Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tax in Ireland as a non-resident

Options
  • 22-09-2020 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I am Irish national, but resident and Tax paying in the Netherlands for some years.

I still have my Irish bank account and get some occasional income paid into it each year, less than 6k per annum.
    At what point do I need to consider my Irish tax obligations?
    Does anyone know how visible the money in my Irish account is to the Dutch tax authorities?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MrSquanch

I know the following:
    In regards to extra income Revenue says “over €5,000 a year, you will need to register for self-assessment.”
    So technically I should register myself as self-employed to declare this income?
    This should also be declared on my Dutch income tax return but it is then tax exempt.

In my case I have an Irish bank account that is only occasionally used with relatively small sums of money, Are there practical situations where someone is clearly in breach of their tax obligations?
    I feel like this must be often overlooked by individuals and is a non-issue in my case?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

From what does the income arise?

Non-residents are generally only within the scope of Irish income tax in respect of Irish sourced income and even then there are some exclusions likely to apply under the Ireland/Netherlands double taxation agreement.

Thanks for your response,

Mostly the income if from farm work done while in Ireland, paid in transfers between personal accounts.
    Occasionally I would get paid for what you could call consultancy, which would have been done in the Netherlands but payments through the Irish account.

I will read more about the "Ireland/Netherlands double taxation agreement"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

If you are doing farm work physically in Ireland or you have an interest in a farm and the profits therefrom, you will be subject to Irish tax. If you are doing remote consultancy from the Netherlands as a non-Irish resident, it should not be taxable in Ireland. However, you will likely have Dutch tax obligations, including VAT potentially (failure to register more so than actual VAT liability).

Hi Marcusm,

Thanks for your clear reply, I think you are right

• Advertisement
Advertisement