Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why did Gardai destroy possible burial site of Irelands longest missing child?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

rucksack wrote: »
    who are they? i do not have twitter

first one was Mick O Toole from the Star, second was Donal O Keeffe from the journal .ie

O Keeffe has been basically trolling anyone supporting this case

he tried to get me repeatedly to name the suspect and politician in this case when he must've known that this could affect due-process of any potential Legal case in the future

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

who are they? i do not have twitter

Its very easy join the twitter machine, are you on Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

How are you so sure Robert Black is innocent? He was a courier or delivery guy who was supposed to be in the derry area at the time she went missing, has this been fully eliminated from the police enquires?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

How are you so sure Robert Black is innocent? He was a courier or delivery guy who was supposed to be in the derry area at the time she went missing, has this been fully eliminated from the police enquires?

Didn't Robert produce tracking numbers to say he wasn't there?

Didn't Robert produce tracking numbers to say he wasn't there?

In 1977 or whenever it was, he must have been in a time machine !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭teddyhead

I dont think anyone is saying,or can categorically prove it wasnt Black but I dont think thats the issue here.
    I think the allegation is that other possible suspects were/are being protected.
    Maybe it was Black. Maybe it wasnt. Whats important in cases like this , is that all avenues are explored. Not just uncontroversial ones.

It wasnt Robert Black.

He drove a work van that had the company name on it,and his work records show he wasn't in Ireland at the time.

this area was -and is still - in the middle of nowhere , there were 2 fellas poaching on the river that day (it was them that alerted the police) , they had a lookout who had a great vantage view on top of the hill which is a good distance from any main road.
    He nor anyone else reported any strange cars in the area and back then in 1977 any "outsider" cars would have been spotted right away.

The gards had their main suspect from day 1 as I've said but they weren't allowed to formally question him, but he has nearly confessed just in conversation with them.

The local politician was reported in 1985 to have a "very close friendship" with the Chief Superintendent of South Donegal , this is on record in local newspapers after a small local scandal at the time.

these 2 retired gards have absolutely no reason to come forward with this story now . believe me when i say it was not a stranger to the area that did this awful crime and her remains aren't far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

What river were the poachers at? Sorry if it seems like a silly question but I'm from Donegal and trying to get my bearings on where this happened.
    The case dounds dodgy as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

I know it could affect any future case if names are named so i don't suggest anyone does.

But I truly believe the only way to bring those feckers involved in the murder and cover up is to expose them while they are still alive. Justice will never be done in a court room on this case, at least not until all the main players are long dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭honreal

I know it could affect any future case if names are named so i don't suggest anyone does.

But I truly believe the only way to bring those feckers involved in the murder and cover up is to expose them while they are still alive. Justice will never be done in a court room on this case, at least not until all the main players are long dead.

You see this is it in a nutshell, if there was political interference last time you can bet there will be this time. They all look out for eachother. Naming and shaming would expose the person while they are alive and 'everyone' would know but then you have the flip side of could this person go down the road of defamation of character against the person shouting their name and pointing them out as the killer.

• Advertisement

I also wonder about motive. Why would somebody want this young child dead?

Ipso wrote: »
    What river were the poachers at? Sorry if it seems like a silly question but I'm from Donegal and trying to get my bearings on where this happened.

I dont know the area myself , my side of the family was Marys father side who are from Keadue/Kincasslagh area . but the river ran thru Cashelard into Ballyshannon as I read in a few accounts that the alarm was only raised with the gards when the poachers were asked to row into Ballyshannon and contact the gardai.. not many phones about in those days! but still crazy in my eyes!

honreal wrote: »
    You see this is it in a nutshell, if there was political interference last time you can bet there will be this time. They all look out for eachother. Naming and shaming would expose the person while they are alive and 'everyone' would know but then you have the flip side of could this person go down the road of defamation of character against the person shouting their name and pointing them out as the killer.

Yes its better if we dont name and shame , it can affect any case because of " Due process " if it ever does go to court. the people themselves and more importantly the political parties all know who they are, not that i hold any trust at all in these parties but they know there name is being blackened by being linked to this.

It wont be as long as we dont sit back and let it happen, we have all the info in this case but we need everyone`s help in pushing the case into the mainstream . A Fianna Fail minister has came out and admitted that the main suspect was a member of his party , as is the politican involved , i urge anyone who wants to help in this case to go to their local FF TD and ask them what they are doing about the allegations involving their still serving politician and the main suspect and the alleged cover up.

The FF politician in this case is still serving, he is into his 70s though, as is the main suspect,so time is not on our side.
    honreal wrote: »
    I also wonder about motive. Why would somebody want this young child dead?

The journalist involved in investigating this believes sexual abuse was the main factor and i also 100% believe this, it is sadly the case in the reason most kids are taken and indeed murdered.

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    It wont be as long as we dont sit back and let it happen, we have all the info in this case but we need everyone`s help in pushing the case into the mainstream . ....

This is very important, that it's pushed in to the media. I'll join up on twitter later. Just to note an extensive thread that had been running on this case on politics.ie was deleted without warning about 2 days ago.

This is very important, that it's pushed in to the media. I'll join up on twitter later. Just to note an extensive thread that had been running on this case on politics.ie was deleted without warning about 2 days ago.

yes i saw that, it was a very good thread but unfortunately, it was very indirectly naming names, this could've been the reason it was took down but again it would fit in with what is happening with anyone who supports this case , we are getting obstacles put in our way at every junction . my twitter today and last night now is mysteriously not working too i cant even get on there at all .

and thank you for this... search #MaryBoyle for detailed info on there

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They are not lazy - just afraid to question their political masters and do not deserve to be called 'journalist'
    Oh they are lazy, some guy made a website following Irish stories and showing where they stole the original story from. I can't read news on my phone because half the article is just a mess of broken twitter quotes from random people off the internet. There's a hell of a lot of copy and paste and retweeting going on in the Irish media.

That's why I think they need to be spoon feed the guts of the story before they'll bother running this story.

oranbhoy67 wrote: »

I dont know the area myself , my side of the family was Marys father side who are from Keadue/Kincasslagh area . but the river ran thru Cashelard into Ballyshannon as I read in a few accounts that the alarm was only raised with the gards when the poachers were asked to row into Ballyshannon and contact the gardai.. not many phones about in those days! but still crazy in my eyes!
    Add your reply here.

To be honest The poacher story sounds iffy. I can't think of a river there that's worth poaching or you could row on, apart from the Erne and I thought Cashelard doesn't go that far south.
    I'm wide open to correction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭rucksack

Add your reply here.

To be honest The poacher story sounds iffy. I can't think of a river there that's worth poaching or you could row on, apart from the Erne and I thought Cashelard doesn't go that far south.
    I'm wide open to correction.
    The poaching story is true It is referred to in this book
    by a garda sub aqua diver, in this article and this book by Barry Cummins and several other places

Yeah, they were on Lough Columcille. It's on a very quiet road with a few houses but a lot of fields/bogs.
    The case is intriguing and infuriating

• Advertisement

Sorry, there isn't enough yet for me to join a lynching mob!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Ninjini

I wouldn't class looking for a proper investigation a "lynching mob".

Ninjini wrote: »
    I wouldn't class looking for a proper investigation a "lynching mob".

It was an extreme statement alright

Who knows, maybe Thierry Henry will handle a ball in a football game again in the future. That's usually the type of stuff that get Irish people's blood pumping.

Lynching mob ??

not exactly

im looking to find out why the gards who were on the case of my still-missing 6 year old murdered cousin have alleged that they were never allowed to arrest their main suspect from day 1 .

Why that man who has been named in numerous statements as i said both by his own family member and said gards and others has NEVER been questioned on this charge ! he is now 73 and god knows how long we have left to try and get the information on where she is buried and that is all we want at this moment and off course a prosecution and conviction if a jury decides ,

as far as i am aware Lynching is not legal in Ireland and certainly isnt part of the justice procedure

sometimes if you have nothing decent or worthwhile to say then you are better off saying nothing at all

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Has anyone petitioned the garda ombudsman? Surely if a complaint is raised against the guards and case in question, the ombudsman would be obliged to investigate?

ScumLord wrote: »
    Has anyone petitioned the garda ombudsman? Surely if a complaint is raised against the guards and case in question, the ombudsman would be obliged to investigate?

The ombudsman is investigating , hopefully he (they?) manages to do something but we have so little faith left with the Gardai & the state that it's hard to muster up any enthusiasm at the same time

oranbhoy67 wrote:
    as far as i am aware Lynching is not legal in Ireland and certainly isnt part of the justice procedure

oranbhoy67 wrote:
    Why that man who has been named in numerous statements as i said both by his own family member and said gards and others has NEVER been questioned on this charge ! he is now 73 and god knows how long we have left to try and get the information on where she is buried and that is all we want at this moment and off course a prosecution and conviction if a jury decides ,

Mentioned in statements! What is the evidence? Are there witnesses to him with the child or in the area, did he make a statement to the investigators at any stage?

Mentioned in statements! What is the evidence? Are there witnesses to him with the child or in the area, did he make a statement to the investigators at any stage?

The investigators weren't allowed to ask him for a formal statement.They were told to look elsewhere.

• Advertisement

The investigators weren't allowed to ask him for a formal statement.They were told to look elsewhere.

No commissioner or minister for justice could stand over that and justify it and they would not leave themselves open to the allegation, I think there has to be some statement or interaction on file that covers the man's alibi. I don't know who he is but no one is that untouchable. Can the op tell us what the Garda have stated as their reason for no interviewing him (current commissioner)?

Advertisement