Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ironman Cork 2020 cancelled

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

The answer is a couple of posts up... people seem to want the razzmatazz, when there is a uniquely Irish option in the various Hardman events for much less money.
    Don't enter the IM half, enter Hardman Bantry or Waterville... money saved can go on decent accommodation and a few jars after.

I would agree up to a point but even though it has been around for a few years now it only seems to have gained proper momentum as a bona fide contender to IM in the last year or so.

Haven't done one myself so cant comment on how good they are but hoping to do one next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

Chris871 wrote: »

My Birthdays the end of the month, if its not sold out I might have to treat myself.

Down to Tier 4 now!! Obviously and regardless of price, there is a big demand for the half in Cork. I did the full last year and have signed up for the half next year. What appeals to me is racing on Saturday and then on Sunday enjoying cheering the participants on in the full. Hopefully it will be a great weekend of racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

It’s great to see the demand for the race, good news for clubs and membership. I’d agree on the price, madness but each to their own! I’ve paid it myself a couple of times in the past, it is worth it for the big day out, closed roads, razzmatazz etc.
    Given the ongoing covid situation, is a gathering of 3000+ athletes plus support a runner in youghal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

griffin100 wrote: »
    €300 for a half IM is nuts. That’s €50 and hour for a 6hr finisher :)

Seriously, having two races back to back in a town that came to a standstill in the days leading up the one race last year smacks of desperation and a need to recover costs due to the 2020 cancellation.

Hardman and Ironman are not comparable in that they’re not really the same product, but the price premium charged by IM ain’t worth it imho, certainly for a race like Cork with the high risk of a cancelled swim.

Of course they are apples ( selling a great packeing)and oranges ( a great draft free product that never had a swim cancelled ) the good thing is you can get a good apple and a good orange in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭coL

Down to Tier 4 now!!

Is the 70.3 at tier 4 already?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

not paying 500 plus for an im distance entry anywhere,.. will be keeping an eye on hardman..

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Shell to Run

coL wrote: »
    Is the 70.3 at tier 4 already?

Yes. First three tiers were sold out after less than one day! The negative response to the event on social media would have lead you to believe that it was a non runner but apparently not. Reckon it will be sold out by the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Arsenium

woody1 wrote: »
    not paying 500 plus for an im distance entry anywhere,.. will be keeping an eye on hardman..

Yeah it's extortionate. I wonder if it's possible to buy Ironman vouchers? That could be my Christmas / birthday and next years Christmas present all wrapped up :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

peter kern wrote: »
    the good thing is you can get a good apple and a good orange in ireland.

That’s one of the best summations I’ve ever heard, Peter.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

griffin100 wrote: »

Seriously, having two races back to back in a town that came to a standstill in the days leading up the one race last year

My first thought was 'where are people supposed to stay'???

Insane decision but if it's at tier 4 already you can understand why they made it. Can't understand the attraction at all myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

My first thought was 'where are people supposed to stay'???

Insane decision but if it's at tier 4 already you can understand why they made it. Can't understand the attraction at all myself.

I got a deal on accommodation last year and was still very expensive. Limited resource and now more demand. Had been tempted to enter the full but won't now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

I like the idea and think it’s win win for both organisers and competitors. There was never any appetite to have a separate half and full in Ireland. Given the extortionate prices IM charge, not many want to compete in both events so this acts like a catch all event over the course of the weekend. Of course, most negativity seems to be coming from Dubs and those further afield having to travel to the bottom of the country...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

coL wrote: »
    I wasn't around for Challenge Galway, was it a mess?

Unmitigated organisational disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

IM 70.3 Cork - online entries sold out. So that's 6 days in total with stages 1-3 sold out in 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

I signed up. Tier 3 absolutely extortionate price, Id know the course like back of my (it actually passes my farm)
    Was going doing kenmare again but will go with this instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Nidot

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    I signed up. Tier 3 absolutely extortionate price, Id know the course like back of my (it actually passes my farm)
    Was going doing kenmare again but will go with this instead.

So will you have an unofficial water stop set up at the gates???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Nidot wrote: »
    So will you have an unofficial water stop set up at the gates???

I'm going to attach bell's to the cows as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭S_D

Re accom, I emailed 2 hotels in the centre of Youghal & got sorted. Most places havent even advertised there places yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭efwren

S_D wrote: »
    Re accom, I emailed 2 hotels in the centre of Youghal & got sorted. Most places havent even advertised there places yet.

Do you mind me asking where you contacted? I have been searching around for anywhere within 30 minutes of Youghal and have yet to get anywhere

Thanks

efwren wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking where you contacted? I have been searching around for anywhere within 30 minutes of Youghal and have yet to get anywhere

Thanks

Because most places have not gone live yet. Ring hotels and ask them, honestly, everyone I tried just said we havent released dates yet. I got into the Imperial but Its sold out now. But lots of places just havent started selling slots yet so dont be too disheartened

• Advertisement

Cork 2021 sold out now. Big weekend planned

Advertisement