Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Quiz marque 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,046 ✭✭✭✭looksee

feargale wrote: »
    I can only guess that it derives from explorer John Cabot. Would it have something to do with a ship's draught?

Apparently it is considered to be not anything to do with Cabot, it has a pretty clear origin in French, possibly originally with Spanish connections.

Its a word I came across a couple of times in the Brexit thread.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Cabot Cove? A ship with a murder and Jessica Fletcher on board?!? :eek:

Well the ship bit is related...

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

New Home wrote: »
    Cabot Cove? A ship with a murder and Jessica Fletcher on board?!? :eek:

Jessica with the typewriter in the hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Yes.

Cambodia? Bangladesh?

• Advertisement

Looks like no-one has the meaning of cabotage, so here it is, courtesy of google and wikipedia
    Cabotage is the transport of goods or passengers between two places in the same country by a transport operator from another country. It originally applied to shipping along coastal routes, port to port, but now applies to aviation, railways, and road transport as well.
    cabotage
    /ˈkabətɑːʒ,ˈkabətɪdʒ/
    noun
    noun: cabotage
    the right to operate sea, air, or other transport services within a particular territory.
    restriction of the operation of sea, air, or other transport services within or into a particular country to that country's own transport services.
    Origin

mid 19th century (in the sense ‘coastal trade’): from French, from caboter ‘sail along a coast’, perhaps from Spanish cabo ‘cape, headland’.

I'll throw in another question shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Cambodia? Bangladesh?

Bangladesh it is, followed by D.R.Congo, Myanmar, Angola, Nepal and Yemen. No Bangladeshi ever even qualified other than by wildcard until a golfer got to Rio 2016 on merit, thanks to the others who chickened out due to the sika virus.
    I don't believe there was even a Bangladeshi who won a medal with another country e.g. when It was East Pakistan the gold in hockey went to Pakistan in 1960 and 1968. But East Pakistan as part of Pakistan suffered discrimination at every level leading to their successful war of independence.
    Their Olympic ambitions suffer two drawbacks, extreme poverty and a fanaticism for non-Olympic cricket that rivals India's, to the exclusion of other sports.

I once met a Bangladeshi who told me he had no interest in cricket. I'm sure he saw me looking at him in the same way as I saw some Scots in a Glasgow pub looking at my Irish friend when he told them that he was a teetotaller.

Your question?

P.S. Re other answers:
    Mongolia (huge country, very small population) made its Olympic debut in 1964. Its athletes have won a total of 26 medals, all in Summer Olympics competitions, in freestyle wrestling, boxing, shooting, and judo
    North Korea debuted at the 1964 Winter Olympics and its athletes have won a total of 56 medals, mainly in wrestling, weightlifting, boxing and judo. Two medals were won at the Winter Games.
    Cambodia never won a medal but it ranks tenth in population (15 million) after the above plus Madagascar, Burkina Faso and Malawi.

Replacement question. A woman named Lizzie Magie invented, and in 1903 patented, a well known game, what was it?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,346 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Uno?

Your question?.

It was guesswork to be honest, but I’ll take it!

Of what is gephyrophobia a fear?

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Replacement question. A woman named Lizzie Magie invented, and in 1903 patented, a well known game, what was it?

Cluedo?

It was guesswork to be honest, but I’ll take it!

Of what is gephyrophobia a fear?

Bridges.

Uno - no

Cluedo - no

hint - its a little bit of a trick question, something you might be confident of may not be so.

Guess who? :pac:

Nope!

looksee wrote: »
    Nope!

Snakes and ladders?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,285 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My favourite board game as a kid had certainly been around a while by the '60s - Monopoly

Liked it so much I now own 4 properties......

Beasty wrote: »
    My favourite board game as a kid had certainly been around a while by the '60s - Monopoly

Liked it so much I now own 4 properties......

Was that an answer? Because you are right!

https://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/15/business/behind-monopoly-an-inventor-who-didnt-pass-go.html
    The tale, repeated for decades and often tucked into the game’s box along with the Community Chest and Chance cards, was that an unemployed man named Charles Darrow dreamed up Monopoly in the 1930s. He sold it and became a millionaire, his inventiveness saving him — and Parker Brothers, the beloved New England board game maker — from the brink of destruction.

The trouble is, that origin story isn’t exactly true.

It turns out that Monopoly’s origins begin not with Darrow 80 years ago, but decades before with a bold, progressive woman named Elizabeth Magie, who until recently has largely been lost to history, and in some cases deliberately written out of it.

Magie filed a legal claim for her Landlord’s Game in 1903, more than three decades before Parker Brothers began manufacturing Monopoly. She actually designed the game as a protest against the big monopolists of her time — people like Andrew Carnegie and John D. Rockefeller.

Bridges.

Correct

Correct

Still in "most populous" mode, and to avoid controversy, two questions (one mark for each.)

1. What is the most populous country which is never credited with a Nobel Prize win?

2. What is the most populous country which is not the birthplace of a Nobel laureate?

• Advertisement

Still in "most populous" mode, and to avoid controversy, two questions (one mark for each.)

1. What is the most populous country which is never credited with a Nobel Prize win?

2. What is the most populous country which is not the birthplace of a Nobel laureate?

Very quiet here again. Clue: for both, same part of the world as the Olympic question.

Very quiet here again. Clue: for both, same part of the world as the Olympic question.

I can only guess again I'm afraid. North Korea or Saudi Arabia?

Both for question 1.

I can only guess again I'm afraid. North Korea or Saudi Arabia?

Both for question 1.

Right continent. Wrong countries. Right countries have bigger population.

South Korea?

South Korea?

No. South East Asia. Please specify which question you are answering.

Question 1 - Vietnam?

(This was an original guess by something niggled that they have awards.)

Would anyone else care to guess with me? :D

Love to help IZ but I absolutely haven't a clue!

Question 1 - Vietnam?

Nope. Le Duc Tho shared peace with H. Kissinger 1973.

Country 2 shades it over Vietnam population-wise and No. 1 is much more populous.

Nope. Le Duc Tho shared peace with H. Kissinger 1973.

Country 2 shades it over Vietnam population-wise and No. 1 is much more populous.

This shouldn't be difficult now.

I'll give it 24 hours more and if no result I'll give the answers and post another.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile Beasty owes us a question, if he doesn't see this I will put up another one to keep things going.

Advertisement