Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car insurance for >15 year old cars

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

fin12 wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/motor-insurers-to-offer-rebates-to-customers-amid-coronavirus-pandemic-39154607.html

Anyone know anything about this, said motor insurers to offer rebates to customers.

My renewal quote is up a €100 last year, can I bring up the Coronavirus, why my insurance should be reduced?

I'm watching this with close interest myself, just paid my full years premium on Thursday. I'll gladly take some of it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Loading car insurance because of age is so annoying.

We have two Audi A4 estates in our house one is 2008 1.9tdi 115bhp and the other is 2014 2.0tdi 163bhp.

Myself and my wife are both in our 40's each with 20 years claims free driving on full licence. On each car we are both named as drivers with NCB protected.

Renewal fully comp for the 2014 is €470

Renewal fully comp for the 2008 is €833

Nearly double for less powerful , less valuable but equally well maintained older car. What a load of crap. Rant over.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I have a fine 05 skoda super 1.9 100bhp, was getting insured for around 800 on it for a couple years. Left it lapse for 1 year and now they want 2400+ for it, if anyone quotes at all
    25 years old, 5 years license 3 years ncb 2 years named driver.

put in quotes for 335i, audi s8, 7 series, anything random with a big engine and chill always says 938 euro fully comp. It's a sign i have to get rid of the superb and get something noice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

I have a fine 05 skoda super 1.9 100bhp, was getting insured for around 800 on it for a couple years. Left it lapse for 1 year and now they want 2400+ for it, if anyone quotes at all
    25 years old, 5 years license 3 years ncb 2 years named driver.

put in quotes for 335i, audi s8, 7 series, anything random with a big engine and chill always says 938 euro fully comp. It's a sign i have to get rid of the superb and get something noice

Ouch, no good now, but it's so important not to let a policy lapse on an older vehicle. Once you do, new business rules apply & these can be very different than when a policy was first taken out.
    I know I got stung this way when my policy was out by 2 months. I still had valid NCD but the new business rules applied to me taking out a new policy. As the car was no longer approved by the underwriter for new business, they refused cover.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Ouch, no good now, but it's so important not to let a policy lapse on an older vehicle. Once you do, new business rules apply & these can be very different than when a policy was first taken out.

yep but to be fair to me I tried to suspend the policy but they wouldn't allow it and wasn't sure when I'd need a car again. Also wasn't sure what I'd have to disclose to them about a different accident so just renewing wasn't an option.

Between a bit of a rock and a hard place now as total cost of ownership for everything is so much higher than keeping the known quantity that is my superb.

Did a few more hours of quotes yesterday and the highest was 3666.66 euro on the superb and that was with a discount

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

What's the best quote you got?

What's the best quote you got?

best quote is still I think 2400. So many of them won't even quote

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭A Law

NCB: 9+ years
    License: Full irish
    Car: 2000 BMW 318ci
    Cover: Comprehensive
    Additionals: NCP, Wife as named driver with 9+ no claims.
    Old Insurer: 123
    Price for last year: €384 TPFT
    Renewal: €438 TPFT
    New Policy: 123 for €500 fully comp and NCP. Played around with the online generator before I rang. Car value of €7000! and manually putting in my address instead of used my eircode was a €200 difference for the online quote as a new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,760 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

NCB: 10+ years (actually, 33 years - never had a car claim ever)
    License: Full Irish 32 years
    Car: 2006 Clio 1.2 Monaco
    Insurer: Chill.ie
    Quote: € 2500

I just checked the NCT on my car, to see how many miles I did in 12 months: 2,400 miles.

Somebody is pulling the Pi$$ at the pricing above.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    NCB: 10+ years (actually, 33 years - never had a car claim ever)
    License: Full Irish 32 years
    Car: 2006 Clio 1.2 Monaco
    Insurer: Chill.ie
    Quote: € 2500

I just checked the NCT on my car, to see how many miles I did in 12 months: 2,400 miles.

Somebody is pulling the Pi$$ at the pricing above.

