Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

05-05-2019, 11:25   #31
BattleCorp

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Bee View Post
It should be in some cases, in many ways free speech was a mistake.
There's a very big difference in having a discussion about a topic that many people have different view about and going out shouting 'kill the gays, kill the nigg3rs, kill the Irish'.

They are two very different things.

If what that lady said can be considered hate speech, we are really fcuked.
Advertisement
05-05-2019, 11:26   #32
RasTa

^ That's your problem then, looking at Twitter.
05-05-2019, 11:30   #33
Candamir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augme View Post
Well, if it's on Twitter....
It’s in real life too, but I’m not a transphobic, ‘not into dick’ lesbian, so it’s not directed at me.

Anyways, if Twitter doesn’t count, I guess Martina Navratilova can have her job back.
(4) thanks from:
05-05-2019, 11:31   #34
Zorya

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmetSpiceland View Post
People need to decide whether they want to be in politics or work in the private sector. .
And what happens when it spreads to the private sector? When it is enshrined in legislation that everyone must accept and recite feelings over biology in all circumstances?
05-05-2019, 11:31   #35
STB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Bee View Post
It should be in some cases, in many ways free speech was a mistake.

Because it doesn't conform to yours ?

Freedom of Speech and Freedom of opinion.

If you do not like it, move to a dictatorship and see how you get on.

In my opinion there is too much shíte talk about this whole subject for what is a minuscule issue. She is very likely to win her case.
Advertisement
05-05-2019, 11:35   #36
EmmetSpiceland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorya View Post
And what happens when it spreads to the private sector? When it is enshrined in legislation that everyone must accept and recite feelings over biology in all circumstances?
You work under the guidelines the employer sets out for you. If you don’t like them you don’t have to work there.

There are currently a large number of teachers working in catholic schools teaching religion to kids, the ones who don’t have a problem with that carry on, the ones who do teach in a non-denominational.
05-05-2019, 11:37   #37
Augme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candamir View Post
It’s in real life too, but I’m not a transphobic, ‘not into dick’ lesbian, so it’s not directed at me.

Anyways, if Twitter doesn’t count, I guess Martina Navratilova can have her job back.
Ive never seen or heard of a situation where a lesbian has had to have sex with someone who has a penis because "society" told her to.
(2) thanks from:
05-05-2019, 11:38   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmetSpiceland View Post
You work under the guidelines the employer sets out for you. If you don’t like them you don’t have to work there.

There are currently a large number of teachers working in catholic schools teaching religion to kids, the ones who don’t have a problem with that carry on, the ones who do teach in a non-denominational.
She didn't express those opinions in work.

Your employer should have no control over opinions you express outside of work.
05-05-2019, 11:40   #39
Zorya

Quote:
Originally Posted by STB. View Post
Because it doesn't conform to yours ?

Freedom of Speech and Freedom of opinion.

If you do not like it, move to a dictatorship and see how you get on.

In my opinion there is too much shíte talk about this whole subject for what is a minuscule issue. She is very likely to win her case.
There is a lot of ****e talk and maybe it is a fringe issue but it has much wider implications that will only grow in time - there is now compulsory speech, but eventually there will be compulsory thought.
Essentially what one is asked to believe and say is that a human being changes their sex according to their inner feelings. This is not possible.
I am not saying that people should not be allowed to feel like whatever sex they want, that's fine and it has no implications in most of ordinary life - but when it comes to certain important and pragmatic issues like prisons, domestic violence refuges, rape crises shelters, hospitals, sports scholarships, showering facilities in secondary schools and so on - these are open to abuse, even by messers and also by people with bad intentions.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
05-05-2019, 11:41   #40
Brendan Delaney
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappa Dolla View Post
Once again, a person was allowed an opinion and faced the consequences of having that opinion.

Saying things have consequences!

I'm free to call my boss all manners of names to their face, however the consequence would be that I'd probably get sacked.

I don't get how people have forgotten that consequences are actual things!
'People should aspire to be submissive bootlickers who never question anything'.
(2) thanks from:
05-05-2019, 11:41   #41
suicide_circus

https://medium.com/@transphilosophr/...k-9363515e0bfd
Thanks from:
05-05-2019, 11:42   #42
Fr_Dougal

Will somebody wake me up when all of this is over and tell me what I should think, please. It seems that none of us are allowed to have our own views on certain subjects anymore.

I’ll draw the line at calling myself ‘cis’, isn’t it gas that the same people who want us to accept all LBGTQ+ terms, are the very ones who want us to change how straight people refer to themselves.

Let the double standards continue until they eat themselves.
05-05-2019, 11:42   #43
EmmetSpiceland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Jones View Post

When you become “world renowned” for your work I think the waters get muddied.

A junior employee who no one knows where they are employed is probably fine to spout nonsense but when you’re further up the food chain you’re going to face potential consequences, whether right or wrong.
05-05-2019, 11:43   #44
Augme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Jones View Post

Employers can never control what an employee says outside work. However an employer should have the right to decide if they want to no longer employ someone based on opinions they have expressed outside of work.
(4) thanks from:
05-05-2019, 11:47   #45
Gimme A Pound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappa Dolla View Post
Once again, a person was allowed an opinion and faced the consequences of having that opinion.

Saying things have consequences!

I'm free to call my boss all manners of names to their face, however the consequence would be that I'd probably get sacked.

I don't get how people have forgotten that consequences are actual things!
And in this case the consequences are ridiculously harsh, which is what's being discussed. Anyone can see that if they're honest.

She didn't call her boss anything.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion