Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineers Ireland Membership

• 14-04-2020 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all, I have been a member of EI for >10yrs and begrudge paying out the yearly fees as I dont feel they give enough back to their members. I feel their courses are overpriced and they should be providing these courses under the cost of the membership. I dont think they do enough to regulate pay-scales or promote Engineers as a profession.

Only reason I have continued to stay with them is that I am registered as CEng and this appears to get scoring points on interviews. Am I missing something they are providing their members? Membership of 300e seems steep for just getting to stick the title on the CV.

Maybe most dont think about it as its covered by their employer.

Whats your thoughts on Engineers Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I don't need chartered status in my career track, so I haven't been a member since I was a student. I view them as little more than a parasite on the industry. They do nothing to protect the title of engineer, instead inventing their own titles and charging through the nose to apply to be recognised as a professional - no thanks, guys, my PhD is actually worth something, unlike your makey-uppy titles. I had a hell of a time getting them to accept my resignation too, ultimately having to threaten them with the data protection commissioner if they didn't delete my data.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 837897

Thanks mikhail, I think I would do the same but I know that in the Public Sector having a CEng is worth alot of scoring points in the interview process(even more than years exp post degree at times). Its a bit annoying that the PS will rate the CEng in interviews but not pay for Employees subscription once they hire them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

mikhail wrote: »
    I don't need chartered status in my career track, so I haven't been a member since I was a student. I view them as little more than a parasite on the industry. They do nothing to protect the title of engineer, instead inventing their own titles and charging through the nose to apply to be recognised as a professional - no thanks, guys, my PhD is actually worth something, unlike your makey-uppy titles. I had a hell of a time getting them to accept my resignation too, ultimately having to threaten them with the data protection commissioner if they didn't delete my data.

Engineer is not protected. Any one can call themselfs and engineer.

Chartered Engineer is a protected title.

godtabh wrote: »
    Engineer is not protected. Any one can call themselfs and engineer.

Chartered Engineer is a protected title.
    In this jurisdiction, yes. That's an abject failure on the part of the local professional body.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

I would never pay for it if it wasn't covered by my employer. I thought that some ps bodies do cover the cost?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

In this jurisdiction, yes. That's an abject failure on the part of the local professional body.

Its not as that is how its been historically and is inline with our nearest neighbor. Its in line with the US.

Its not as that is how its been historically and is inline with our nearest neighbor. Its in line with the US.
    Argumentum ad antiquitatem doesn't hold any weight with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

837897 wrote: »
    Thanks mikhail, I think I would do the same but I know that in the Public Sector having a CEng is worth alot of scoring points in the interview process(even more than years exp post degree at times). Its a bit annoying that the PS will rate the CEng in interviews but not pay for Employees subscription once they hire them.

It doesn't pay subs in engineering roles?? Are you sure?

Clearly this thread isn't for you then

Engineers Ireland (despite their best efforts) is still a civil engineers old boys club.

Its main function is to support CEng. With c. 24,000 members I'd say 90% are either civil or structural engineers. Building regulations play a big role in those industries. A charted engineer is only 1 of 3 professions that have the competence to do building Regulation sign off. Clearly there are other competent professions but they aren't regulated.

Chartered Engineers are empowered to act as assigned certifiers and also have specific powers in relation to Fire and Safety Certification and the construction of Childcare Facilities and Nursing Homes.

If you aren't working towards CEng I wouldnt be a member.

I'm a member and a Charted Engineer. Also worked there for a couple of years. I'm also the only chartered engineer in my company and that means something. I also pay subs (and the president) of another professional body. Some people value the networks. Some people dont.

• Advertisement

This thread clearly isnt for you!

Clearly this thread isn't for you then
    This thread clearly isnt for you!
    Because Engineers Ireland has nothing else to offer?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That’s not true. I’m PS, and my employer pays my EI fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭cherrytaz

As a Chartered Engineer, would I lose my title if I stopped paying the annual membership fee? Or once chartered are you always "Chartered" as you have achieved it and have the paper to prove it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

cherrytaz wrote: »
    As a Chartered Engineer, would I lose my title if I stopped paying the annual membership fee? Or once chartered are you always "Chartered" as you have achieved it and have the paper to prove it?

As far as I am aware, you lose your chartership if you stop being a member of EI. I am open to correction though.

As far as I am aware, you lose your chartership if you stop being a member of EI. I am open to correction though.
    Sounds more like a shakedown than a qualification.

