Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to new cart platform, seo query

• 24-09-2020 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi im moving from woocommerce to shopify, no probs with rebuilding the site on there etc, however the urls will be different so im likely to lose my organic search gains, ok i could 301 all the urls but this seems a huge task given the amount of them involved, i guess my question is what is the best way to handle this?
    if i did nothing would google eventually figure it out and pass on previous rankings?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dylan765

200+ 301s it is then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Dylan765 wrote: »
    200+ 301s it is then :)

Definitely 301 redirect the URLs that are ranking/have external links pointing to them anyway. - Use Google Search Console & Google analytics to see the pages that are ranking/top trafficked pages and use SEMRush or some other software to see if any of the URLs have external links pointing to them.

I wouldn't waste my time 301'ing all URLs if they aren't ranking or haven't links pointing towards them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Have a look at Regex and see if you can manage the redirect in one or two lines. The old and new urls might have a commonality you can use for regex. I haven't looked at a shopify site in a good while so I cant tell you where to write the redirects

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

At least 301 your category pages.

Advertisement