My MIL has the exact same details as you other than she's female and it's a 07 Monaco. Her renewal with Aviva was less than 400 this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

NCB: 0 years
    License: Full Irish Licence 18 months
    Car: 2003 Toyota Corolla 1.4 petrol
    Cover: Fully Comprehensive
    Insurer: AXA
    Quote: €960 (renewal)

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

shocksy wrote: »
    NCB: 0 years
    License: Full Irish Licence 18 months
    Car: 2003 Toyota Corolla 1.4 petrol
    Cover: Fully Comprehensive
    Insurer: AXA
    Quote: €960 (renewal)

F*cking ridiculous :mad: how do you have nil NCB on a renewal premium!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭Miscreant

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    F*cking ridiculous :mad: how do you have nil NCB on a renewal premium!?

An open claim or a claim within the last insurance period which wiped out the "No claims bonus" perhaps? I think that is how they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭phester28

Car: 2000 BMW 318i

Chill Insurance
    Price for last year: €715 fully comp
    Renewal: €850

Only axa and ivernia (chill) are quoting old cars

phester28 wrote: »
    Car: 2000 BMW 318i

Chill Insurance
    Price for last year: €715 fully comp
    Renewal: €850

Only axa and ivernia (chill) are quoting old cars

Did you try 123?

New Policy: 123 for €500 fully comp and NCP. Played around with the online generator before I rang. Car value of €7000! and manually putting in my address instead of used my eircode was a €200 difference for the online quote as a new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭evosteo

Car: 2008 1.4 toyota auris
    Cover: TPFT
    Additionals: NCP, female partner as named driver with 9+ no claims.

Chill Insurance
    Price for last year: €730 TPFT
    Renewal: €815

Got the best quote from 123.ie €370.77 TPFT with break down assistance

Swiftly signed up for that.

123 not quoting for 98 cars. Well not my 318i

• Registered Users Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

123 not quoting for 98 cars. Well not my 318i
    Think 123 will quote cars up to 15 years, wont quote my 98 but will quote wife's 2008.

You mean not using Eircode and upping the value of the car decreased the quote by 200?? FYI my 1998 e36 BMW 318i is now only getting quotes from axa and chill and neither are cheap up from 700 last year to 850 now. No way to bring it down. Full clean NCB etc

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

You mean not using Eircode and upping the value of the car decreased the quote by 200?? FYI my 1998 e36 BMW 318i is now only getting quotes from axa and chill and neither are cheap up from 700 last year to 850 now. No way to bring it down. Full clean NCB etc

Not using eircode will nul quote as risk of address denotes part of the equation. It’s like telling the insurer u park in garage nightly instead of on roadside in risk tally.
    Just a heads up

• Advertisement

cplwhisper wrote: »
    Not using eircode will nul quote as risk of address denotes part of the equation. It’s like telling the insurer u park in garage nightly instead of on roadside in risk tally.
    Just a heads up

not true, his address is his address. there's no legal requirement to provide an eircode and if there was they would have asked for it

I ended up ringing cos I was renewing and it was a new customer quote. He wouldn't let me progress without my address. He said that I had to have a specific address. They would then be able to factor in traffic in the area etc. Makes sense I suppose. Still have it valued at 7 grand tho! Think it saved me 80€.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

I ended up ringing cos I was renewing and it was a new customer quote. He wouldn't let me progress without my address. He said that I had to have a specific address. They would then be able to factor in traffic in the area etc. Makes sense I suppose. Still have it valued at 7 grand tho! Think it saved me 80€.

As I mentioned above, I’m sure someone will voice is breaching gdpr but it’s a factor to prevent the insurer not taking on a bad risk area too but also stops the over charging for good risk area. Glad ya got sorted.
    I’ve worked in Ins since ‘99 so I’ve seen claims getting turned down for things so simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Just got renewal quote for my 1999 Toyota Corolla - from Allianz
    Comprehensive
    Bonus protection
    Driving other cars
    Breakdown assistance
    Windscreen cover
    €621

Would be lower if I had a current Taxsaver rail pass - have been working at home since March so that has expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Just got renewal quote for my 1999 Toyota Corolla - from Allianz
    Comprehensive
    Bonus protection
    Driving other cars
    Breakdown assistance
    Windscreen cover
    €621

Would be lower if I had a current Taxsaver rail pass - have been working at home since March so that has expired.

