Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for writings by Eoin O'Duffy or the NCP

• 10-09-2020 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi folks,
    Aside from Crusade in Spain, are there any other written works by Eoin O'Duffy or the National Corporate Party that can be accessed somewhere? I'm interested in getting a more primary look at O'Duffy and the Party's ideology around that time, "from the source" so to speak, rather than something written by historians after the fact. Even if its something like a pamphlet/periodical put out by O'Duffy or the National Corporate Party, it'd be useful.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The only primary source evidence I came across was an account of Mr.O'Duffy in the book "Mine were of Trouble" by Peter Kemp.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Hyus

Is anyone here familiar with the periodical The Nation that was published by the National Corporate Party? According to secondary sources I've read, it was carried on from The Blueshirt party journal but renamed when the NCP was founded. If there's anywhere to access copies of it, that would be a useful primary source.
    Manach wrote: »
    The only primary source evidence I came across was an account of Mr.O'Duffy in the book "Mine were of Trouble" by Peter Kemp.

Thanks Manach, I didn't know he got a mention in that book, I'll have a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

It possible that the National Archives in Bishop St Dublin, near Aungier St., might have old documents relating to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

Hyus wrote: »
    Is anyone here familiar with the periodical The Nation that was published by the National Corporate Party? According to secondary sources I've read, it was carried on from The Blueshirt party journal but renamed when the NCP was founded. If there's anywhere to access copies of it, that would be a useful primary source.

The National Library would be the first place to look for periodicals, journals, newspapers and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,990 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

The National Library has microfilm copies of issues from 22 June to 3 August 1935. Since it was a monthly, that would be just two or three issues. You'll have to visit the National Library to view them.

TCD has more, and in hard copy. It has Vol 2 nos 1 to 7, issued between February and August 1936. I don't know whether these could be accessed via another academic library using inter-library loan, or whether you'd have to go to Trinity.

• Advertisement
Advertisement