africa Day in the Iveagh Gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Knuckle draggers in working class areas who think it's all the Gubbement's fault and that the Gubbbement should pay everyone to do nothing all day and it's all Bono's fault cos he doesn't pay any tax.

Usually fierce patriotic types too.

Pity they don't live up to the idea of - 'Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country.'

If its two to three then why was the number of 20 discussed in the debates?

Why was there an attempt to expand the numbers a person could apply for?
    You didn't provide a link, why don't you do your own research?

I'm just showing you what the Department has published. The average numbers of family members reunited with their loved ones is 2 - 3.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

At least you inadvertently admit that you wish to transform the demographics of this country. That for you, the idea of Ireland being populated by 'white' Irish alone is a terrible thing.

The self loathing and hatred of ones own race is coming to the surface more and more these days.
    It seems to be a mix of needing to telegraph such view to get a Right On merit badge and some White self flagellation nonsense whinging about the "sins" of our forefathers. It's a sign of a culture losing self confidence in itself. Something quite the few non western cultures do not suffer from. When those two meet, who wins?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I don't think we have a beef with them existing.

We knew they existed.

What our problem tends to be is more the idea being pushed on us that we owe them a living here, or the idea that we might be KKK slipknot-swinging racists for having the temerity to question who might be defrauding the Irish exchequer.

Unless of course you want to 'discover' me and I pop around to slum on your couch and watch TV for a few weeks whilst you go out to the kitchen and stick few slices of Mr. Brennans in the toaster. Ham, cheese, and but no onions... I don't eat onions... you need to know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Yet another thread descends into sexist comments about women doing their jobs.

Unfollow.

...and off the White Knight goes on his steed.

If anything some comments about Miriam are arguably ageist; plenty women over 50 retain their looks and even get better with age

Also she and others work in the public eye.

But that's a debate for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Kilkenny the second least diverse county in Ireland. You wouldn't know if you visited Kilkenny city given it is a tourist hub so there are always a lot of people from abroad around.

Overall immigration is very good for the country, but it has to be managed in a sustainable way. That means immigration from outside the EU/EEA is where it has to be managed, we all have right to live, work and retire if we want in another EU state, and I think this is a right most people cherish.

I did find the language used that "white Irish" people (as used by PrimeTime) being in a minority in a certain area of Dublin was a 'positive' as something that just sounds all wrong. I mean I don't think it is a positive or negative once people integrate into society.

The EU did a public survey earlier this year (similar to the clocks change survey) which was open to all EU citizens to respond to which included questions about immigration and other issue facing the EU. It is clear the EU sees immigration as something that needs managing. Maybe with it affecting politics across Europe they know they need to change the approach.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Nobody has a problem with different races living here. The problem is the amount that are coming in and lack political debate about it.
    When you have coveney saying every town in the country will have immigrants you realise where things are headed and nobody is allowed to want different

liam7831 wrote: »
    She looked well tonight in fairness

someone said she has the tits of a 25yr old vegas dancer!!

yeah right FFS, take off that bra and she can walk and shine her shoes with them at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

As see that's where you're wrong as a little known piece of trivia is that large boobs have a buoy like effect in the water and so not only would the tide take her out, but she would indeed be quite safe at sea until such time as was spotted by the coastguard and brought to safety.

But if a Japanese whaling ship spotted her first, then it would be curtains for poor Biddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

When you have coveney saying every town in the country will have immigrants you realise where things are headed and nobody is allowed to want different[/QUOTE]

The same towns around the country that all the young people are leaving due to lack of jobs.What are the immigrants going to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

We would all be far poorer without immigrants.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

RobertKK wrote: »
    We would all be far poorer without immigrants.

Moderation . Like all things in life

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭TheDiceMan2020

Pretty insulting attitude to have about your own countrymen.

Advertisement