You will be removed from the list of Chartered Engineers.
    Therefore, you won’t be able to act as Assigned Certified under BCAR.

Sounds more like a shakedown than a qualification.

Not really, your paying to be kept on a statutory register. I have to pay the SCSI €400 per year to be kept on their register of Building Surveyors also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

I know for a fact that I'm getting paid 10k more annually in my current role due to chartership.

I also know of 2 previous roles where CEng was essential.
    Senior resident engineer for a particular project, I was involved in the tender, CEng was essential stipulation.
    Site agent on a scheme in UK, client stipulation again.

So whilst I begrudge the money, any year I cannot get an employer to cover it, I can't complain really.

I pay the money and do the CPD to retain the title.

Edit. I also enjoy the CPD and find it essential

• Registered Users Posts: 23,230 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi all, I have been a member of EI for >10yrs and begrudge paying out the yearly fees as I dont feel they give enough back to their members. I feel their courses are overpriced and they should be providing these courses under the cost of the membership. I dont think they do enough to regulate pay-scales or promote Engineers as a profession.

Only reason I have continued to stay with them is that I am registered as CEng and this appears to get scoring points on interviews. Am I missing something they are providing their members? Membership of 300e seems steep for just getting to stick the title on the CV.

Maybe most dont think about it as its covered by their employer.

I did electronic engineering and was a student member. I since worked for IBM, Motorola, Intel, Eirgrid and another small firm fir about 25 years as far as I was concerned it was a civil engineers group. Only joined them when I moved to a state Owned utility and they pay for it. I’ve Yet to see any benefit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Tails142

They get very snotty if you try to cancel, a lot of threats about continuing to use the title, might make you return the stamp if you bought one. It's a bit ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭KeithTS

ted1 wrote: »
    I did electronic engineering and was a student member. I since worked for IBM, Motorola, Intel, Eirgrid and another small firm fir about 25 years as far as I was concerned it was a civil engineers group. Only joined them when I moved to a state Owned utility and they pay for it. I’ve Yet to see any benefit

Also work as an EE and I never saw the point of EI. Around the time I was graduating they did a big push trying to get people to sign up for student/graduate membership. The only useful thing I got out of my student membership was using the card to scrape ice off my windshield.

Could you get your employer to pay for IEEE membership instead? It's much more useful to have for electronics.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Could you not register with one of the British bodies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Hi all, I have been a member of EI for >10yrs and begrudge paying out the ye

In my opinion it is an organisation that uses their position to gouge fees and overcharge for courses for members like myself. The phrase 'oh Clyde Road' was one I heard a lot during my younger days and it began to make sense as I aged. One feels, EI exists for EI and not for the members.
    A reluctant Chartered Engineer.

yes

Tails142 wrote: »
    They get very snotty if you try to cancel, a lot of threats about continuing to use the title, might make you return the stamp if you bought one. It's a bit ugly.

it is illegal to use the title if you aren't a chartered engineer. to be a charted engineer you need to be on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

I'm a +1 on the overpriced courses.

The typical one day course is 600e. It's madness! I only go to the free evening events, maybe once a year. My employer doesn't pay for courses.

I also have membership to a project management body. I pay 150e a year and get free access multiple events. It's a way better service and value for money. I'd leave Engineers Ireland if I could somehow retain the Chartered Engineer title. It's a valuable title when applying for public sector jobs, as people have noted previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

The typical one day course is 600e. It's madness! I only go to the free evening events, maybe once a year. My employer doesn't pay for courses.

I also have membership to a project management body. I pay 150e a year and get free access multiple events. It's a way better service and value for money. I'd leave Engineers Ireland if I could somehow retain the Chartered Engineer title. It's a valuable title when applying for public sector jobs, as people have noted previously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,288 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

KeithTS wrote: »
    Also work as an EE and I never saw the point of EI. Around the time I was graduating they did a big push trying to get people to sign up for student/graduate membership. The only useful thing I got out of my student membership was using the card to scrape ice off my windshield.

Could you get your employer to pay for IEEE membership instead? It's much more useful to have for electronics.

Same as this. I was an electronic engineer and never bothered with the membership. I looked into it once and it did not seem to offer anything of interest to me. Seems to be still the case 20 years later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

con1982 wrote: »

And if you ever do any of their courses, there is always a big push to finish early so instead of getting 7 hours' tuition you end up with 5.5 for the same price

Advertisement