Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ruger 10/22 Target Lite

• 09-04-2020 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all, I have been looking at the Ruger 10/22 target lite as an option to get into gallery rifle. I was hoping to get some feedback on what people think of this rifle as an off the shelf option for gallery rifle? I am aware that it would probably be cheaper to buy a normal 10/22 and change the barrel, stock, trigger etc. but I just want to plug and play so to speak.

I would love some feedback as to how it performs, I'm an average shooter so would like something that would be good for competition and not need to upgrade in a few years, grow into as opposed to grow out of, if you get my meaning?

Also any advice on suitable scopes and stockists in Ireland would be much appreciated.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭clivej

Hi all, I have been looking at the Ruger 10/22 target lite as an option to get into gallery rifle. I was hoping to get some feedback on what people think of this rifle as an off the shelf option for gallery rifle? I am aware that it would probably be cheaper to buy a normal 10/22 and change the barrel, stock, trigger etc. but I just want to plug and play so to speak.

I would love some feedback as to how it performs, I'm an average shooter so would like something that would be good for competition and not need to upgrade in a few years, grow into as opposed to grow out of, if you get my meaning?

Also any advice on suitable scopes and stockists in Ireland would be much appreciated.

Thanks all.

AFAIK......... GunShop.ie are the only dealers that carry a large stock of Ruger 10/22's off the shelf along with many, many custom parts and replacement parts.
    In Harbour House Sports Club every Saturday (after the Lockdown)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

How much is the Ruger 10/22 Target Lite because to customise a standard Ruger 10/22 into a good gun from scratch will cost near €2k.

Rough prices.

Standard Ruger €400ish
    Stock €150 - €300
    Kidd trigger €350 - €400
    Target barrel €300 - €500
    Kidd bolt and other internals ???
    Extended mag release €30
    20 MOA scope rail €50

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

Top Gun Sports has a custom KIDD 10/22.

KIDD 10/22 Black Receiver with 20MOA Rail
    KIDD Black Spiral Fluted Rifle Bull 18”
    KIDD Single Stage Trigger with Speed Release
    KIDD Silver Scallop Bolt
    KIDD Threaded Receiver Pins
    KIDD Bolt Charging Handle
    KIDD Guide Rod & Springs
    KIDD Bolt Buffer
    Boyds Evolution Stock (Grey)

Brand New condition,, extremely low round count. I know this because it was mine up untill recently.

Thanks all.

And even with the Ruger 10/22 target rifle the trigger is still heavy. So you would need to upgrade the trigger to make it as good as it can be.
    The last time a saw a new Ruger target rifle for sale in a dealers it was €700.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 WildRover72

PSXDupe wrote: »
    Top Gun Sports has a custom KIDD 10/22.

KIDD 10/22 Black Receiver with 20MOA Rail
    KIDD Black Spiral Fluted Rifle Bull 18”
    KIDD Single Stage Trigger with Speed Release
    KIDD Silver Scallop Bolt
    KIDD Threaded Receiver Pins
    KIDD Bolt Charging Handle
    KIDD Guide Rod & Springs
    KIDD Bolt Buffer
    Boyds Evolution Stock (Grey)

Brand New condition,, extremely low round count. I know this because it was mine up untill recently.

Very nice, I would definitely be interested in getting my hands on that. I will drop the gun dealer an email, why are you parting ways with it if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers WR72

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 WildRover72

clivej wrote: »
    And even with the Ruger 10/22 target rifle the trigger is still heavy. So you would need to upgrade the trigger to make it as good as it can be.
    The last time a saw a new Ruger target rifle for sale in a dealers it was €700.

Thanks for the reply Clive. My understanding is the Target lite is different to the Target model? The target lite has a BX trigger (no idea how it performs), it has a lite barrel which has a machined barrel with an aluminium sleeve, also comes with a laminated thumb hole stock. Looking at it I was thinking it may need an extended magazine release and maybe change the charging handle? I gotta say I like the look of it and the YouTube/online reviews are favourable but I would like to get any thoughts or feedback the forum. Appreciate your replies, cheers WR72

Very nice, I would definitely be interested in getting my hands on that. I will drop the gun dealer an email, why are you parting ways with it if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers WR72

Mainly shooting pistol and benchrest these days and want to get a .223 (again)

It's a super rifle. PM me your name and I'll mention it to Ivan (owner of Top Gun)

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Wadi14

The Target lite out of the box would be the best of the Ruger options for Gallery shooting, the BX trigger would be the first thing to look at, its a bit heavy for target shooting, you could drop a Kidd trigger kit into it about €200 im guessing,and it would make a vast improvement. So the target lite will definitely get you going no problem, but it is still a stock Ruger and with the ability to change about every thing on them you will down the line want to change every thing on it.

A Kidd custom rifle on the other hand is a different beast, a top class bit of kit. I really don't need to say anymore than that about them.

Research both options and prices, and we'll see you on the line soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Sorry for jumping in, just curious about some stuff. How much does it cost to upgrade a "standard" Ruger to a fully customiesd one?

