Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is coding classified as a modification?

• 20-09-2020 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Recently bought a new to me 520d and an obd Bluetooth dongle. I downloaded Bimmercode app and want to make some changes to lighting, mirrors etc. It also allows me to get Sports Automatic Transmission functionality. Are these classified as mods by insurance companies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Orderofchaos

Fitz II wrote: »
    Yes.

Elaborate a bit please. Are you speaking from experience or speculating?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Orderofchaos

For instance the passenger mirror tilts to 70 degrees when the car is put into reverse, changing the angle to 50 degrees allows me to see more clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Modify would be described adding a piece of hardware to a Car like a tuning box etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭mikeecho

If the car is modified from how it came from the factory line.. then yes, it's modified.

Whether or not the insurance company is bothered by such minor changes, is up to the individual insurance company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭walshtipp

Truckermal wrote: »
    Modify would be described adding a piece of hardware to a Car like a tuning box etc etc.

Doesn't have to be hardware. A remap would be counted as a modification for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

If you have changed the car in any way, so it no longer is as the manufacturer intended then you have modified it. Doesn't matter if its software, tires, suspension, body kit or anything else. You should inform your insurer.....most people dont but technically you should and it would invalidate your insurance if this modification somehow lead to a malfunction and you claimed on your insurance.

As I said most people dont bother making a big deal of this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Fitting an aftermarket stereo could be a material mod if it made the car more attractive to a potential thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Fitting an aftermarket stereo could be a material mod if it made the car more attractive to a potential thief.

Or if it caught fire... I've seen a few dodgy installs of head units and accompanying sub woofers, that ended up in flames.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

mikeecho wrote: »
    Or if it caught fire... I've seen a few dodgy installs of head units and accompanying sub woofers, that ended up in flames.

How were they dodgy? Exposed wires? Just curios really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

tcawley29 wrote: »
    How were they dodgy? Exposed wires? Just curios really

High resistance on connectors on power carrying cables. This results in more power being lost at those points, which brings up their temperature and introduces fire hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

grogi wrote: »
    High resistance on connectors on power carrying cables. This results inmore power being lost at those points, which brings up their temperature and introduces fire hazard.

Cool, good to know. Thanks

I suppose wherever possible use correct conversion leads.

If though one had to cut and solder (neatly) is that okay?

Advertisement