Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is switching mortgage really worth it to save money?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    My mortgage renewal is in October, I'm on 3.3% interest rate but I can get less with competitors. Some are offering a better interest rate plus cash back. However, is the move really worth it, after the solicitor fees etc?

Also, there are talks of Advant Card Money coming out with circa 2% mortgage rates. Now that sounds like it would be worth the switch.

Has anybody done this recently and what is the level of work involved?

Avant Money (now owned by Bankinter of Spain) is unlikely to come in at 2% as the cost of repossession of non payers has to be taken into account here. In Europe, if you stop paying and don't come to agreement, you're out within 90 days and house is sold with new owners within 6 months.

Here you can stop paying and wait years before an eventual repossession which will cost up to €100k in legal fees. That adds about 0.3% to everyone's mortgage (remember that the next time some group is asking for repossessions to be stopped)

Some are saying that they will introduce long term fixed rates - up to 20 years as that's their selling point in Spain.

a 20 year rate at 3% would be phenomenal. That would mean €1686/month for a €400,000 mortgage and you know that no matter what happens, it will alway be that amount for 20 years.

Last time there were 20 year fixes was late 60's with a civil service rate. (My dad had one @ 6% for life)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Brego888

Sarn wrote: »
    If I were you I’d get the ball rolling on the switching. Our experience is that it can take several months to switch. We started the switch before our fixed rate ended and a few months later are still waiting on the letter of offer from KBC. We also paid a lump sum off the principle when we went back on to variable.

Yeah we've already done the same. Met KBC a month ago, had valuation done last week and just waiting on loan offer now. Hopefully only be paying the variable rate a month or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

silver2020 wrote: »
    Avant Money (now owned by Bankinter of Spain) is unlikely to come in at 2% as the cost of repossession of non payers has to be taken into account here. In Europe, if you stop paying and don't come to agreement, you're out within 90 days and house is sold with new owners within 6 months.

Here you can stop paying and wait years before an eventual repossession which will cost up to €100k in legal fees. That adds about 0.3% to everyone's mortgage (remember that the next time some group is asking for repossessions to be stopped)

Yes, our rates will always be higher, as long as this repossession regime exists.

Our banks must hold more capital against mortgages compared to foreign banks.

https://assets.gov.ie/6836/664f5174ebd34f7e938aea654bed6757.pdf

silver2020 wrote: »

a 20 year rate at 3% would be phenomenal. That would mean €1686/month for a €400,000 mortgage and you know that no matter what happens, it will alway be that amount for 20 years.

Last time there were 20 year fixes was late 60's with a civil service rate. (My dad had one @ 6% for life)

https://www.bankinter.com/banca/en/mortgages-loans/mortgages/fixed-rate-mortgage

Here are their fixed rates in Spain, before discounts, and after all discounts:

Up to 10 yrs = 2.80%
    1.50%

Up to 15 yrs = 2.90%
    1.60%

Up to 20 yrs = 2.99%
    1.69%

These are not APRs.

Taking their 10 yr rate, 2.8% is good, but won't shake up the market that much, as 2.2%-2.6% fixed is available here for shorter terms.

Now, if they offer discounts here for bundling other products, and go as low as 1.5%, well that would be a massive change.

However, surely rates must be higher here than Spain, as banks must hold more capital against RWA here?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

Thanks for all the replies guys. Not sure what to do. My renewal isn't until October so I think I will wait a couple of more weeks, hopefully Advant release their pricing soon so that I can make a decision

• Advertisement

T My renewal isn't until October so I think I will wait a couple of more weeks, hopefully Advant release their pricing soon so that I can make a decision

See here:

https://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/avantcard-to-target-high-earners-only.219519/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Right guys so here's my dilemma:

Option 1.

Stay with PTSB, new rate 2.95% 3 year fixed. Make monthly over-payments of approx €200 per month (what I'm currently doing).

Option 2.

Move to Advant, new rate 1.95% 3 year fixed. No over-payments allowed during fixed term. Cost of changing bank approx €1700, no cashback.

I understand that Advant have a much better rate, but they do not allow over-payment. No cashback offers so I will be down money initially. No guarantees of same excellent rate in 3 years time.

What to do :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Option 1.

Stay with PTSB, new rate 2.95% 3 year fixed. Make monthly over-payments of approx €200 per month (what I'm currently doing).

Option 2.

Move to Advant, new rate 1.95% 3 year fixed. No over-payments allowed during fixed term. Cost of changing bank approx €1700, no cashback.

I understand that Advant have a much better rate, but they do not allow over-payment. No cashback offers so I will be down money initially. No guarantees of same excellent rate in 3 years time.

Which option pays off the most capital over the 3 years?

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Which option pays off the most capital over the 3 years?

Silly question but what would be the best way to calculate this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Silly question but what would be the best way to calculate this?

Down load an app called Simple Mortgage calculator. Plug in your figures....

Option 2.

I read on AAM that Avant allow 1% overpayments per year.

1,700 to change mortgage seems a lot?

I expected more like 1,200?

Option 1.

Option 2.

(

why not go with 7 year fixed with avant? - I'm guessing you are 60% ltv. This is a superb rate and even if there's a price war, the difference will be negligible on that rate.

And instead of overpaying, look at paying extra into a pension - maybe set up a small second pension if you have a employment based one already. It's a no brainer as you'll save 40% tax v 1.95% interest saving.

Or put it this way - if you overpaid your mortgage by €200 / month, that is just over €2420 in a year off the mortgage (inc interest rate saving), but would be worth €4,000 in your pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Absolutely worth it OP.

We switched 3 years in. We could have saved a lot of money on the monthly payment but instead reduced the term of the mortgage. We knocked 8 years off the mortgage while still making savings.

It's hard to work out over the lifetime as many changes will still occur but I estimated around 70k in savings.

The paperwork is a pain but worth it

ILikeBoats wrote: »
    Absolutely worth it OP.

We switched 3 years in. We could have saved a lot of money on the monthly payment but instead reduced the term of the mortgage. We knocked 8 years off the mortgage while still making savings.

It's hard to work out over the lifetime as many changes will still occur but I estimated around 70k in savings.

The paperwork is a pain but worth it

It's best just to work out the savings for the specific period of fix rather than the remaining term of the mortgage as rates can be different when the fixed rate period is up.

And even then, you have to work out the savings on the best option from your current bank to the new bank.

So if you are on say 3.15% variable and current bank offers a 2.5% 5 year fixed and new bank offers 2.2% 5 year fixed, the savings is this 0.3% for 5 years less any costs. - for a €300,000 mortgage with 20 years remaining, that 0.3% is €3,000.

If a 0.3% difference stayed for the following 15 years, (unlikely as banks keep changing) the saving would be €10,700 for the 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

Apologies in advance if I missed an answer to this elsewhere in the thread:

Does Avant allow overpayment during its fixed rate?

I reckon I could save €200 per month by moving from my Haven variable mortgage, and it makes sense to keep overpaying by that amount each month (otherwise I'll just spend it!).

Each month, it'd be an overpayment of around 25%.

Annually, that'd be an overpayment of about 1.6% of the total outstanding mortgage.

Apologies in advance if I missed an answer to this elsewhere in the thread:

Does Avant allow overpayment during its fixed rate?

I reckon I could save €200 per month by moving from my Haven variable mortgage, and it makes sense to keep overpaying by that amount each month (otherwise I'll just spend it!).

Each month, it'd be an overpayment of around 25%.

Annually, that'd be an overpayment of about 1.6% of the total outstanding mortgage.

I was told by one broker that Avant allow 1% overpayment per year of your remaining mortgage balance.
    I was told by another broker that they do not allow overpayment, so be careful.

I'm leaning towards KBC 3 year fixed @ 2.45% with 3k cashback as opposed to Avant 3 year fixed @ 1.95% as there is no cashback, in those 3 years I believe that KBC will actually work out the better option.

I like to overpay every month with the option of stopping at any time.

I currently have 32 years left but I will be bringing my term down to 25 years - with the new rates offered, my mortgage repayments won't go up substantially but I'll have trimmed 7 years off my mortgage!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭GeorgeOrwell

I was told by one broker that Avant allow 1% overpayment per year of your remaining mortgage balance.
    I was told by another broker that they do not allow overpayment, so be careful.

I'm leaning towards KBC 3 year fixed @ 2.45% with 3k cashback as opposed to Avant 3 year fixed @ 1.95% as there is no cashback, in those 3 years I believe that KBC will actually work out the better option.

I like to overpay every month with the option of stopping at any time.

I currently have 32 years left but I will be bringing my term down to 25 years - with the new rates offered, my mortgage repayments won't go up substantially but I'll have trimmed 7 years off my mortgage!

Yeah, it's quite difficult to work out the overall cost/benefit of switching when you take into account all the costs and potential benefits.

As my mortgage - and therefore potential savings - are fairly small, are the legal costs, valuation costs, costs of gathering all the paperwork - really worth it? Especially if Advant don't actually permit overpayment and so the whole real benefit isn't there?

In your position - with a longer mortgage - there are more obvious benefits to switching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/switch-it-up-live-with-the-irish-times-and-ulster-bank-tickets-119264207455

Might be of interest to some here. I'm a little bit nervous re the recent news re Ulster Bank though!

Advertisement