Try putting a 2nd fully licenced 25+ driver on it, should drop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Try putting a 2nd fully licenced 25+ driver on it, should drop.

My wife is already on it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 danielsuntaro

Triumph GT6 1976
    Daily driver
    Licence for 20 years.
    10 years of no claims.
    No points.

I'm from the UK and in the process of moving over to Ireland. I had the Triumph as my only car in the UK (named driver on wife's). I am now a named driver on my wife's car insurance here in Ireland.

I imported the car, thinking it's the right thing to do. Paid the VRT man, got Irish reg number and now can't find anyone to insure me. They all want me to be the primary driver on another car in Ireland (for classic car insurance), which is crazy, we don't need three cars, I just use my wife's car for any long distances. All I want is normal insurance on an old car, but they all seem to have a 20 year old car age limit, which is nonsense. I'll even take third-party at this point. I've tried Axa, First Ireland, Carole Nash, FBD, AIG, and countless others.

I thought sod it, I'll just export it back to the UK, keep my insurance on it there, a long as Brexit doesn't screw everything up, EU law states that I'll have unlimited third party in Ireland, which is good enough for me. The problem here is I don't get my Irish log book until I tax the car, and I can't tax the car without insurance, and I can't get insurance!!! But I really don't want to have to export it back, I'd much rather find insurance here in Ireland.

Any suggestions welcome.

Triumph GT6 1976
    Daily driver
    Licence for 20 years.
    10 years of no claims.
    No points.

I'm from the UK and in the process of moving over to Ireland. I had the Triumph as my only car in the UK (named driver on wife's). I am now a named driver on my wife's car insurance here in Ireland.

I imported the car, thinking it's the right thing to do. Paid the VRT man, got Irish reg number and now can't find anyone to insure me. They all want me to be the primary driver on another car in Ireland (for classic car insurance), which is crazy, we don't need three cars, I just use my wife's car for any long distances. All I want is normal insurance on an old car, but they all seem to have a 20 year old car age limit, which is nonsense. I'll even take third-party at this point. I've tried Axa, First Ireland, Carole Nash, FBD, AIG, and countless others.

I thought sod it, I'll just export it back to the UK, keep my insurance on it there, a long as Brexit doesn't screw everything up, EU law states that I'll have unlimited third party in Ireland, which is good enough for me. The problem here is I don't get my Irish log book until I tax the car, and I can't tax the car without insurance, and I can't get insurance!!!

Any suggestions welcome.

Not overly familiar with your situation but when you're taxing a car online you can put in any details when you get to the insurance section. I do it all the time but I'm renewing my tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Triumph GT6 1976
    Daily driver
    Licence for 20 years.
    10 years of no claims.
    No points.

I thought sod it, I'll just export it back to the UK, keep my insurance on it there, a long as Brexit doesn't screw everything up, EU law states that I'll have unlimited third party in Ireland, which is good enough for me. The problem here is I don't get my Irish log book until I tax the car, and I can't tax the car without insurance, and I can't get insurance!!! But I really don't want to have to export it back, I'd much rather find insurance here in Ireland.

Any suggestions welcome.

Welcome to Ireland and the nonsensical insurance rules in place.

You don't need to insure your vehicle to tax it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 danielsuntaro

On motortax.ie it asks for your insurance company, policy number and expiry date before letting you go to the payment page. As joefuss1986 suggested, I just put some random details in and it worked! Obviously some bright spark thought adding an extra step to make it harder to pay your taxes was a good idea.

Just need to find someone to insure me now. At least my log book should arrive in the post now.

Advertisement