Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IM Barcelona 2020

• 07-07-2019 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

Looking at Barca 2020 and looking at accomodation to see if it can work for the family If possible, I'd be looking for an apartment for a week for 4 adults and 3 kids. Reluctant to book with airbnb as I've had them cancel in the past when it suits the owner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CJay1

Are you looking for advice on booking an apartment for a week in Barcelona?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭S_D

Nugget80 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking at Barca 2020 and looking at accomodation to see if it can work for the family If possible, I'd be looking for an apartment for a week for 4 adults and 3 kids. Reluctant to book with airbnb as I've had them cancel in the past when it suits the owner.

Booking.com - Calalla... you'll get plenty around the area if you book on time

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

I booked in Feb for this year, and there was still plenty available.

Found the hotel I liked through the online sites, and then contacted the hotel directly with an email, as there was a good mix of rooms that I was looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Did anybody receive a priority registration link today for Barcelona 2020?
    It says the following on the website;

Opted-in Europe, Middle East and Africa TriClub athletes will receive a link per
    email on Wednesday, 9 October 2019, 2:00 pm CEST.

I received priority registration links for Wales and Italy but none for Barca today.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rodriquez

PWEI wrote: »
    Did anybody receive a priority registration link today for Barcelona 2020?
    It says the following on the website;

Opted-in Europe, Middle East and Africa TriClub athletes will receive a link per
    email on Wednesday, 9 October 2019, 2:00 pm CEST.

I received priority registration links for Wales and Italy but none for Barca today.

yea, I got one today - i can DM it to you if you want to check if it will work?

• Advertisement

rodriquez wrote: »
    yea, I got one today - i can DM it to you if you want to check if it will work?

Yes please if your not using it.

just signed up for 2020...first full....cant wait

PWEI wrote: »
    Yes please if your not using it.

sent you the link there - hopefully it works for you

rodriquez wrote: »
    sent you the link there - hopefully it works for you

Got sorted thanks. Maybe somebody else could use it.

when do flights get released? Doesnt seem to be much online yet

• Advertisement

S_D wrote: »
    when do flights get released? Doesnt seem to be much online yet

Ryanair flights are available now and Aer Lingus should be up next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭rxchxy

Any priority registration links would be much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

rxchxy wrote: »
    Any priority registration links would be much appreciated :)

Just sent you a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nugget80

If anyone has a prority link going spare I'd really appreciate it.

Nugget80 wrote: »
    If anyone has a prority link going spare I'd really appreciate it.

just sent you a DM with the link

I'm in.

Did it this year, and it's a great way to close off the summer.

Just over 2 months out now. What are people thinking - will it go ahead? Will you travel if it does?

Just over 2 months out now. What are people thinking - will it go ahead? Will you travel if it does?

I cannot see it going ahead with numbers on the increase in Spain and mainland Europe.
    Maybe thats wishful thinking as while I have been training, I did not really step up to the longer distances at weekends. Training has been more social than goal focussed for the last while.

However, if it does go ahead, I am more in the 'won't travel' camp, but just waiting to see if they cancel first before making my final decision.

I defered already. Its not going to happen so why prolong the what if's. Was training heavily for it too..ah well..faster next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

What are the options if the race is either cancelled or rescheduled till next year? Can you transfer to another European event or are you just still entered in the rescheduled race?

I'm registered and not going to race, just trying to gauge whether there's anything to gain by holding off deferring my entry & seeing if it goes ahead.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Chris871 wrote: »
    What are the options if the race is either cancelled or rescheduled till next year? Can you transfer to another European event or are you just still entered in the rescheduled race?

I'm registered and not going to race, just trying to gauge whether there's anything to gain by holding off deferring my entry & seeing if it goes ahead.

They may give you the option of a couple of other races that they haven't been able to fill to transfer into for this year but for some of them they offered to entrants of races earlier in the summer these too have been cancelled. Then they'll auto transfer you into next years race. If you can't do next years race, tough luck you won't get a refund or an answer to your emails. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭benji2006

Still no update on Barcelona going ahead... supposed to be definite news 50 days in advance...

Here is the only recent news I can find...(Google translated from Catalan)

https://www.calella.com/2020/08/15/lironman-barcelona-penja-dun-fil/#iLightbox[gallery6975]/0

Ironman Barcelona hangs by a thread
    View Larger Image
    For now, it’s more likely that it won’t end up being done than it can be done. In the event that it is carried out, the measures imposed by the brand's American parent company cast doubt on the viability of the Ironman Barcelona event scheduled for 4 October. So far, officially, the Spanish subsidiary of Ironman has not said anything.
    The action plan that Ironman is carrying out worldwide includes a condition that would make it impossible to carry out the Barcelona test as planned by the Spanish subsidiary. The Ironman plant in Florida is demanding a reduction in the number of participants to 1,200 ; in this way it considers that it can guarantee the protocols to prevent the transmission of the virus COVID-19. The Ironman Barcelona event, which should be held on October 4, should be reduced from 3,500 registered to 1,200 , almost a third. This is the limitation on the number of participants.

With this scenario, what is clear is that the Ironman 70.3 Barcelona test will not be held, postponed to the same date and that it should have been held on May 17, or at least it will not be possible if the protocols marked by the Americans. For now, on the official website of Ironman, it is stated that the 70.3 Barcelona test will be held on October 4 and the test has already been announced for next spring, which will be on May 16, 2021. The 2020 World Cup ‘Ironman have been suspended. In this test 70.3 Barcelona were offered places for the world.

In view of this situation, the Spanish subsidiary of Ironman has only two options. Or limit the number of participants to a third party and eliminate 2,300 registrants assuming the losses that the organization will have. The Ministry of Education and Sports requests that this type of test be performed only with professional athletes. This would be the criterion for lowering the number of participants to 1,200. In order to minimize losses, he could ask some public administration for financial protection in order to be able to carry out the test, alleging that suspending it would be worse for the Calella economy - hotels and restaurants depend on it - and for the Catalan economy. The other option is to permanently suspend the 2020 Ironman Barcelona test.

In addition, the Department of Health of the Generalitat prepared a report that calls into question the holding of crowded events, such as the triathlon test that takes place in Calella, in October for the forecast of a coronavirus wave that would eventually last until April 2021.

If the Calella triathlon scheduled for October 4 is suspended, the city's hotel, commercial and restaurant sector will receive a new blow. Some hoteliers are waiting for the news from Ironman to keep the hotels open during the month of September so they can cater to participants who have bookings made for the test in early October. Restaurants and trade in general are also waiting for news.

The Ironman test in Vitoria-Gasteiz, which was to be held on 12 July and was initially postponed to 11 October, has finally been canceled. Therefore, in Vitoria there will be no triathlon until July 12, 2021, if all goes well. Registered athletes are not refunded the 600 euros of registration, but have been automatically enrolled in the test of 2021. Some of them have been dissatisfied with the organization.

Barcelona City Council has decided to suspend this year's Marathon, initially scheduled for March 14, moved to October 25 and finally suspended. The next Barcelona marathon will take place in 2021, on November 7. Registered participants are given the opportunity to move to 2021, return all money or return 75% (making a donation of the rest for the expenses of the organization).

The situation of the pandemic does not seem to be able to improve much if a vaccine is not found and is administered in a generic way to the population. Only in this way could new mass events be held, such as the triathlon held in Calella, which brings athletes from the five continents.

I'm thinking I'm just going to defer at this stage. Can only defer up to 45 days before the race which is Thursday and with the silence coming from Ironman I'm not hopeful of hearing anything before then

I'm thinking I'm just going to defer at this stage. Can only defer up to 45 days before the race which is Thursday and with the silence coming from Ironman I'm not hopeful of hearing anything before then

Nearly forgot about the deadline to defer my entry until I say this. Thanks for the reminder :D

It's like a game of chicken - Ironman don't look like they will publish a decision before the 45 day cut-off for deferrals.

I am injured so cannot take part anyways, but wanted them to make a decision to cancel before I deferred - by not personally deferring, I was hoping to keep the option open to transfer to a different race next year, if they cancelled this year completely

I see the Portugal race was pushed back to November - I wonder if they are thinking along the same lines with Barcelona - given that they have now scheduled the 70.3 and full race on the same weekend (same day?), it makes it even more complicated...

benji2006 wrote: »
    It's like a game of chicken - Ironman don't look like they will publish a decision before the 45 day cut-off for deferrals.

I am injured so cannot take part anyways, but wanted them to make a decision to cancel before I deferred - by not personally deferring, I was hoping to keep the option open to transfer to a different race next year, if they cancelled this year completely

I see the Portugal race was pushed back to November - I wonder if they are thinking along the same lines with Barcelona - given that they have now scheduled the 70.3 and full race on the same weekend (same day?), it makes it even more complicated...

I'm the exact same, wont be racing but was hoping i'd have more options if they cancelled it rather than me deferring. Finding it hard to believe there'll by comms in the next 48 hrs though. Not the best of form on their part.

Dear athlete,

With the health and safety of our community being an utmost priority, and in alignment with the authorities in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic, we can confirm that the IRONMAN Barcelona triathlon originally scheduled for October 4 cannot take place in 2020 and will return on October 3, 2021.

In what has been a continually evolving and challenging time globally, we recognize that this decision due to the above-mentioned unforeseen events may come as a disappointment. While we are prevented from holding the event in 2020, we are looking forward to providing you with an exceptional race experience at IRONMAN Barcelona in 2021.

All registered athletes of the 2020 IRONMAN Barcelona triathlon will have their race registration automatically moved to the 2021 race date.

We also realize that this change may impact your travel arrangements, therefore registered participants are advised to contact their travel providers immediately to inform them of your situation.

If you have further questions, please contact us at barcelona@ironman.com.

We appreciate your patience and support in this very dynamic time.

Kind Regards,
    The IRONMAN Barcelona Team

Terms and conditions: If the above option is not suitable, please contact barcelona@ironman.com on or before August 31, 2020 at 23:59 pm CEST to apply for an event credit voucher valid through December 31, 2021. Dates are subject to any related Covid-19 restrictions.

Officially cancelled now. October 3rd 2021

Just in case anyone didn't notice, you need to re-register today..

And they have removed the option to switch races, irrespective of when you "deferred".. :-(

• Advertisement

benji2006 wrote: »
    Just in case anyone didn't notice, you need to re-register today..

And they have removed the option to switch races, irrespective of when you "deferred".. :-(

Probably a stupid question, but what am I missing here?

I thought everyone was automatically registered. :confused:

Advertisement