Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Burials vs Baptisms at irishgenealogy.ie

Options
  • 12-07-2012 11:01am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Something I've noticed while searching irishgenealogy.ie is the ratio of baptisms to burials and I'm just wondering why there are so many more of one than the other.
    Hitting the search button without filling in a name or date gives the following results:

Baptism - 2,067,550
    Burial - 303,277
    Marriage - 428447

Anyone got an thoughts on this?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Main reason is that very few RC parish registers include death/burials.

S.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

It's as simple as that? Ah well, just thought I'd ask.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Overall ratio of burials to baptisms is about 14%, but if you check just CofI records for Dublin City the figures are quite different.. just over 80%

Baptisms 231,064 / Burials 288,270 / Marriages 67,530

Similarly for Carlow 60% and much lower for Kerry at about 20%.

S.

shanew wrote: »
    Overall ratio of burials to baptisms is about 14%, but if you check just CofI records for Dublin City the figures are quite different.. just over 80%

Baptisms 231,064 / Burials 288,270 / Marriages 67,530

just realized that 80% for Dublin is the other way round ... more people where listed in CofI registers as being buried in Dublin city parishes than baptised !

maybe I should have said the ratio was 124%

Probably due to the general trend of people moving to the capital, and maybe some non CofI burials in CofI graveyards.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

There is a very useful site for burials in Kerry: http://www.kerrylaburials.ie/en/index.aspx.

I expect that similar records exist for other counties, and it is a pity that no other local authority (so far as I know) has undertaken a similar project to make them readily accessible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement