Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
20-09-2020, 23:15   #511
appledrop
Registered User
 
appledrop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 2,308
Another disappointing day in Dublin.

Nice + sunny this morning so had high hopes as we headed out for day but sun disappeared about 9.30am + never appeared again until usual time of about 6pm this evening.

Now thankfully no real wind so didnt feel as cold as yesterday.

This weekend was like a throwback to July/August when Met Eireann are useless at forecasting sunshine.

Meant to be sunny all weekend but id say lucky if got about 2 hours between 2 days.

If I knew we were getting no sunshine I'd roll with that but its the expectation that's a killer.

Yes I know we had an absolutely fantastic week of weather in Dublin but hard when your working all week + then it disappears at weekend.
appledrop is offline  
Advertisement
21-09-2020, 05:22   #512
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 26,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashermcguirk View Post
I am a Dub but Donegal is hands down the most beautiful county in Ireland. Most amazing beaches, fantastic walks in the mountains, highest sea cliffs, also the likes of glenveagh national park. People really friendly too and so under populated
Ah no! Having lived in both, Mayo wins hands down. it really does. If you know where to go... Downpatrick Head for example and all that coastal drive from Ballina along to Brpadhaven Bay

And Kerry has nationally the highest cliffs, looking out to the Skelligs and the Dingle peninsula..

Oh and West Cork; Mizen head! Nowhere like it for cliffs and vastness of ocean

OF COURSE all the outlying coastal counties
are glorious and unspoilt. Thankfully!

All well worth visiting and enjoying in person,

Donegal is just one of these!

MAYO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Graces7 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
21-09-2020, 05:32   #513
Graces7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 26,995
It has been a wonderful few days out here.
Unbroken blue skies, often unfolding late morning after suspenseful hours wondering if the sun would win through.,

Still that chill in the shade that refreshes and makes it distinctively autumn, The north facing back garden here has had hoar frost in deep shade all day long and it is lovely! Wide green grass blades gently overlaid with white,

Spending long hours sitting out gazing at it all; as the thick mist lying over the blue, then a gap then clouds, then melting slowly away to a day of blue bright beauty

In my years here with the winds etc I have never managed to get a sunflower to blossom. The wind changes direction so often that shelter is hard,

Watching now as a huge sunflower is showing gold and with three more days..this summer!

An unusual summer melding into true autumn now, and lovely to see this.

Signing off a while

West Mayo offshore
Graces7 is offline  
21-09-2020, 07:07   #514
dancinpants
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelbrowser View Post
Today must be one of the nicest late September days we have ever had in Cork. Cloudless and almost windless all day long. Kids are in the paddling pool which I thought I had put away for the year!
We've had a phenomenal run in Cork. Apart from some mist last Sunday morning, we're over three weeks without rain of any kind. Looks like a breakdown is on the way but the last few weeks will certainly have shortened the winter.
dancinpants is online now  
(2) thanks from:
21-09-2020, 07:11   #515
igCorcaigh
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 5,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by dancinpants View Post
We've had a phenomenal run in Cork. Apart from some mist last Sunday morning, we're over three weeks without rain of any kind. Looks like a breakdown is on the way but the last few weeks will certainly have shortened the winter.
And such a dry heat too!

I've been sweating like a pig all summer, but yesterday was just lovely.
igCorcaigh is online now  
Advertisement
21-09-2020, 09:08   #516
sweetmaggie
Registered User
 
sweetmaggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,860
I spent the weekend hiking the Causeway Coast in Antrim and it was wall to wall sunshine! Absolutely incredible weather, beautiful cooling breezes yet I still got swimming. I adore this time of the year, the emerging colours and the lower slant of the sun, nothing too glaring! Simply fabulous - I knew this spell was going to come to an end and maybe thats the end of true sunshine until next Spring - you need to enjoy these days and bank the memories.

I also had a mini break to Louisburgh and Clare Island in August and to Ballyferriter and the Slea Head area in July. Incredibly I got wall to wall sunshine for both those weekends too. Amazing photos and memories to carry me through Winter (I hope!) We live in a beautiful place.
sweetmaggie is offline  
(3) thanks from:
21-09-2020, 10:02   #517
Slashermcguirk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,115
I know mayo well too, lovely county but Donegal for me every time :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graces7 View Post
Ah no! Having lived in both, Mayo wins hands down. it really does. If you know where to go... Downpatrick Head for example and all that coastal drive from Ballina along to Brpadhaven Bay

And Kerry has nationally the highest cliffs, looking out to the Skelligs and the Dingle peninsula..

Oh and West Cork; Mizen head! Nowhere like it for cliffs and vastness of ocean

OF COURSE all the outlying coastal counties
are glorious and unspoilt. Thankfully!

All well worth visiting and enjoying in person,

Donegal is just one of these!

MAYO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Slashermcguirk is offline  
(2) thanks from:
21-09-2020, 10:12   #518
Slashermcguirk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,115
Nice blue skies and sunny morning in D5, no doubt some on here will tell me there is no sun.
Slashermcguirk is offline  
21-09-2020, 10:42   #519
daniel_t1409
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 143
Another lovely morning in wexford, though apparently we're back to summer 2020 weather this week
daniel_t1409 is offline  
Advertisement
21-09-2020, 11:02   #520
compsys
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 757
After three days of gloom in Dublin (Friday and Saturday had nice weather from around 5pm only, Sunday was cloudy all day and 14 degrees) it's finally sunny in the capital.

Temps already higher than they were all weekend. Hopefully we'll touch 20 again today.

Once again Dublin's best weather is when high pressure isn't right over us.
compsys is offline  
Thanks from:
21-09-2020, 11:54   #521
highdef
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 4,379
Still cool and dull as dishwater in North Kildare.
highdef is offline  
21-09-2020, 12:08   #522
Jpmarn
Registered User
 
Jpmarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,311
Went to Dingle and Ventry beach yesterday Sunday. It was very like I was on a foreign beach there. Water was fairly warm.
Jpmarn is offline  
Thanks from:
21-09-2020, 12:10   #523
Donegal Storm
Registered User
 
Donegal Storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 1,702
Back to dark and grey in Letterkenny, was good while it lasted
Donegal Storm is offline  
21-09-2020, 12:25   #524
compsys
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashermcguirk View Post
Nice blue skies and sunny morning in D5, no doubt some on here will tell me there is no sun.
I genuinely admire your optimism

These were the max temps and sunshine totals for Dublin for the weekend according to MET E.

Hardly anything to write home about?

The average max for mid September in Dublin is about 16 or 17º so it was cold even by Irish standards!

The sunshine for me in Dun Laoghaire was also very murky at times on Friday so it didn't feel like 9 hours or so at all (maybe the north of the county where the station is had sunnier weather that day)

Friday 15.1º 9.4 hours
Saturday 13.9º 2.6 hours
Sunday 14.7º 1.1 hours

I even notice today from the satellite that it's STILL cloudy over most of Dublin - thankfully the far south where I am is escaping it...for now.

Don't get me wrong, it's been a nice enough September but nothing overly spectacular in my opinion - at least in comparison to what was forecast.

Last edited by compsys; 21-09-2020 at 12:31.
compsys is offline  
21-09-2020, 12:35   #525
Slashermcguirk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,115
Yes but you are taking 3 days in September. First of all it was dry throughout, which sure beats the rain. Secondly there have been numerous temps into the 20s this month, Phoenix park was frequently the warmest location in Ireland. Today sun splitting the sky again and may push towards 20 degrees. My point is if some cloud and dry weather is the worst we are getting, that constitutes a very good month. Can hardly remember any meaningful rainfall the past few weeks. Has it been constantly sunny and warm? No but there has been lots of sunshine and plenty of warm days, today no exception.

I think people on here need to be more realistic. If you want warm sunny weather consistently, then move to Nice, Seville, Lisbon, Paris etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by compsys View Post
I genuinely admire your optimism

These were the max temps and sunshine totals for Dublin for the weekend according to MET E.

Hardly anything to write home about?

The average max for mid September in Dublin is about 16 or 17º so it was cold even by Irish standards!

The sunshine for me in Dun Laoghaire was also very murky at times on Friday so it didn't feel like 9 hours or so at all (maybe the north of the county where the station is had sunnier weather that day)

Friday 15.1º 9.4 hours
Saturday 13.9º 2.6 hours
Sunday 14.7º 1.1 hours

I even notice today from the satellite that it's STILL cloudy over most of Dublin - thankfully the far south where I am is escaping it...for now.

Don't get me wrong, it's been a nice enough September but nothing overly spectacular in my opinion - at least in comparison to what was forecast.
Slashermcguirk is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet