Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meetup Group, to speak German

• 23-02-2015 9:52pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just had an idea. Would anyone be interested in meeting socially to speak German exclusively. I could learn German until I'm blue in the face, but I'm not speaking it, then it won't sink in.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Wo?

I'd also recommend signing up for Duolingo, where there are some excellent German language links, a recent one on the A1 certificate from Goethe:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQO4zjppdr8
    to give an idea what is needed for a basic level.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I use duolingo and I have it as an app on my phone. My wife is semi fluent in the language, but meeting others to improve our German would be fun.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Manach wrote: »
    Wo?...

I suppose if there is a large enough interest, then where ever is easiest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

I would also be interested, based in the North East. I am only intermediate level so not fluent.

Anyone else interested? And out of interest, is anyone else trying to learn additional languages? I'm having a look at Danish and Swedish.

• Advertisement

Itzy wrote: »
    Anyone else interested? And out of interest, is anyone else trying to learn additional languages? I'm having a look at Danish and Swedish.

I am interested in learning other languages (Irish and French are the next two on my list), but at the moment I am just concentrating on German.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 389 ✭✭micromary

Checkout www.meetup.com. There are several German groups where you can meet native German speakers.

Thanks for that Mary.

micromary wrote: »
    Checkout www.meetup.com. There are several German groups where you can meet native German speakers.

The only issue with those groups is they are normally ex-pat native level speakers and there are usually very few (if any) German as a second language learners at the meet-ups (in my experience anyway). That's why I would rather a language learning group meet-up instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Finance Grad 2015

There is a group in Cork called Stammtisch that meet up weekly/bi weekly for German learners to meet up and speak in a social setting. All levels welcome! Cork German Stammtisch is the name of the facebook group :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 mollythecat

Hi all,
    Following this with interest as trying to learn German on my own for a while. It is dfficult to so without regular conversation practice. I would be interested in meeting up in the general Leinster area

Hi all,
    Following this with interest as trying to learn German on my own for a while. It is dfficult to so without regular conversation practice. I would be interested in meeting up in the general Leinster area

I'm in the same boat as yourself. I can learn verbs, vocabulary and phrases until I'm blue in the face, but without conversation, it's going to waste.

Anything going to happen with this?

I don't know to be honest. I suppose the majority of people interested in learning German would be in Dublin. So I imagine that's where an form of a social group would meet up.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭penzo

Itzy wrote: »

I started studying german in college there in september after having done swedish in my spare time for about 3 years. (done french for leaving cert back when).

swedish pronunciation is much harder than german, however swedish lacks much of the complex grammar of german.

but i've actually found german much easier to learn. knowing so much swedish vocabulary definitely helped and having already studied a language did too, but mostly the resources for german are so vast you can never get stuck for any help or a another book to learn with.

I also found the case systems and other grammar structures useful as something to lean on? like with swedish is sort of feels like you learn a some basic grammar and then it's just and endless game of vocab.

Advertisement