Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

shea - o'shea help or ideas

• 07-10-2010 7:36pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

hi all,

i hope you can help me or give me ideas of where to go.

i had a massive break through today but have hit another wall:rolleyes:

i had been searching for g-g-g father. according to my gran his name was patrick o'shea.

i have the o'shea's on the 1911 census in bray, mary is a widow by then.

i have found my g-g-g grandmother on the 1901 census as kate shea living as servant in bray.

still no luck and the rest of the family but i found the baptismal certs today children Rosanna, Catherine, Pat and William. turns out his name is john shea and not patrick o'shea and her name is marie redmond and not mary redmond.

i cant find any record of their marriage or of them on the 1901 census. Rosanna died around 14-15 according to gran - womens problems apparently. she was passed by the 1911 census

there is no record of the marriage cert on LDS and no mention of them on the census.

anyone know where i can go from here?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Were the children born between the two censuses?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Were the children born between the two censuses?

No, there wasnt

Catherine (Kate) was baptised in Bray 1882

Rosanna (Rose) was baptised in Bray 1886 (had passed by 1911)

William was baptised in Bray 1889

Pat (Patrick) was baptised in Bray 1884

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I need more information before I can help.

You mention your ggg grandfather Patrick O'Shea (now you've discovered John is his first name - is this from the baptismal records?) I wouldn't worry at all about the O' people dropped and used the O' and Macs all the time. If you've gotten this first name change from the baptismal cert, get a civil cert for one or more of the kids to confirm both parents' names accurately. Mary could be down as Maria in Latin?
    i have found my g-g-g grandmother on the 1901 census as kate shea living as servant in bray.

Where does this person fit in? I thought your ggg grandmother was Mary or Marie Redmond?

The children born in the 1880s are all likely married by 1911, if not by 1901, so the girls will have different surnames.

Also, are you expecting them to be in Bray or have you widened out the search to all of Wicklow and Dublin and maybe Carlow?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

If you are based in Dublin it's probably worth a look at the parish records for Bray in the National Library, Kildare St (assuming they were Catholic).

The microfilm reference is Pos.9371, and it covers baptisms and marriages back to 1792. Most of the writing in this register is quite good and easy to read.

what counties of birth are listed for John and Mary/Marie on the census ?

Shane

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

okay, will try and answer the questions - sorry, i was getting confused myself.

John Shea (g-g-grandfather) was married to Marie Redmond (g-g-grandmother)

They had 4 children

Catherine (Kate) - my great grandmother
    Rosanna who died around 15 years
    William
    Patrick

Catherine (g-grandmother) married William McGrath (G-grandfather)

All the children were baptised in Little Bray, County Wicklow. I have copies of their Baptismal Certs from IFHF.ie

Catherine and William are buried in Little Bray.

My grandmother lives across the road from their original house now.

John Shea died young - he had passed by the 1911 Census.

Catherine birthplace was given as Bray, County Wicklow on the 1901 Census. I cant find the rest of the family on the 1901 census.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wicklow/Bray/Marine_Terrace/1811300/

On the 1911 Census i have

Marie, Catherine, William and Patrick as O'Shea and their birthplace was given as County Dublin.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wicklow/Bray_No_1/Kingstown___Dublin_Road/891337/

now the problem with the birthplace is they lived literally on the dublin/wicklow border and there is still current day issues with this!!

John Shea was according to my gran from cahersiveen, kerry but her brothe said he was from Tralee kerry.

My gran said he was a gardener and would always bring mary home a rose every night.

My gran originally said John and Marie were buried in St. Peter's Church, Little Bray but now she thinks they are buried in Ballyman Cemetary (which i cant find).

They all lived in bray and died in bray.

John and the two boys were both fluent irish speakers and were a bit intense about the irish lanuage by all accounts. Patrick would only buy things from other fluent speaks i.e. he travelled 10 miles to buy his shoe polish from a irish speaker bootmaker!!

i find it strange if they were so involved with the irish lanuage why they dont have irish names - so have been search under irish versions of the name but still havent come up with anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

irishbird wrote: »
    now the problem with the birthplace is they lived literally on the dublin/wicklow border and there is still current day issues with this!!
    They all lived in bray and died in bray.

The county border does not really matter... for earlier records little Bray was part of Bray parish (as was Old Connaght, etc). After 1866 it became a parish and has it's own records on microfilm Pos .9372.

I'd say the NLI films are the way to go - although they dont include death/burials (most RC registers dont).

note parish records online and on the NLI films generally only cover up to about 1900 or sometimes 1880... for later dates you need civil records.

Shane

Advertisement