Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Students- what do you make of going back to college?

• 11-09-2020 10:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

After having changed courses and taking a year out, I'm well fed up and rearing to start college in a few weeks. However I really don't think it's a good idea to be sending young people from all over the country up to Covid hotspots- Dublin and Limerick for example. Also, many students will not just be travelling up and down once a week...most colleges will be in for only two or three days per week which means a mass of students travelling up and down daily. And don't get me started on the public transport side of things.
    At the minute I feel like I'm going to have to keep my distance from older family members, including my parents, if I'm to be travelling to Dublin multiple times a week. It makes no sense.
    In my opinion I think third level should be 100% online until the virus rates in the cities fall big time. Wondering if any students on here feel the same or what your opinions are.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Seshlord2020

My course will be four hours by public transport from where I live so I have to get accommodation. I'm not too worried as I plan to follow the covid guidelines. Would it be possible for you to get accommodation in Dublin if you are worried about passing the virus to vulnerable members in your family?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 coconnell44

My course will be four hours by public transport from where I live so I have to get accommodation. I'm not too worried as I plan to follow the covid guidelines. Would it be possible for you to get accommodation in Dublin if you are worried about passing the virus to vulnerable members in your family?

I just think that I shouldn't have to fork out the going rate for accomodation just so I can isolate myself from family. You have to get accomodation but I'm only 2hrs from Dublin so it's very possible for me to commute. If the powers that be expect students to be in full time accomodation and not commuting up and down then I'm afraid they're in rainbow land. It's madness for students to be going up to Dublin in the current situation and defies sense. That said I'm going to art college and I can't see how that could be 100% online.

If they're recommending that no Dubliners leave the city/county, then how is it ok for masses of people to come in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

I just think that I shouldn't have to fork out the going rate for accomodation just so I can isolate myself from family. You have to get accomodation but I'm only 2hrs from Dublin so it's very possible for me to commute. If the powers that be expect students to be in full time accomodation and not commuting up and down then I'm afraid they're in rainbow land. It's madness for students to be going up to Dublin in the current situation and defies sense. That said I'm going to art college and I can't see how that could be 100% online.

If they're recommending that no Dubliners leave the city/county, then how is it ok for masses of people to come in?

Well you can defer for a year or you can make the best of it and ask if you can do it online like last year for the the last 3 months of the last academic year. My advice is buckle down and prepare for it. The virus is only dangerous with weakened immune systems (over 70+s with two or more conditions) and young people with severely compromised immune systems.

The Universities themselves are unsure how to proceed, I would say buckle down and take advantage where others are hesitating. In your case, take a local PLC course, defer and wait until next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

After having changed courses and taking a year out, I'm well fed up and rearing to start college in a few weeks. However I really don't think it's a good idea to be sending young people from all over the country up to Covid hotspots- Dublin and Limerick for example. Also, many students will not just be travelling up and down once a week...most colleges will be in for only two or three days per week which means a mass of students travelling up and down daily. And don't get me started on the public transport side of things.
    At the minute I feel like I'm going to have to keep my distance from older family members, including my parents, if I'm to be travelling to Dublin multiple times a week. It makes no sense.
    In my opinion I think third level should be 100% online until the virus rates in the cities fall big time. Wondering if any students on here feel the same or what your opinions are.

Totally agree, the lecturers I've spoken to definitely want to keep it online but will probably have to go back to the classroom because of bureaucracy even though lectures are well able to be had online. Lecturers themselves tend not to be the youngest and they certainly don't want to be putting themselves in danger. Also with the reduced classroom hours, we'll have people living at home coming from all over and mixing with people living in student accommodation, it going to be a mess.

It's a ridiculous decision with cases as high as they are and they'll only rise with colleges and universities opening. We should be lowering the number then opening the universities, not opening them up at this crucial stage in the pandemic

Advertisement