Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half ironman and marathon close together

• 26-08-2020 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi
    I was going to sign up for a half ironman next year. Either Barcelona or Cascais. I have never done one before and the idea would be that would be my first. I think 14 months should be a good amount of time to build this up. Cascais 2020 is still scheduled so I hope this means I would be able to get a place for 2021. Barcelona was cancelled this year so there will be less places for sale next year.

I have a place for next years Dublin marathon as my place for this year was automatically deferred. I have done two marathons before but i have not really run more than 10k since last year. My question then is, if I did a Half Ironman on 9th October 2021, would I be able to run a marathon 31st October 2021? I would only be looking to get around the marathon route.

I am a slow novice across all disciplines so that would probably have an impact. I would just like to know what is realistic so I can set my goals and training accordingly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

In my experience, a marathon (done to best of your ability) takes much longer to recover from than a half ironman. You'll obviously be tired after the half but you tend not to get the same muscle fatigue or soreness from a half IM than comes with racing a marathon. You'll be fine.

Just my 2c.

Advertisement