Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Top three - Nordic food

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

For me it would have to be:
    meatballs
    pancakes with ice cream(even though I'm not a fan of ice cream it's lovely on pancakes)
    pizza with sliced banana and curry powder(it's surprisingly yummy):D

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Writing this from Scandi Kitchen in London, must say I forgot how nice meatball and beetroot sallad sandwiches are :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

Mmmmm... beetroot sallad! *drools*
    It even works with Christmas ham ... although nothing beats skånsk senap in that area :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭mmmmmmm.......

Swedish food delivered to anywhere in the world!!

http://www.swedishfoodshop.com//

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Cicilulu

Top three
    Lingonberry jam
    Julmust
    Kantarells (freshly picked) on toast - I would love some now!

There are lots of good and interesting foods in Sweden, but when they get it wrong, they get it very wrong!

Bottom three
    Surstömming - trust your nose
    Swedish Licorice - it's ok at first until you get a mouthful of ammonia, then you'll wish you had a mouthful of surströmming
    Rotten and mouldy fruit and veg that Swedish supermarkets seem not to notice or care about. Coop are the worst.

• Advertisement

Cicilulu wrote: »
    Bottom three
    Surstömming - trust your nose
    Swedish Licorice - it's ok at first until you get a mouthful of ammonia, then you'll wish you had a mouthful of surströmming
    Rotten and mouldy fruit and veg that Swedish supermarkets seem not to notice or care about. Coop are the worst.

Some of us can't live without it, ya know... :rolleyes:
    Mmmmmmm... salty liquorice. Yum!

How do you feel about kroppkakor? I think they should be on your bottom-list too :)

How do you feel about kroppkakor? I think they should be on your bottom-list too :)

I haven't had those. I've just googled it and I'm afraid I must opt out because I don't eat pork. But I do like vegetarian pyttipanna with fried egg and beets!

My hubby (a Swede) loves that licorice too. I guess I am a bit jealous that I can't scoff his goodies! There is a licorice speciality shop close to his office so he often has a bag. I like the loose goodies you can buy in the supermarkets. Dark chocolate covered cashews, yum!

I'd say there are plenty of Irish things that gross you out too. Crubeens perhaps? Can I tempt you to a nice coddle perhaps?

There are only a few things that I bother to import to Sweden. Barry's gold blend tea bags and pearl barley. Mince pies and Christmas pudding at Christmas.

I confess I haven't tried surströmming. I won't even touch sill.

I'd love to see some nordic people's bottom three Irish foods and top threes if you have them (Irish food isn't exactly fine dining).

Cicilulu wrote: »
    I haven't had those. I've just googled it and I'm afraid I must opt out because I don't eat pork. But I do like vegetarian pyttipanna with fried egg and beets!

My hubby (a Swede) loves that licorice too. I guess I am a bit jealous that I can't scoff his goodies! There is a licorice speciality shop close to his office so he often has a bag. I like the loose goodies you can buy in the supermarkets. Dark chocolate covered cashews, yum!

I'd say there are plenty of Irish things that gross you out too. Crubeens perhaps? Can I tempt you to a nice coddle perhaps?

There are only a few things that I bother to import to Sweden. Barry's gold blend tea bags and pearl barley. Mince pies and Christmas pudding at Christmas.

I confess I haven't tried surströmming. I won't even touch sill.

I'd love to see some nordic people's bottom three Irish foods and top threes if you have them (Irish food isn't exactly fine dining).

We have some sort of crubeen/pigs foot also around Christmas, I'd never eat it though. Yuck!
    I have to confess of all the Irish food I've tried, I'm not very fond of Guinnses or the Irish fry (saying it is a sin!). It's just that the black pudding doesn't taste like the one I'm used to, white pudding is strange and so are the wee sausages :o

... But I couldn't possibly live without the McDonnell's curry sauce :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

One of the delights of Nordic cuisine, karjalanpiirakka (Karelian rice pasty) from eastern Finland. Made with rye dough, boiled rice filling and served with a mixture of mashed hardboiled eggs and butter.

I have been told that in the old days real connoisseurs could identify exactly which village a Karelian pasty came from, because the lady who made them always left her distinctive mark ...:D:D:D

Karjalanpiirakka.JPG

^^^ My grandma makes those :)
    I was never very fond of them, it's something about the egg/butter combination along with the rice that doesn't appeal to me. But I really like Porkkanalaatikko! :)

• Advertisement

Just realised, today is "Fat Tuesday"

20110113-132105-semla-milk.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

If you missed the Hairy Bikers cookery show in Norway last night you missed a great piece of TV.

Here are the recipes for those interested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/programmes/b01dlc4f

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

Theres two new cake type of things on the market now from sweden (or at least based on swedish stuff) and they are absolutely savage, love them !

yfnFT.jpg?2

wmsxH.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

No mention of these? How disappointing :)

1. Medisterpølse with Vendsysselsgrønlangkål and suger browned potatos and brown sauce. The sourcing of the sausage has to be from a local butcher as the super market variety is nothing close.

2. Home made warm leverpostej with bacon, mushrooms on freshly baked ryebread, served with an ice cold beer.

3. Tarteletter with chicken and asparagus, topped with parsley.

And all the fine meals that goes with Aquavit.

wonton wrote: »
    Theres two new cake type of things on the market now from sweden (or at least based on swedish stuff) and they are absolutely savage, love them !

yfnFT.jpg?2

wmsxH.jpg?1

I've tried the Almonds one. It's v nice warmed up gently in a low microwave, served with icecream. But the cake is very hard to slice a piece from when frozen. But worth the effort.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's Scandinavian Cuisine coming up in Lidl http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/29109.htm

(You might want to steer clear of the meatballs ;) )

Tabnabs wrote: »
    It's Scandinavian Cuisine coming up in Lidl http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/29109.htm

(You might want to steer clear of the meatballs ;) )

Not a great selection imho. If I ever move back to Ireland, none of this is the stuff I'd miss.

Definitely avoid the meatballs! Much nicer to make your own anyway. I make large batches of organic beef meatballs for my freezer.

If I had to choose something from the Lidl selection it would be the almond tart.

I wonder if they'll do an Irish theme up here in Sverige...

...... with Irish curry sauce (mine is running out so i need to go to Ireland to fetch some) and all sorts of lovely stuff you put in your sandwiches :)

Food is really nice in Ireland. Although, I do miss my pastry-fika whenever I'm there :o

Proof that Norwegians have a robust palate (especially if the ingredients of forepølse are anything to go by...)
    http://www.tnp.no/norway/panorama/3561-horse-meat-becomes-popular-in-norway

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

My top three (including sneaky links to my food blog) are:

1) Frikadeller
    2) Kanelsnegle
    3) Guld Ærter med Flæsk

And even though I only eat it at Christmas:
    4)Risengrød

• Advertisement

wonton wrote: »

yfnFT.jpg?2

wmsxH.jpg?1

It might be best to steer clear of these for a while... :(
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/mar/05/ikea-withdraws-almond-cakes-faecal-bacteria

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭NordicDiver

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I'm gonna say

But I have a real soft spot for Fiskepudding that nobody else shares :(

yummi :pac:

How could I forget ostkaka? :):)
    ... straight from the oven served with cream and strawberry jam :D

Pardon my French, but bläh.. I was never a fan. Maybe I just didn't have the right ostkaka yet.

I know what you mean, biko. I used to not like it either... but recently I've caught myself thinking how I wouldn't mind a bit of ostkaka :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

I read ostkaka, then I thought of smörgåstårta, now I want to spy.

Nom nom nom.....

*eats all the smörgåstårta* :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

LCHF diet dag 3 - Jag känner mig som ambulerande bacon vid det här läget

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

It's midsommar,I've been dancing to a song about small frogs and their lack of ears and tails,and now I'm a bit mouldy, but please,Sweden- stop putting bernaise sås with everything. Trevligt midsommar allihopa !!!!!!

• Advertisement

When I moved to Sweden first I convinced my other half the blueberry soup was not a good thing. Too much sugar, not enough blueberries. Move forward in time a few years... bad case of food poisoning and blueberry soup is the only thing that I can tolerate. Now I love the stuff.
    I didn't trust mustard from a tube... but now it's one of my favourites. Lågom on my veggie prinskorv along with pickles.
    Slowly but surely I am being assimilated.

Advertisement