Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Handwriting decipher thread *must post link to full page*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

threetrees wrote: »
    Hi, first time posting here and a newbie to research. I'm hooked now! Looking for the cause of death on line 20. Looks like "something something certified".

Thanks

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1908/05480/4534453.pdf

My...ile atrophy certified.
    Myo usually refers to muscle, atrophy is a wasting away.

Muscular atrophy is usually due to malnutrition, given that this is an infant, it probably indicates that he had a condition preventing absorption of his diet., such as allergy to dairy products or gluten.

Certified simply means the cause of death was certified by a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭threetrees

Looks to me like "Infantile atrophy". [Seems awful!]
    Thank you! I see that's exactly it now, well done! The poor child.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

tabbey wrote: »
    I have found Campbell Street South in the Geographia street map of Belfast, undated but about late 1960s / early 70s. It was too small to show on the actual map, but was in the street list with location.
    This area was largely demolished for redevelopment in the 1970s and 80s.

It was on the north side of Divis Street, (now A501) immediately west of the bridge over the Westlink (A12). Townsend Streetand Fingal's Court now covers the area.

The area is dominated by the Divis Flats, infamous during the troubles.

Thank you for going to the effort of finding that! You've found great information.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Opinions on the godparents to Cornelius Joyce born 30/7/1848 to Richard Joyce and Bridget Tubbs please. 6th down on the right hand side.

https://registers.nli.ie/pages/vtls000635019_179

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Opinions on the godparents to Cornelius Joyce born 30/7/1848 to Richard Joyce and Bridget Tubbs please. 6th down on the right hand side.

https://registers.nli.ie/pages/vtls000635019_179

Cornelius Fogarty and Mary Carroll?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

spurious wrote: »
    Cornelius Fogarty and Mary Carroll?

I'd second that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks all. I couldn't make out Carroll but the rest is the same as I thought.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

ietiK4L.png

Would appreciate if anyone could verify the info here:

* Addresses: 4 Simpson's Court, and 8 Lurgan St?
    * Father's profession: Cabinet maker?
    * Sponsors: William Sherry and Anne Walter?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

@oceanclub
    That all looks right to me.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

oceanclub wrote: »
    ietiK4L.png

Would appreciate if anyone could verify the info here:

* Addresses: 4 Simpson's Court, and 8 Lurgan St?
    * Father's profession: Cabinet maker?
    * Sponsors: William Sherry and Anne Walter?

Walker instead of Walter?

• Advertisement

Anyone have an idea what this baptism note might say? I'm not even sure it's in English or Latin! (Baptism from 1868 in Dublin)

RY4ldZD.jpg

Anyone have an idea what this baptism note might say? I'm not even sure it's in English or Latin! (Baptism from 1868 in Dublin)

RY4ldZD.jpg

I can make out that it's a sub condition baptism but I'm not sure of the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Yes, it is Latin, a conditional baptism (sub conditione/under condition) and the following bit is I think et supplevi ceremonias (supplied [at] the ceremonies).
    In short, there was some doubt if the recipient had been baptized previously, hence the conditional baptism.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You get something like that sometimes when a child was sick and baptised at birth by a midwife or similar.

Thank you all! Appreciate the feedback there.

For Clonshower on the left hand side of this Tithe image, I'm trying to make out what's beside some names: http://titheapplotmentbooks.nationalarchives.ie/reels/tab//004625725/004625725_00306.pdf

The first, second and eleventh person all have something after their name. It looks like '& Pat' to me but I don't know what that means. I think that it might have something to do with bog land since these three people are the only ones with land greater than 10 acres besides from Arthur French Esquire.

EDIT: I just noticed something else on the form. Just above the fourth person's name, there seems to be a faded Kelly added in later perhaps. My Kellys were from this area but I haven't been able to find his name in the Tithe books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Guessing .......probably '& pats', an abbreviation for 'partners'. It's 5th quality ground, so not far off 'waste'.

Guessing .......probably '& pats', an abbreviation for 'partners'. It's 5th quality ground, so not far off 'waste'.

