Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GSP Family Tree & Windows 7

• 09-11-2010 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Hi,

So my dad has spent a long time piecing together our family tree, and was using software called "GSP Family Tree" on an old XP computer.

He recently got a windows 7 machine, but the software can't run on it. Even in compatibility mode.

Is anyone familiar with this software? Is there any new programs that could read it's files, and work with windows 7?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

What you need to do is identify a suitable replacement (most of them should work with Windows 7) and then investigate export/import options.

Most likely you will be able to export a GEDCOM format file from the old system. Almost all applications should then be able to import that file and your father can pick up where he left off, but using the new application.

I use GRAMPS which I like a lot, but the install takes a few (well documented steps).

z

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭TheQ47

I agree with zagmund above, find one that does work. I use Legacy (the paid version) and find it very user-friendly, and it will certainly import a GEDCOM.

A quick search on Google finds that GSP is now part of avanquest, and the Family Tree software that they now advertise is Family Tree maker (FTM), which is made by Ancestry, so it appears they're not making their own Family tree software anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Right, thanks guys.

Two things to look at then: Exporting in GedCom, or importing .gft in new avanquest software.

I'll be out with him on the weekend, so I'll have a look-see then.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

One thing to consider is that GEDCOM is a standard and *I believe* some applications have extended the standard a little to add in their own bells and whistles.

The impact here is that when you export to GEDCOM you *may* lose some of those bells and whistles, but obviously the basics should all be there like DOB, marriage, relationships, etc . . . (because they're standard).

So, what I'm getting at here is that if your application has been developed into a newer product as TheQ47 says then that might be the best option to plump for as it is more likely to support any bells and whistles from the old one.

Of course if all you Dad has entered (just like me) is name, DOB, DOD, spouse, children and the occasional note then that should transfer via GEDCOM no problem.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭thirtythirty

Just wanted to update -

So it turned out that the .GFT was too old and proprietary to import into something new, and the Gedcom itself was also an old version unreadable by new programs :eek:

So my work-around was to download a v old copy of Family Tree Maker that could read the Gedcom (I know, I know. I'm not an advocator of software piracy, it was a last resort and I've deleted it now anyway), open it, re-export in the newer Gedcom & Family Tree Maker formats, have dad buy the new Family Tree (which also gives him access to ancestory.co.uk) , and I'm giving him the files tonight.

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with the new program. He'd traced our family back the 1600's through attic documents (some interesting past family members!) and we've a lot of detail, so ancestory.co.uk might be able to plump it out even further.

Thanks for the help anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with the new program. He'd traced our family back the 1600's through attic documents (some interesting past family members!) and we've a lot of detail, so ancestory.co.uk might be able to plump it out even further.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Do you have a lot of UK ancestry then? Ancestry.co.uk has little of use for Irish genealogy unfortunately but it's a fantastic resource.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement