Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-09-2020, 23:36   #2581
Shepards Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolanbaker View Post
You obviously didn't see that red sky at night.
This topic is as hot now as it has ever been, but it is going round in loops a bit as would be expected.
Having said that, I still believe that MT's original point stands.
Ya your right some nights i be lucky to see the sky at night atall cloud is what i normally see 😊
Advertisement
21-09-2020, 08:29   #2582
Wanderer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by paleoperson
ah yes the failed researcher track - very common these days. You get to talk big about how you're so important and leech taxpayers money for as long as conceivably possible with all the student grants and funding these days, never ending up with any job other than lowly minimum wage labwork given out of pity.

Hahaha, people are nuts on the Internets!

There's nothing important about me, no leeching here, I've worked hard for my education, and still do, but I'm truly grateful for the people of ireland for supporting me through all of my education, and the millions of others that have availed of this critical service. it truly has transformed our country, helped us in advancing, and becoming such a more wealthier and prosperous nation. I'm sure many older generations can remember ireland, while growing up, it wasn't exactly amazing, with many being forced to leave our educational system in both primary and secondary levels, early, so the family could survive. Opening up our educational system to most citizens, via subsidisation, has truly transformed all of our lives, so again, I say, thank you to all citizens
21-09-2020, 10:29   #2583
Wanderer78

an interesting video....

https://twitter.com/i/status/1307634368391806981
Thanks from:
21-09-2020, 13:13   #2584
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderer78 View Post
an interesting video....
Not sure what's so scary about that at all. Thermokarsts have been well documented for decades and are common in tundra regions, including Siberia. Nothing new there.
(2) thanks from:
21-09-2020, 13:15   #2585
Wanderer78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaoth Laidir View Post
Not sure what's so scary about that at all. Thermokarsts have been well documented for decades and are common in tundra regions, including Siberia. Nothing new there.
fair enough, no offence, but i ll stick with my own 'propaganda'
Advertisement
25-09-2020, 07:50   #2586
Akrasia

A new study in Science attributes extreme heat events in our oceans to Climate change. Events that have a natural frequency of 1 in a century to once in a thousand years are now occurring once every 10 years. These extreme events are responsible for disrupting food chains and have been the cause of mass mortalities of apex species in recent years and are likely to become annual events if we allow climate change to reach 3c above pre-industrial levels

Quote:

Marine heatwaves (MHWs)—periods of extremely high ocean temperatures in specific regions—have occurred in all of Earth’s ocean basins over the past two decades, with severe negative impacts on marine organisms and ecosystems. However, for most individual MHWs, it is unclear to what extent they have been altered by human-induced climate change. We show that the occurrence probabilities of the duration, intensity, and cumulative intensity of most documented, large, and impactful MHWs have increased more than 20-fold as a result of anthropogenic climate change. MHWs that occurred only once every hundreds to thousands of years in the preindustrial climate are projected to become decadal to centennial events under 1.5°C warming conditions and annual to decadal events under 3°C warming conditions.

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/369/6511/1621
Thanks from:
25-09-2020, 09:17   #2587
Gaoth Laidir

I see that the Irish kids with the American accents will be striking again today. They seem to have lost some attention during the pandemic so now it's time to get themselves back in the spotlight. Two were on the radio this morning, talking about how we missed our "twenny twenny" emission targets (intonation rising at the end of the sentence, just like a proper American). One has chosen not to go to school as she believes the schools should not be open. She "might" go back next month. Said she has asthma but is still ok to stand outside protesting...

A great future ahead, we have.

Last edited by Gaoth Laidir; 25-09-2020 at 09:21.
(3) thanks from:
25-09-2020, 11:36   #2588
Oneiric 3

"Inspired by the adults around you who crave the feeling of having a noble cause while they indulge themselves in western luxury and unprecedented quality of life"

No one like the Aussies to not pussyfoot around the bush.
(3) thanks from:
25-09-2020, 12:57   #2589
Danno

Quote:
I see that the Irish kids with the American accents will be striking again today. They seem to have lost some attention during the pandemic so now it's time to get themselves back in the spotlight. Two were on the radio this morning, talking about how we missed our "twenny twenny" emission targets (intonation rising at the end of the sentence, just like a proper American). One has chosen not to go to school as she believes the schools should not be open. She "might" go back next month. Said she has asthma but is still ok to stand outside protesting...

