Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Strong Winds & Heavy Rain Tues-Weds 26-27th Jan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭xband

Major clean up, come on I love the drama.

Try cleaning up 25 recycling bins on one street alone. That's major enough for residents and the city council.

Weather like this can cause pretty serious annoyance in urban areas where you've a high concentration of easily toppled green bins all out on the kerb side.

We literally had hundreds and hundreds of items of wet recycling all over the garden. Took a lot of cleaning.

No need to under play it either. These gusts damaged a roof in a Cork City centre hospital and can easily do a lot of expensive damage to structures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Last night was quite possibly the roughest of the season so far here with a combinations of constant driving heavy rain and strong winds. Nearby park lands are beginning to flood, more so than at any time during December. Ground is just super saturated at this stage with no drying whatsoever this month.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rain started here at about 22.30 last night , 32.5mm for event ( 25mm since midnight ) most of which had fallen before 08.30. Spot floods on roads this morning and a lot of fields waterlogged and floods appearing again in the usual hollows and low lying ground. A lot of branches on the roads and reports of some trees down locally.

Top wind speed of 77.2 kph here ( I see the harbour office in Fenit had a gust of 103.6 kph )

Some Notable wind recordings :

Valentia gust 104 kph
    Sherkin 104 kph
    Mace Head 104 kph
    Bellmullet 122 kph
    Dublin airport 97 kph

Most inland sites considerably lower. All in all I would think a good forecast put out by Met Eireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

We got over 40mm of rain in the last 24hrs in Castlebar, still though it's been the driest January in 4 years so far thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

it looks as though Bandon is going to flood again.
    http://www.bandonfloodwarning.ie/index.htm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Heavy rain here near Tralee, wind light at present. Another windy night in store especially on the coasts on the Southern half of the copuntry.

sBt2Arc.gif

yisxt05.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,105 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Absolutely lashing here in West Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

it looks as though Bandon is going to flood again.
    http://www.bandonfloodwarning.ie/index.htm
    I cant view the link...cant believe that they might be flooded again,some people must be still recovering from the last floods in Bandon.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

The rain started in macroom around 7pm the wind started gusting around 8pm. Will be another wild night I'd imagine! Seems to be coming from a different direction the way it's hitting the house tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Colser wrote: »
    I cant view the link...cant believe that they might be flooded again,some people must be still recovering from the last floods in Bandon.

I don't think bandon will flood but it will come close enough.
    It's not really the rain that fell rather than everywhere been still saturated.
    Met eireamn should pbly have orange warnings out and explain it's not exceptional rainfall rather exceptional circumstances.
    Yellow warnings with bandon and indeed other areas under threat is not reflective of the situation imo

• Advertisement

Absolutely teeming down here near Tralee, 12mm since about 20.00

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

It looks like the north is escaping most of the bad weather this winter ...... So far

• Registered Users Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭pauldry

Rainfall map above wil hv to be changed.

Already lashing in dublin

Think met eireann never check satellite

It shows a clear slot on way but theyr forecasting lots more rain

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 41 Civil Joe

Is there any chance this storm from the US will bring snow?

Civil Joe wrote: »
    Is there any chance this storm from the US will bring snow?

You tell me, did it bring snow when it was here this morning? Hehe, might bring some to Scandinavia though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It felt like one of my windiest days ever recorded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Why is it that every time a weather forecaster on RTE comes on they say that they are afraid ?

Well I'm afraid we have a low pressure system coming in from the south-west and it will bring a bit of rain to the west overnight, or hello there, it will be a cold day today I'm afraid as we have a cold front moving down from the north. Tonight's weather is going to be very mild but I'm afraid it will turn slightly cooler overnight. Irish weather forecasters seem to be afraid of all kinds of weather, why are they so afraid all the time ?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Face-palm, I shouldn't have clicked the quick reply button. sorry for the double post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

After a dry windy day, Heavy rain here in north meath over the last couple of hours, has resulted in water lying around the house again. Oh how i missed it the last 2 weeks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

will it stop raining before patricks day? its raining none stop since 1st of november except for 1 week.

• Advertisement

The worst thunder clap I have ever heard woke the whole house with a jolt. Haven't experienced a thunderstorm like that in my life. was really something else. Power was gone immediately (hopefully no surging), and was followed by very very very large hail.

Really something else. Very heavy rain again. (And hail again)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Carnacalla wrote: »
    The worst thunder clap I have ever heard woke the whole house with a jolt. Haven't experienced a thunderstorm like that in my life. was really something else. Power was gone immediately (hopefully no surging), and was followed by very very very large hail.

Really something else. Very heavy rain again. (And hail again)

where are you? thunder in Ennis as well but seems far away, big gap from the lightning. seems big wherever it is though, if that makes sense

Sorry, Kilrush West Clare is the location. Fairly startled so forgot to add.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭robclay26

Here in Delvin in Westmeath 5:10am onwards, never heard such heavy rain in my life. No thunder yet. Prob some flash flooding around

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

There were a few very heavy showers with thunder in the Limerick city area a short while ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

South Kerry mountains 400 asl.. a recklessly wild wet noisy night... Was up for a few hours amid it. Still hammering down and an aggressive wind and the met ie site is very colourful. It started as I was settling for the night,,,Tired! Sleep deprived! I checked local news and as I knew would be, several roads here flooded again. As I saw between Bonane and Kenmare on Saturday, the fields alongside have not recovered and it was so near flooding then. My forecourt is sodden and deep in water; I have been putting the fire ashes and the sand from the cat trays down else would not be able to get the car in. Please take care those of you who have to go to work And what job with the wheelie bins.. Horrible task... Thankfully for me a home day. Just brought the cat in! He weighs two stone dry and being long haired was carrying a lot of water..:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Why is it that every time a weather forecaster on RTE comes on they say that they are afraid ?

Well I'm afraid we have a low pressure system coming in from the south-west and it will bring a bit of rain to the west overnight, or hello there, it will be a cold day today I'm afraid as we have a cold front moving down from the north. Tonight's weather is going to be very mild but I'm afraid it will turn slightly cooler overnight. Irish weather forecasters seem to be afraid of all kinds of weather, why are they so afraid all the time ?.

Just a polite cliche that means nothing. Typical upper class jargon...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

2ngu3h5.png

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Torrential rain just woke me up this morning. DN 20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Just had monsoon rain here in wicklow on the coast only lasted 5 minutes and stoped again

Advertisement