Is there no other way to customise. As in do Kidd do actions? If not then can you buy an action and simply buy the parts to add onto it. IOW license the action then build rom there?

I only ask because to hand out a few hundred for a rifle to start off then however many hundreds of even thousands to upgrade seems expensive for a Ruger. Granted for Gallery and competition its a must to have the best stuff, i know this from my F-Class days, so not being a smart arse, just asking.

A ruger is something i've always wanted. Kind of an itch as i've never owned one and they seem like a fun rifle. The only thing stopping me is i won't be doing target work (well don't plan on it) but i'd like something a little better than the standard Ruger and it seems too much to put into a rifle that will only shoot rabbits.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass have a look at BattleCorp prices above in the thread,
    Im guessing most guys buy the ruger to get a serial number for applying for their licence, Im not sure if the aftermarket receivers are serial numbered from the factory, some of the guys who have them might enlighten us, I believe you have to then put your granted serial number on it when purchased. So I think that is where the problem of buying a receiver and adding to it comes from. But I may be wrong in that.
    Maybe if you can get a receiver from the states and add a serial number to it when licensing might work.
    Kidd and Volquartsen and a lot more sell all the aftermarket parts and also sell fully assembled rifles, but they are not easy to come by this side of the pond or cheap.

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Sorry for jumping in, just curious about some stuff. How much does it cost to upgrade a "standard" Ruger to a fully customiesd one?

Is there no other way to customise. As in do Kidd do actions? If not then can you buy an action and simply buy the parts to add onto it. IOW license the action then build rom there?
    Yes you can buy just an action, but not too easy here in Ireland. I went the other way. I had the full KIDD custom parts and then changed the action. I now have a Dlask action with a 30moa built in, the action is milled out of one piece of high grade ali. I traded in my S&W 22a for it (with cash to me).
    GunShop.ie has full custom 10/22's for sale, and the ability to mix and match parts on stie.

I was lucky to find a custom Ruger 10/22 for good money in the UK @ £500.
    Ruger action, KIDD two stage trigger, bolt, Boyd stock, barrel with a built in mod from SYSS.
    I have tried all the different KIDD barrels over the years, ultra light, light, 18" bull, 16" bull.

Now I have the Dlask action, KIDD single stage trigger, KIDD 14" bull barrel, Boyd stock, with a personal serial number of CliveJ001 :):)

I see most people start out with the cheapest Ruger 10/22 and upgrade over the next year or so.
    First is always the trigger, then the stock, barrel and so on.

Wadi14 wrote: »
    Im guessing most guys buy the ruger to get a serial number for applying for their licence, Im not sure if the aftermarket receivers are serial numbered from the factory, some of the guys who have them might enlighten us, I believe you have to then put your granted serial number on it when purchased. So I think that is where the problem of buying a receiver and adding to it comes from. But I may be wrong in that.
    Maybe if you can get a receiver from the states and add a serial number to it when licensing might work.
    Kidd and Volquartsen and a lot more sell all the aftermarket parts and also sell fully assembled rifles, but they are not easy to come by this side of the pond or cheap.

No you do a sub for the new action that you have bought. You can't buy an action without a license for that action.

You can buy 80% finished actions in the states that require you to finish off. No serial numbers on those

Thanks for clearing that up for me clive, what becomes of the ruger action if you sub it for aftermarket ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Never seen a bit of that post. Don't know how i missed it, thanks.
    Im guessing most guys buy the ruger to get a serial number for applying for their licence,
    It just seemed to me to be a better option to buy the action, which should be serialised, and build from there assuming the action can be bought on its own.

Also if its another manufacturer like KIDD doing the action then i suppose it's not really a Ruger anymore? Or do they take Ruger actions then "spruce" them up?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

The KIDD action is CNC machined, Ruger is pressed. No comparison quality wise.

The reason a lot people don't do it is because the initial cost, Ruger 10/22 €500ish, KIDD Action alone, €400ish.

Plus, they are not easily available a lot of the time.

My first KIDD receiver I had to get in from the UK, luckily I got the second one here.

Personal opinion. The Ruger receiver is the least important part that you can upgrade.

Agreed, but it does add to the overall of the component parts.

In a blind test, 100% quarnteed you will tell the difference between a KIDD bolt in a Ruger receiver and a KIDD bolt in a KIDD receiver.

If your spending €1000+ on KIDD parts and still need a donor receiver, it would be cheaper to buy anKIDD receiver than a new Ruger 10/22.

Thanks for clearing that up for me clive, what becomes of the ruger action if you sub it for aftermarket ?

Sold it on along with the custom stock as I had pillor bedded them for better accuracy.

