Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nonstandard.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

A lot would depend on who underwrites the policy. Having said that, if they can plug an obvious gap in the market, why not if the premium is good?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

A lot would depend on who underwrites the policy. Having said that, if they can plug an obvious gap in the market, why not if the premium is good?

Hi Eggs, they seem to be the only insurance company that will insure modified cars from what I can see. In the end, I got a quote with 123.ie (standard) as it was just too good to resist. However, the subject of modified car insurance and how modified cars are a taboo interests me though.

For instance, look at the UK, there are dedicated insurance companies for modified cars. I really think that you will find many car enthusiasts on here and other Irish motor forums that would have no issue declaring mods given the opportunity. Instead it's a case of "No, we can't insure that." the mind boggles.

Anyway, found this on the website,
    Non standard is a trading name of John Power Insurances Ltd. an independent broker that has over 35 years experience in general and life cover and are members of the Professional Insurance Brokers Association (PIBA).

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They are brokers. If they can place non standard risks it might be a good thing.

I reckon non disclosure is pretty rampant amongst the car enthusiasts ranks. It's a ticking bomb. "1.3 on the log book" etc.

They are brokers. If they can place non standard risks it might be a good thing.

I reckon non disclosure is pretty rampant amongst the car enthusiasts ranks. It's a ticking bomb. "1.3 on the log book" etc.

It would be a great thing imo! I would hope that it would be a turning point for people trying to insure modified cars.

I agree, no doubt about it! However, if insurance companies were more open to insuring mods. would that solve this issue? I personally would have no issue insuring mods given the chance. Mostly for my own piece of mind than anything else. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

job seeker wrote: »
    Instead it's a case of "No, we can't insure that." the mind boggles.

In my experience, brokers and insurance company underwriters have been willing to make exceptions on request.

Not modified, but added a newly qualified driver with zero NCB to my policy, on a higher risk car. The car was above the limit for both engine size (2.1L) and insurance grouping (>40) and one phonecall sorted it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

job seeker wrote: »
    It would be a great thing imo! I would hope that it would be a turning point for people trying to insure modified cars.

I agree, no doubt about it! However, if insurance companies were more open to insuring mods. would that solve this issue? I personally would have no issue insuring mods given the chance. Mostly for my own piece of mind than anything else. :D

Declaring mods is not optional. It's part of the contract of insurance. Failing to do so can render the policy voidable.

I've read about many instances about remapping here, where the attitude is "can it be discovered?". Owners want cover for nothing, which is unrealistic.

Whilst there's nothing wrong with modifying a car per se it's absolutely wrong to drive without those modifications being disclosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭kirving

where the attitude is "can it be discovered?".

Just on this - it can always be discovered, despite what the guys on Facebook say.

It probably won't be found out, but when it's a serious crash and the insurance company could be on the hook for a large claim, it's well worth their while to send off the ECU to the manufacturer for analysis.

Declaring mods is not optional. It's part of the contract of insurance. Failing to do so can render the policy voidable.

I've read about many instances about remapping here, where the attitude is "can it be discovered?". Owners want cover for nothing, which is unrealistic.

Whilst there's nothing wrong with modifying a car per se it's absolutely wrong to drive without those modifications being disclosed.

Yes, I totally agree! It's wrong and I couldn't do it myself as I have said. I'm just trying to make the point that. I think, that there is a market here for modified car insurance. It works in the UK. I can't see why it wouldn't work there.

Generally, there will always be people and (I am aware that it's wrong) for whatever reason that will have a void policy and willing to take that chance that's a fact of life. Whether it's a modified vehicle, driving with an undisclosed illness/injury, penalty points, drink/drug driving etc. All you have to do is follow the Gardi's twitter.

I'm just saying that not everyone are trying to stay under the radar when it comes to mods and motor insurance.

Just on this - it can always be discovered, despite what the guys on Facebook say.

It probably won't be found out, but when it's a serious crash and the insurance company could be on the hook for a large claim, it's well worth their while to send off the ECU to the manufacturer for analysis.

Oh I am well aware of that!
    In my experience, brokers and insurance company underwriters have been willing to make exceptions on request.

Not modified, but added a newly qualified driver with zero NCB to my policy, on a higher risk car. The car was above the limit for both engine size (2.1L) and insurance grouping (>40) and one phonecall sorted it.

Yeah, I have heard similar in terms of higher powered vehicles and named drivers. However, If the main policy holder has a noclaims bonus and little to no penlty points. The insurance company aren't really taking a major chance with the named driver. Given that the main policy holder will be driving the majority of the time.

Plus if the named driver has a learners permit it's the law that will be supervised at all times while behind the wheel. If they have a full licence, well that minimises the risk even further for the insurance company. I do see your point though!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭pinktoe

Liberty and XS Direct used to (possibly still do) insure mods.

I've a 94 Supra insured with AXA, mods and dyno sheet provided, 2000km limit and I'm paying less for it than with my standard sensible 2 year old XJ.

I know someone has a Gtr insured through AA which I presume the mods are declared.

You won't get quotes online for modified cars, but ring them and you'll get somewhere. Obviously dangerous and stupid mods like cut springs won't be covered but the likes of coil overs aren't that bad of a loading.

Op the company is Power Insurance who are a broker listed on brokersIreland so they'll be grand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement