Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scottish independence

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,930 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Aegir wrote: »
    I do find it mildly amusing that Scottish Nationalists (or is that Irish nationalists in Scotland :confused:) seem to have completely missed the shenanigans over Brexit and seem to think that somehow none of that will apply to them.

Yep
    The campaign for an independent Scotland will be full of their version of sunlit uplands and unicorns and as you previously implied anything negative will be called project fear.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    The winning party in a referendum almost always looses in a repeat.... the loosing party now know the full impact of the arguments used to win and will be able to more effectively challenge them second time around.

and the Scots now know that a lot of the issues written off as project fear are actually project fact.

They also know exactly how difficult it is to untangle a country from a union.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

and the Scots now know that a lot of the issues written off as project fear are actually project fact.

They also know exactly how difficult it is to untangle a country from a union.

Sure, but they are being dragged out of the European Union against their will right now.

So Independence will be out of one union, but back into another one, one with a decent record of supporting smaller member countries. A different story from the UK trying to escape into non-existent sunlit uplands.

Sure, but they are being dragged out of the European Union against their will right now.

So Independence will be out of one union, but back into another one, one with a decent record of supporting smaller member countries. A different story from the UK trying to escape into non-existent sunlit uplands.

By no means guaranteed and a long way down the road.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭derrymcorry

The EU is much better than the UK. I'd much rather a country being a full member of the EU than a part of the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

what sort of response? are the SNP going to declare war or something?

They should sort out their own backyard first though, they seem to be losing support left right and centre as the Scots start to realise that there is a bot more to running a country than blind nationalism.

That is news to me - can you supply some evidence for this.
    The latest poll I have seen said that the SNP was on course to pick up 10 Tory seats at the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,935 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

They should sort out their own backyard first though, they seem to be losing support left right and centre

Can you post any evidence of that?

I do find it mildly amusing that Scottish Nationalists (or is that Irish nationalists in Scotland :confused:) seem to have completely missed the shenanigans over Brexit and seem to think that somehow none of that will apply to them.

Is there a point that you disagree with or is it just a general whinge?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭circadian

what sort of response? are the SNP going to declare war or something?

They should sort out their own backyard first though, they seem to be losing support left right and centre as the Scots start to realise that there is a bot more to running a country than blind nationalism.

I suspect you're not debating in good faith but I'll engage nonetheless.

The response will be from the electorate, according to you the SNP are losing ground which I'd like to see evidence of as anything I've seen is the opposite. The electorate will almost certainly hand an overwhelming majority mandate to the SNP, which in turn puts more weight behind another independence referendum. The Scots have been totter ally sidelined by the Tories and their voices ignored regarding Brexit, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't a response.

bob mcbob wrote: »
    That is news to me - can you supply some evidence for this.
    The latest poll I have seen said that the SNP was on course to pick up 10 Tory seats at the next election.

ten of the thirteen seats they lost at the last election?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,064 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Tories just, borrowed them. They'll be handing them back soon.
    It will be strange for a country to be possibly governed by a political party or similar minded one, with no elected members of Parliament, in that country.

ten of the thirteen seats they lost at the last election?

Yes thats right - they are on track for 45+ seats out of 59.
    Not bad for a party losing support right, left and centre.

I also don't think your point about "blind nationalism" really stands up.
    I think most Scots recognise that the SNP are the only adults in the room.

Yes thats right - they are on track for 45+ seats out of 59.
    Not bad for a party losing support right, left and centre.

I also don't think your point about "blind nationalism" really stands up.
    I think most Scots recognise that the SNP are the only adults in the room.

when Theresa May called the last election, the SNP were polling on 47 to 49%, they ended up with 37%.

First past the post really worked in their favour as well, giving the SNP 35 of 59 seats.

I would wait for your chickens to hatch, before counting them.

when Theresa May called the last election, the SNP were polling on 47 to 49%, they ended up with 37%.

First past the post really worked in their favour as well, giving the SNP 35 of 59 seats.

I would wait for your chickens to hatch, before counting them.

Really Ironic.

37% is the share of the vote the Tories got in 2015. They considered this a mandate for the Brexit vote.

Really Ironic.

37% is the share of the vote the Tories got in 2015. They considered this a mandate for the Brexit vote.

Legislation for which was put before the House of Commons and supported by the Labour Party

Legislation for which was put before the House of Commons and supported by the Labour Party

Great you accept that in FPTP, 37% is an acceptable level of the peoples votes to bring forward legislation that fundamentally alters a nations future.

Great you accept that in FPTP, 37% is an acceptable level of the peoples votes to bring forward legislation that fundamentally alters a nations future.

As far back as January 2013 Cameron promised an in/out referendum if the Conservatives were returned to power in the 2015 GE.

It's not as if the idea was sprung on anyone at the last minute.

And don't be so quick to slam the FPTP system, it has certainly been of benefit to the SNP.

you only need one MP to introduce legislation. Getting it accepted by parliament is a different matter. The number of votes a party receives is irrelevant.

• Site Banned Posts: 5 Gerrybadry

It looks like there will be an IndyRef2 by 2021.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Gerrybadry wrote: »
    It looks like there will be an IndyRef2 by 2021.

IndyRef in 2021 followed by years of negotiations before independence happens. I'd demand a high price from the SNP if I were England. Citizenship rights for Scots who still consider themselves British, free trade, a share of North Sea oil.

• Advertisement

IndyRef in 2021 followed by years of negotiations before independence happens. I'd demand a high price from the SNP if I were England. Citizenship rights for Scots who still consider themselves British, free trade, a share of North Sea oil.

Yeah and maybe you can have your nuclear weapons and submarines back

I don't own any but I'm sure England will be happy to take them back. It's not much leverage for Scotland.

I don't own any but I'm sure England will be happy to take them back. It's not much leverage for Scotland.

Where will they be based?

Where will they be based?

There are several alternatives. All of them costly but the UK will put up the cash if they need to.

as long as they come with all the shipbuilding and other jobs that were moved to Scotland, I doubt any one wold be too upset.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

as long as they come with all the shipbuilding and other jobs that were moved to Scotland, I doubt any one wold be too upset.

They account for 0.15% of the Scottish economy and the employment levels fluctuate dramatically do to the nature of the Industry. So probably worth it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

There are several alternatives. All of them costly but the UK will put up the cash if they need to.

There actually very few locations and none in England. Apart from Scotland, Cork and Killary provide the best natural defence for a navy.

There actually very few locations and none in England. Apart from Scotland, Cork and Killary provide the best natural defence for a navy.

There are a few sites in England. Like I said, it will cost a lot of money.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There are a few sites in England. Like I said, it will cost a lot of money.

Portsmouth? Greenwich? Falmouth? I don't think so.

They need deep water, with different deep water routes out from the base. They have no alternatives, except to give up nuclear weapons altogether which could save loads of dosh, and since they would be a smaller country with much reduced GDP and reduced international reputation, it might suit them. After all, they are just place holders for USA military might.

• Advertisement

They account for 0.15% of the Scottish economy and the employment levels fluctuate dramatically do to the nature of the Industry. So probably worth it.

easy to be flippant about 7000 jobs when one of them isn't yours

Advertisement