Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Genealogy - buses come together

• 08-10-2010 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭

searched IrishGenealogy last night and came across the marriage of my maternal Gt Grandparents Charles Edward Augustus McCullen and Catherine Carson. This has been a brick wall and then suddenly the record is there.....

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/3f456b0892508

Was then able to do searches on Catherine Carson's line and found more branches of the tree and added a new surname to the tree - Alderdice - a name I've not come across before. Found some of them in the 1901 and 1911 census plus a group who went to London in the mid 1800's.

The above marriage link gives Charles's fathers name as James so decided to do a search on Ancestry and stumbled on his son's probate record instead - James Alexander McCullen who died in Liverpool in April 1940.

Just waiting for the third bus to come along now... hopefully it'll be a record about James McCullen.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

That's cool!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

3rd bus came along.

National Archives now has a medal card for James Alexander McCullen b1881, Co Down. Served in the Mercantile Marine during WW1 and awarded VM, BWM etc.

These were all records that weren't available a short while ago and then suddenly all click into place on 3 different service providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

It's amazing how one small piece of evidence can open everything up! :)

Well done for persevering

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Thats excellent news Johnny Doyle, after all the help you have given me I am very pleased things have worked out for you.

I hope all the info falls into your lap from now on.

Advertisement