Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Custom Fitting Ireland

• 20-03-2019 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi guys

I know this has been asked before but things may have moved on since then. I’ve a little experience on the subject as I’ve had a couple of fits myself but that’s been some time ago.

My brother is 50 in April and lives for the game! He is off 13 and is quite handy but he is currently playing with a set that are 15 years old. What I’m looking to do is get a fully fitted set of irons and possible woods for his birthday. I’ve done a bita research and asked quite a few of our golfing buddy’s what is the best place to go. I have a few possibility’s and I’d really appreciate any feedback as I’d like to get it booked in.

I’ve rounded it down to the places that got recommended.

Pro golf Athlone.
    Derek from Fore golf (come highly recommended)
    Michael from Pure golf, Stackstown Gc.(New setup)
    Robbie from Leopardstown golf centre (Highly recommended)
    Mark from Carton house (Titleist only I think?)
    Then there is also Halpenny( who I’ve had a fit off) and McGuirks.

If anyone has any experience from the above or could point me in the rite direction I’d greatly appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Where are you based?

Andrew morris outside belfast has the majority of brands, even PXG but maybe no srixon/honma.

I've had driver/3 wood fitting there recently and they were very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Abugarcia

Where are you based?

Andrew morris outside belfast has the majority of brands, even PXG but maybe no srixon/honma.

I've had driver/3 wood fitting there recently and they were very good.

Cheers,

I’m currently in Wicklow and the brother is in south Dublin. I’d be willing to travel anywhere. I must have a look and check him out. Really appreciate the recommendation!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Wherever you go, make sure you're not driving balls into a screen or a net, nothing beats a proper range where you can see the full ball flight. I have not been to them all but Foregolf were faultless and a great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

I used Michael Kavanagh in Stackstown and was very happy with results. Great setup, great array of products, including ones the stores generally don't have like PXG, Honma, etc.

Particularly impressed with the fact that he advised me not to change some of my clubs as they were already a good fit for me, so he's not just a salesman. Very nice guy to deal with.

slave1 wrote: »
    Wherever you go, make sure you're not driving balls into a screen or a net, nothing beats a proper range where you can see the full ball flight. I have not been to them all but Foregolf were faultless and a great experience.

I do like the idea of seeing the flight as it’s instant feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

I've been fitted for irons and fairway Woods by Dave in foregolf. Knows his stuff and can't fault his recommendation. Was cut 2 shots within a month. On the plus side, they don't up sell unnecessarily. He assessed the heads on my fairway Woods and said I could just get fitted for the shafts alone, saving me a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭frink

I went to Foregolf for new irons and found them excellent.

The proof of success when I get the irons next week. Will definitely go back to get the driver reshafted

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

I'd add in Robert Cooke in Lisburn and Drive Golf Performance in Cork to the list and towards the top of any list, they know what they are talking about.

Cheers for all the reply’s I very much appreciate the feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I've been fitted twice with two different pros for my last two sets of irons. I think it's a waste of time and money. I ended up with regular shafts and grips and could have saved money just buying them off the internet. I won't be fooled a third time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Lads,

Live in the West. Have any of you got experience with Pro golf in Athlone. Foregolf is a pretty long way away and I can't convince any of the lads to come with me.

What do ye think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Golfstyle can do fittings. Have you considered a lesson rather than a fitting? I have gone down the fore golf route and although the clubs did improve me I feel the money would have been better spent on lessons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

CowboyTed wrote: »
    Lads,

Live in the West. Have any of you got experience with Pro golf in Athlone. Foregolf is a pretty long way away and I can't convince any of the lads to come with me.

What do ye think?

No disrespect to Progolf (got my irons there) but I'd prefer a range setup not driving into a net, Birr is not a million miles away and they have a decent rep, driving range out the back of the shop and friendly bunch.

etxp wrote: »
    Golfstyle can do fittings. Have you considered a lesson rather than a fitting? I have gone down the fore golf route and although the clubs did improve me I feel the money would have been better spent on lessons.

Sorry late back...

Actually had a lesson on Thursday... I generally get a lesson every one or two months... I think that is enough, any more and I find my head gets scrambled. Each lesson has to be practiced in and trusted.

I was just looking at the equipment I have... All Newish, Driver Cobra F7, RSI Irons... I got them all when I was 4 stone heavier and playing off 26. I am now playing off 16 and still coming down but don't know if the clubs are right for me...

I used a friends new Ping 410 Plus a few weeks back found like seamed heavier but easier to hit and went longer. The RSI can be very hot times and a 5 iron can jump 30 meters (150m to 180m) with a right strike... The Pro who I bought off just unwrapped them in front of me and said there for you...

So I absolutely agree with you on lessons but I just find sometimes I don't trust the clubs, so a fitting (which I pay independently) might just ease my mind.

slave1 wrote: »
    No disrespect to Progolf (got my irons there) but I'd prefer a range setup not driving into a net, Birr is not a million miles away and they have a decent rep, driving range out the back of the shop and friendly bunch.

Thanks... Heard a lot good about them too... Supposed to be a nice course there as well... Could dovetail with an open day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

Got fitted last night for irons in Kinsealy which is a McGuirks outlet

Enjoyable process although it was warm and sticky and I did feel myself get tired towards the end of the bucket. First time getting fitted so the whole process was brand new for me. He got me to hit 10 shots with my current 7 iron, it was quite funny as I was flushing it in the warm up but with someone watching, judging plus trackman monitoring I thinned 4 of my ten shots and turned my hands over on 2 more. Based on what he saw and what the numbers were telling him he put the ping i500 into my hand. Immediately there was more consistency plus 20 yards extra carry (my previous clubs were bought second hand). He tried me out on srixon, taylormade, other ping, titleist and one or two more 7 irons but didn't get near the length or consistency of the ping which was impressive. Only adjust he made was to the lie of the club, it needed 2 degrees of adjustment.

The guy in there also told me to not get fitted for a driver/woods the same day as fatigue is a factor and he is right. I was pretty knackered by the end of it

All in all while I know I will end up paying a good bit more when the whole process is finished I do think it is worthwhile to go and get fitted

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Hoppermcgrath

The National Fitting Centre in Carton House now fits for Ping; Mizuno; Taylor Made; as well as Titleist.

Has anybody been since they expanded to those brands too?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭tigerwoods

The National Fitting Centre in Carton House now fits for Ping; Mizuno; Taylor Made; as well as Titleist.

Has anybody been since they expanded to those brands too?

Anyone any feedback on Carton House fitting experience. I am only after a recomendation and have no intention of purchasing from them as I have a bunch of credit with my club pro who only fits certain brands but who can order in what I want. I have been to Fore Golf twice and bought irons and woods and cannot fault them but they tend to recomend certain shafts that they can only supply and they are not overly forth coming with my stats if I am not buying from them. It has to be a driving range as hitting into a nett I feel does nothing for me.

Advertisement