Also most if not all of the custom actions dont now say 'Ruger' just 10/22. All to do with trade names

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

To awnser the question the 10/22 ruger target lite is running about 900-1000 euro here and ive had the chance to shoot one and its in my opinion ready to go for compettion now you can change bits later if you want of course
    Its very well balanced as the barrel is actually sleeved with an aluminium outer piece which should in theory make an excellent heat sink
    I find it far nicer to shoot than a heavy bull barrel .22
    The trigger is a ruger BX trigger and though not perfect is much nicer than the bog standerd model
    the stock is also a very nice laminate 1.jpg
    Heres a picture lads as i think theres some confusion between it and some of the older target 10/22s
    And just a reminder here lads the question was about getting into gallery compettion and if the rifle in question was a good start not sinking 2 grand into a gun to try out a compettion who knows the OP might not like gallery after a few compettions and want to try embassy cup or something else
    So in my opinion the 10/22 target lite is probably the only "turn key" new compettion .22 available to us here ive seen it shoot theyre plenty accurate
    The 1000? extra youd spend on a fully custom KIDD build imho would be better invested in ammo and practice and thats alot of .22 ammo

• Advertisement

To awnser the question the 10/22 ruger target lite is running about 900-1000 euro here and ive had the chance to shoot one and its in my opinion ready to go for compettion now you can change bits later if you want of course
    Its very well balanced as the barrel is actually sleeved with an aluminium outer piece which should in theory make an excellent heat sink
    I find it far nicer to shoot than a heavy bull barrel .22
    The trigger is a ruger BX trigger and though not perfect is much nicer than the bog standerd model
    the stock is also a very nice laminate 1.jpg
    Heres a picture lads as i think theres some confusion between it and some of the older target 10/22s
    And just a reminder here lads the question was about getting into gallery compettion and if the rifle in question was a good start not sinking 2 grand into a gun to try out a compettion who knows the OP might not like gallery after a few compettions and want to try embassy cup or something else
    So in my opinion the 10/22 target lite is probably the only "turn key" new compettion .22 available to us here ive seen it shoot theyre plenty accurate
    The 1000? extra youd spend on a fully custom KIDD build imho would be better invested in ammo and practice and thats alot of .22 ammo

Yes I have to agree that is a nice looking 10/22 and if shoots well is a good rifle to start with and get into gallery competitions. That stock would set you back €350 here for a start.
    Just to say again my friend is still the UK Pheonix 'Granet' champion, 300 27X score, shooting a Ruger 10/22 Target rifle.
    I say "Feel the pain" and go buy it, aim small, and don't beat me in any comps. :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

But seeing the 10/22 buffs are all in one place. Does anyone know or have a stainess 10/22 plain jane beechwood ,threaded muzzle rifle for sale or know of one going?
    Battlefield relics and "Farmerised" editions also considerd:).So long as they function reliabely,[when has a 10/22 never done that?] and still have a modicum of lands and grooves in the barrel will be fine too:)
    Want one for the betteer half to start her out on somthing basic on.22 rifle shooting,and to build it from there.
    PM me if you know of any such.
    Thx

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

And here is the stock for it , then she'll need the barrel to match lol
    https://www.hogueinc.com/10-22-standard-barrel-pink-rubber-overmolded-stock

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭proado

I have a ruger10/22 custom competition that come with alot of the after market stuff as standard on it straight from the factory. This means there is no messing with serial numbers on new actions and barrels and all that. Its held in the stock with 2 action screws and the barrel is a match type that is surgical at 50 yards with completion ammo and is doing less than moa groups at 50 yards with cci subsonic. No problem cycling them either. They are a little more expensive than a target version but are the muts nuts. Was looking to get into gallery stuff before the world went pooh.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jb88

My last Build Ruger 10/22 in 2016

Almost new 10/22, Ruger second hand good deal (Took everything off it)Thanks Vincent Plant
    250 Euro
    Licence
    Barrel second hand Kidd 16 inch heavy barrel (Very Very little use) Knew previous owner, doubt it saw 500 rounds through it
    240 euro (Normally 500 euro)
    Custom kidd two stage trigger Blue (Only one ive seen in Ireland) and Kidd Black Bolt $450 - direct from Kidd. (Normally 650 euro if your lucky)

Kidd Springs and Return spring rod 45 euro via Paddy Fagan

Burris signature zee mounts 80 euro via John Lambert

20 MOA rail by EGW $55

Second hand Hawke 6x24x56 Hawke sidewinder 350 euro via fellow contributor. (Normally 550 euro)

Barrel fitting and hole drilled for ease of cleaning and custom action screw fitted 100 euro also via same contributor
    Stock second hand Evo 140 euro thanks to Stephen Fagan (Normally 280)

That's a top class 10/22 built on a budget over the course of say 7 - 8 months as parts became available.

Roughly 1735 euro.
    I should have saved myself the trouble and bought a Tac sol

jb88 wrote: »
    I should have saved myself the trouble and bought a Tac sol

Or practiced more. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

proado wrote: »
    I have a ruger10/22 custom competition that come with alot of the after market stuff as standard on it straight from the factory. This means there is no messing with serial numbers on new actions and barrels and all that. Its held in the stock with 2 action screws and the barrel is a match type that is surgical at 50 yards with completion ammo and is doing less than moa groups at 50 yards with cci subsonic. No problem cycling them either. They are a little more expensive than a target version but are the muts nuts. Was looking to get into gallery stuff before the world went pooh.

Thats the new Ruger Custom one isnt it? Had a machined receiver?

Advertisement