A great future ahead, we have.
Reminds me of this great post over on the farming forum a while back and it perfectly sums these types up:

Quote:
Originally Posted by riemann View Post
Their answer to everything is increase taxes. This hits the poor much harder than others.

Their demographic is NIMBY middle class dogooders who spend most of their time parading around on their bicycles in Ranelagh to collect their daily supply of avacados in Fallon and Byrne (fresh from South America) , to try out a recepie they seen in a vegan cookbook picked up on one of their all two frequent "short weekend breaks" across Europe.

Preaching to the rest of us that we're destroying the world and should go back to a more sustainable way of farming which their non binary cis gendered son/daughter Lesley will happily explain to you as they spent a summer building mud huts with a tribe in Sudan and thus have it all figured out.

For what's its worth I would agree with a green agenda in so far as a philosophy of "first do no harm", but the reality is people want and expect cheap food. In a lot of cases it's not hard to understand why as many people are squeezed from all sides so will cut costs any way they can.

Going green is a rich person's pursuit in the current climate.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
25-09-2020, 14:09   #2590
Akrasia

Sorry, I must be in the wrong place, I thought this was a science forum....
25-09-2020, 14:18   #2591
dolanbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrasia View Post
Sorry, I must be in the wrong place, I thought this was a science forum....
You just need to remember that about 95%* of the climate change debate is non-scientific in nature, so it will creep in from time to time.

*I'm sure I can magic up some data to back that assertion if requested.
Thanks from:
25-09-2020, 14:37   #2592
Akrasia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolanbaker View Post
You just need to remember that about 95%* of the climate change debate is non-scientific in nature, so it will creep in from time to time.

*I'm sure I can magic up some data to back that assertion if requested.
Maybe 95% by volume, but not by merit or value.

‘Poisoning the well‘ is a fallacy. ‘This idea cannot be valid because this untrustworthy person proclaimed it”

There is an awful lot of this going on here while actual scientific arguments and evidence tends to be ignored or dismissed
25-09-2020, 15:53   #2593
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
Maybe 95% by volume, but not by merit or value.

‘Poisoning the well‘ is a fallacy. ‘This idea cannot be valid because this untrustworthy person proclaimed it

There is an awful lot of this going on here while actual scientific arguments and evidence tends to be ignored or dismissed
Attached Images
File Type: png Kettle.png (175.0 KB, 64 views)
25-09-2020, 18:00   #2594
Akrasia

Quote:
Poisoning the well is where you take something irrelevant to the argument and use it to discredit the arguments themselves

I've always given peer reviewed scientific papers their due respect if they are published in reputable journals, and If I challenge a scientific paper, it is with reference to other scientific data that has contradictory findings

If contrarian opinions are not backed up by published science in good quality journals, then it's just personal opinion and can be disregarded as such (and this goes for so called climate extremists as well as those who try to downplay the risks of climate change)

What you're doing is mocking the 'american' accents from some teenagers and using this to discredit the need to act on climate change

Did you look at the paper I posted from Science today?
Thanks from:
25-09-2020, 19:29   #2595
Gaoth Laidir

Quote:
Poisoning the well is where you take something irrelevant to the argument and use it to discredit the arguments themselves

I've always given peer reviewed scientific papers their due respect if they are published in reputable journals, and If I challenge a scientific paper, it is with reference to other scientific data that has contradictory findings

If contrarian opinions are not backed up by published science in good quality journals, then it's just personal opinion and can be disregarded as such (and this goes for so called climate extremists as well as those who try to downplay the risks of climate change)

What you're doing is mocking the 'american' accents from some teenagers and using this to discredit the need to act on climate change

Did you look at the paper I posted from Science today?
I was referring to the bit about discrediting a piece based on who wrote/said it. You've done that yourself more than once in the past.

I'm mocking those kids as they are getting away with murder under the guise of the climate crisis. They're been clapped on the back by grown-ups for being so "mature", yet in reality they're just spoilt social wannabees looking for attention. One on this morning said it will be the end of humanity if we don't react NOW! I bet she couldn't tell one end of a graph from another if you showed her, but that's ok because she got her info from having her head stuck in her phone watching some other kid spouting the same hyperbole. Then again, it's not only the kids who spout this nonsense, just look here sometimes.

The American accent bit just confirmation that these kids spend more time on social media and probably no time reading a book or looking up facts for themselves. There seem to be very few of them with genuine local accents.

I haven't had a chance to read the paper yet but I will.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion