Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meta Quest

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Well I'm bolloxed. Just been playing for 3 hours straight and I've got 30% battery left.

In short, it's amazing.

They've thought of everything, from the way you can view the real world when walking outside your boundary, to being able to set up a "local boundary" when you just want to sit and watch Oculus TV.

The screen resolution on Oculus TV is best I've seen in VR yet. So I reckon the Quest will be THE way to watch movies in VR. In general everything looks a lot clearer although you can tell a lot of textures are lower than what you would see on Rift.

I didn't have any audio problems that McDermot had...yet...so fingers crossed ..maybe they sent out a fix for it today?

As for games I tried, Beat Saber is perfect as expected, Robo Recall is decent though atmos would prob be improved with headphones, the little dancing game that's in the setup is amazing and a sign of what can be done when you are wireless (spinning around etc).

Stand outs were Space Pirate Trainer which really works so well when you've no wires stopping you from rolling around, and Journey of the Gods...this feels exactly like being in Zelda. It's prob gonna be an instant buy even though it's pricey enough.

Haven't tried Vader yet, that's tomorrow.

So yeah..overall very impressed, and what impressed me the most was taking off the headset and realizing everything I had experienced for the past 3 hours was powered soley by the tiny thing between my hands.

Oh and the build quality is as expected: sharp and sturdy. Even the box it comes in is quality ;)

Doge wrote: »
    I'm thinking Mr Cheez silence is due to him trying out CzechVR on his new headset and he's after having a fap nap! :p

Hehe...ya know I might well have to put Vader on hold just to check that...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,569 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

mrcheez wrote: »

I didn't have any audio problems that McDermot had...yet...so fingers crossed ..maybe they sent out a fix for it today?

Aye. It's a very hard one to pin down. Last night I was on it for another hour so swapping the headset with someone and there's no sign of any audio issue at all.
    There was an initial update alright during setup, no doubt you had the same yourself, but it's just minor complaint.
    Reddit users reporting much the same - just can't pin it down to a specific thing - which makes it hard to implement a fix (though Oculus have said they are aware). Could be anything - interference from another source, wifi etc

One thing that did pop up was when trying the casting to mobile/tablet last night. Wasn't sure if there'd be a performance hit or some such, but apparently the lad I had trying out Robo Recall in the headset as I was casting was saying it appeared very jittery , and as soon as I cut the casting, he noticed an immediate improvement. Could be just a software thing - FWIW Beat Saber wouldn't cast out (might be a game dependant thing).
    Will be trying it again after with myself in the headset to see if it was just a one off.

Being in the passthrough mode made me feel like I was in the "Here They Lie" (on PSVR) universe... it's kinda surreal as even your arms and hands look like VR graphics, rather than just viewing them through a camera.

I'd say you could jump in front of someone's view when they were in this mode and freak them out completely.

Well Vader Immortal is a fine piece of kick-ass-ness. Vader is fricking huge! Feels like you're on a Star Wars experience at Disneyland.

Even after the main campaign is over, there is a light saber dojo which fully involves you flipping around 360, flailing your saber at attacking droids, either clashing sabers or reflecting laser bolts.

Superb value for €10

... Oh...and our Czech friends do look great too :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Well Vader Immortal is a fine piece of kick-ass-ness. Vader is fricking huge! Feels like you're on a Star Wars experience at Disneyland.

Even after the main campaign is over, there is a light saber dojo which fully involves you flipping around 360, flailing your saber at attacking droids, either clashing sabers or reflecting laser bolts.

Superb value for €10

... Oh...and our Czech friends do look great too :P

Aw, Quest exclusive is it ? Hope it comes to Rift..

Shlippery wrote: »
    Aw, Quest exclusive is it ? Hope it comes to Rift..

it is coming to Rift eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭Doge

Great little side loading software for Oculus Quest and Go, using it on my Go at the moment:

Good ol' Marcus. He's very clear and concise and (rarely for UK YouTubers) he doesn't roll his r's and replace th with f.

It's a weally stwong pet hate of mine.

Now this looks awesome, unlike RiftCat, with ALVR it looks like wirelessly streaming VR games from your Steam PC to your Quest, Go or Gear VR is actually playable.

I'll try it out on my Go, and get back to you guys on how it fares:

• Advertisement

So finally got around to playing this outdoors. Had to wait till sun set as the tracking just noped while there was any sunlight or bright surfaces.

So while waiting for that I played my Go instead which has no problems in any light. Man playing Racket Fury on the Go with the sun beating down on you feels so great. Great workout too.

After sunset it was Quests turn and I set up my playspace in the garden (neighbours must think I'm mad). Had a blast playing Robo Recall with the wind blowing around me. Total immersion. And even when the rain started to fall I swear I initially thought I was imagining it from the game.

So anyway I'll be doing this all summer and will end up with an interesting facial tan ;)

Just remember make sure not to expose the Go’s lenses to direct sunlight when the headset is off, as it can damage them.

Doge wrote: »
    Just remember make sure not to expose the Go’s lenses to direct sunlight when the headset is off, as it can damage them.

this is a meme now on reddit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,569 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Apparently there's an issue with the Oculus InEar headphones.......an issue that causes mono sound in place of stereo.
    Oculus will be shipping out new versions in July free of charge, but are offering buyers the option of a refund if they wish or a replacement, as well as 30 dollars credit on the Oculus Store.
    In either case, they can keep the original set.

Excellent response to be fair.

McDermotX wrote: »
    Apparently there's an issue with the Oculus InEar headphones.......an issue that causes mono sound in place of stereo.
    Oculus will be shipping out new versions in July free of charge, but are offering buyers the option of a refund if they wish or a replacement, as well as 30 dollars credit on the Oculus Store.
    In either case, they can keep the original set.