Thank you! Yes that would make sense and it might explain why I haven't been able to find my Kelly ancestor in the Tithe books since the partners were not listed. The land being of 5th quality is no surprise. It's pretty much bog land with lots of evergreen trees in the area so even though I've never been, just looking at it from an aerial map makes it obvious that the land is of poor quality. It gives a good indicator that these people must have been struggling. I actually have an ancestor from this area that died as a pauper in the workhouse in 1866 despite being recorded as the occupier of land in Griffith's Valuation. It's no surprise that they left the area once they got into a bit of money.

mqW0His.png

In this baptism record, it looks like there's no name for the child of Michael Moloney & Norry Dundon (witnesses James Dwyer & Margaret Moloney) - any idea why the child's name may have been omitted in these cases?

P.

Can you link the whole page please?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

right hand page - abt 1/3 down Murroe, Boher and Abington 02508 / 01 - 2nd Dec 1827, looks like the priest left out the names of two children baptised on that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bellaf

Can you help me with this entry at the top of the page for the link below please: a marriage in St. Audoen's Dublin on the 4th of October 1879? It is very fuzzy unfortunately. I know the details for the bride: Julia Lacy, Tipper, Co. Kildare. Her parents were Christopher and Mary Lacy also of Tipper. I also know the name of the groom, John Carthy of Farmhill, Castleknock. I know from other records that his father's name was Martin but cannot make out his mother's name or the Latin entry under the groom's parent's address and it's significance.

I wasn't allowed include a url so the picture is at http
    registers.nli.ie/pages/vtls000633516_062

Thank you

bellaf wrote: »

I wasn't allowed include a url so the picture is at http
    registers.nli.ie/pages/vtls000633516_062

Thank you
    that link brings you to the basic un-zoomable version... here's the full version

for the groom's parents address - looks like it ends in Queen's Co. underneath that is the brides' parents address Tipper Co. Kildare

cant make out much of the mother's names except that they both end in a letter with a descender - e.g. y or g. The name for the groom's mother looks longer - possibly 7 or 8 letters..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭Vetch

shanew wrote: »
    that link brings you to the basic un-zoomable version... here's the full version

for the groom's parents address - looks like it ends in Queen's Co. underneath that is the brides' parents address Tipper Co. Kildare

can make out much of the mother's names except that they both end in a letter with a descender - e.g. y or g. The name for the groom's mother looks longer - possibly 7 or 8 letters..

Stradbally, Queen's Co., for the groom's parents' address. His mother's name might be Patricia. I can't see any Latin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

There is a death for Martin Carty, Garrymaddock Stradbally in 1905, age 79 widower of Jane.

g5s4vGj.png

Are the witnesses Michael Donlea (were they trying to spell Donnelly) and Bridy Dwyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bellaf

There is a death for Martin Carty, Garrymaddock Stradbally in 1905, age 79 widower of Jane.
    Thank you very much!
    It seems so obvious now that the address is Stradbally, Queens Co. I had thought about Stradbally but forgot it was Queen’s County then and was looking for Laois. That is where your expertise comes in. John Carty’s birthplace on the 1901 census is Co. Kildare but my grandfather had told me that the family came from somewhere around Ballyshannon or Suncroft Co. Kildare, which isn’t too far away.
    Sorry for the confusion about reference “Latin”. Since I couldn’t figure out the address I thought it might be a Latin comment!
    Do you think John Carty’s mother’s name could be Bridget? I have found a record on Roots Ireland for a John Carty born in June 1861 to Martin and Brigid Carty and baptised in Abbeyleix. I know that John died in May 1916 aged 54 years (a civilian casualty of the rising) so that date would be about right.
    Thanks again. Much appreciated!

Are the witnesses Michael Donlea (were they trying to spell Donnelly) and Bridy Dwyer?

I see the same - looks a good interpretation to me (maybe Brigd...)

bellaf wrote: »
    John Carty’s birthplace on the 1901 census is Co. Kildare
    Can you post the link to that? The only result coming up for me is a 22yo living in Offaly.

• Advertisement

Although he is is listed as McCarthy in the '01 census, which further muddies the water -

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Queen_s_Co_/Moyanna/Garrymaddock/1644940/

Advertisement