Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vet Consultation Over Phone?

Options
  • 23-09-2020 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭

I noticed something small but strange with my dog last night. My instincts tell me it's nothing to worry about but a quick google said I should get it checked out.

Unfortunately at the moment I'm self-isolating. I received a negative covid test result this morning but because I still have a cough, I have to keep self isolating.

I contacted my vet to see if they would have a chat over the phone about it but they said that someone would have to bring her in. They aren't allowing people into the clinic at the moment, so she would be handed off to a vet nurse at the door. She is not fond of going to the vet, and I'd be worried to send her in on her own, without even being close by myself.

I'm at a loss on what to do. Does anyone know of a vet that will do a phone or video consultation? I want to make sure I'm not neglecting her care but also avoid putting her in a high-stress (for her) situation.

Thanks in advance if anyone has advice to offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

is there any vet around who will do a house call ? you could stay in another room ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭hayoc

Yes, lots of vets are doing this now.

If you weigh it up, its going to be stressful but short lived stress - the dog will be fine.

My cat HATES the vet (its the car journey that stresses her most) - but I still bring her for her check ups and vaccs etc - it IS stressful but it has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

dashoonage wrote: »
    is there any vet around who will do a house call ? you could stay in another room ?

Apparently only in emergencies where someone is isolating, or for end of life care.
    hayoc wrote: »
    Yes, lots of vets are doing this now.

If you weigh it up, its going to be stressful but short lived stress - the dog will be fine.

My cat HATES the vet (its the car journey that stresses her most) - but I still bring her for her check ups and vaccs etc - it IS stressful but it has to be done.

Oh I always bring my girl no matter how much she dislikes it! If I could take her and even wait outside, that would be something, but I'd have to get someone else to take her which is my issue. It's just funny timing.

If she was in any way sick, I'd ask someone to take her for me in a heartbeat but she's happy out: eating, drinking, playing, going for walks, sleeping normally. It's a minor thing I noticed and if I hadn't Googled it, I probably would have written it off as nothing. If I was well, I'd be bringing her down just for reassurance more than anything and it's why I was hoping to have a phone or video consultation with a vet.

Oh I always bring my girl no matter how much she dislikes it! If I could take her and even wait outside, that would be something, but I'd have to get someone else to take her which is my issue. It's just funny timing.

Yes, thats got to be an issue for a lot of people in these times.

All I can suggest is explaining the situation to them, that you havent anyone else to do it, you are self isolating yourself - and see can they suggest anything OR find a vet who will do a house call.

Youd probably be able to use a pet sitting service as a once off to get someone to come and bring her from your house to the vets - but thats another cost.

Yes, thats got to be an issue for a lot of people in these times.

All I can suggest is explaining the situation to them, that you havent anyone else to do it, you are self isolating yourself - and see can they suggest anything OR find a vet who will do a house call.

Youd probably be able to use a pet sitting service as a once off to get someone to come and bring her from your house to the vets - but thats another cost.

Ah I'd sell everything I own to look after her if it came to it.

I think you've given me a good idea! One of the pet sitters we've used in the past is a vet nurse, maybe I can ask her to come and have a look for me while I wait in another room. She may be able to let me know if a vets visit is needed and then I can plan for that if so.

• Advertisement

Ah I'd sell everything I own to look after her if it came to it.

I think you've given me a good idea! One of the pet sitters we've used in the past is a vet nurse, maybe I can ask her to come and have a look for me while I wait in another room. She may be able to let me know if a vets visit is needed and then I can plan for that if so.

Ive got a friend who is a vet nurse and she does that kind of thing for me rather than stress the little princess out if an actual vet visit isnt needed! She will at least come and make the assessment.

Glad to be of some use for you - hope you get it sorted.

Ive got a friend who is a vet nurse and she does that kind of thing for me rather than stress the little princess out if an actual vet visit isnt needed! She will at least come and make the assessment.

Glad to be of some use for you - hope you get it sorted.

Thanks so much for your advice, you're very kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My vets is doing video consults but they’re quite busy atm so you might have a wait for an appointment : https://www.caravetgroup.com/

A friend ended up recommending a vet that would do an online consultation for me. He totally put my mind at ease and said she will be fine, but if I noticed any other symptoms to arrange to get her seen.

Thanks so much to everyone who offered advice. I feel so much better about it all.

Advertisement