Excellent response to be fair.

ha! Damn I was just about to buy a set last week, d'oh

I decided to stick with a standard pair, though the long wire is a bit of a nuisance alright.

Speaking of headphones you can 3D print this to use Oculus Rift headphones on the quest- some soldering is required:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3656204

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

Slightly off topic but has anyone had any problems using Irish addresses on the Oculus website? Had the same issue when I ordered my Go last year in that the system doesn't like the state/province field and won't accept Galway/Connacht, etc. My order has been on hold for 3 days now while I wait for support to get on the case.... very frustrating.

NickTellis wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but has anyone had any problems using Irish addresses on the Oculus website? Had the same issue when I ordered my Go last year in that the system doesn't like the state/province field and won't accept Galway/Connacht, etc. My order has been on hold for 3 days now while I wait for support to get on the case.... very frustrating.

yeah I faintly remember something about it not liking my Eircode.

I gave support a shout and they sorted it fairly swiftly though, but does seem to be an issue alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Tempted to buy this. Lot less hassle than the Vive I think

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

yeah I faintly remember something about it not liking my Eircode.

I gave support a shout and they sorted it fairly swiftly though, but does seem to be an issue alright.

Quest finally shipped on Friday, any ideas how long it takes to deliver? I seem to remember my Go took about 1 week...

• Advertisement

Quest finally shipped on Friday, any ideas how long it takes to deliver? I seem to remember my Go took about 1 week...

yeah about a week. Comes from Netherlands.

yeah about a week. Comes from Netherlands.

Never mind, it just landed on my desk :)

Never mind, it just landed on my desk :)

wooh, prepare to be amazed.

The setup process is so cool ... you'll be spinning about the place (literally)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,067 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Sorry I read this thread, quest arrived this morning...very productive day in work so far.
    Impressed with how accessible it is...

So what should I get for free for it and what's worth paying for?

Vader Immortal is great. Beyond the core game which is only really a short (but very immersive) story, the Light Saber Dojo is what you're going to come back to time and time again.

Beat Saber is essential if you don't have it, plus there's a way to add your own songs to it fairly easily using SideQuest (best google it as I haven't done it yet).

Superhot is another essential title.

Then lots of others are great too, like Robo Recall, Moss, Racket Fury.

Virtual Desktop will allow you to play your computer from anywhere. It used to also allow you play SteamVR games from the PC, but Oculus unfortunately decided to block this yesterday.

Cheers...

Not sure if this is possible I've my oculus on adverts for sale, if I sell it can I still use my sim racing set up with the quest via pc for racing.
    If not I'll still have to hold onto the old oculus.

Cheers...

Not sure if this is possible I've my oculus on adverts for sale, if I sell it can I still use my sim racing set up with the quest via pc for racing.
    If not I'll still have to hold onto the old oculus.

yeah apparently using ALVR

https://youtu.be/gtmJInS7RxU?t=25

I'd hold onto the Rift headset just until you are sure it's all working though.

So I feel asleep watching antman last night only meant to put it on for 5 minutes before going to bed, mrs woke me at 2 on the couch.

Seriously impressed with it, being able to put your head in and out of reality is unreal, like stepping into another world.

I tried the boxing game but I think I was caught for space, wish it would stop raining, need to get out to the garden, can see what you mean now. As Tony Montana said the world is your oyster. This really bridges a gap.

I must have bought few games in my steam account as there not showing up I own them in oculus. Might buy that Beat Saber, I already have Robo Recall and tempted to buy Dart Vader game, taking it to a party tonight so want a few fun easy to jump into games. Is there any way to get the games at a discount or anything?

Hands down the best VR device I've used. I'll give that ALVR a try over the next few days, If I get that working for sims it would be the icing on the cake.

So I feel asleep watching antman last night only meant to put it on for 5 minutes before going to bed, mrs woke me at 2 on the couch.

Seriously impressed with it, being able to put your head in and out of reality is unreal, like stepping into another world.

I tried the boxing game but I think I was caught for space, wish it would stop raining, need to get out to the garden, can see what you mean now. As Tony Montana said the world is your oyster. This really bridges a gap.

I must have bought few games in my steam account as there not showing up I own them in oculus. Might buy that Beat Saber, I already have Robo Recall and tempted to buy Dart Vader game, taking it to a party tonight so want a few fun easy to jump into games. Is there any way to get the games at a discount or anything?

Hands down the best VR device I've used. I'll give that ALVR a try over the next few days, If I get that working for sims it would be the icing on the cake.

Excellent!

A few things to note though if you're going to be bringing it to a party :eek: ... make sure no one wears their glasses in the headset as the lens can get scratched easily. Or use the included glasses spacer, but even with that I'd be a little hesitant.

Also keep the lens away from any bright light, even for 2-3 seconds, when using it outdoors. Reflections off bright furniture could potentially get in and burn the lens. Even indoors don't let bright lights blast it for a few mins.

And I guess ask people to wash their hands if they're covered in pizza or beer (perhaps that's just me though... I like to keep my electronics in pristine condition so don't normally bring em to parties) ;)

• Advertisement

One of the girls tried it in work yesterday, her eye sight is blurry without her glasses I got her to try it without her glasses and we adjusted the slider and it was clear for her to use with no glasses. Not sure what that means as far as her eye sight but great she didn't need them.

It's not a 21st so hopefully there all sensible enough, was going to try it last night but fell asleep, does it work in the dark inside or out?

Advertisement