Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mackeral 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Larsso30

flended12 wrote: »
    Plenty of Mack's caught off kilcoole beach south of greystones the other day.

Nice one might go up one of the evenings this week

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭gumbo1

I've a free day tomoro, anyone catching on east coast around Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Had some in Greystones today but very bad weed suspended after the stronger winds. I'd say Coliemore would be worth a crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

Caught 11 on Howth pier last Friday at high tide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

I have fished my usual spot (Annagh head) 3 times in the last month.
    One day I got 2 good mackerel and a pollack.
    The other two times nothing.
    It's shaping up same as the last 2 years, very few fish.
    8-10 years ago you could fill the freezer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,313 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Bar steward beside me, on the cliffs at Balscadden, pulled in about 20 medium to large ones today. I got zip!

That extra 10/15 feet on the cast made all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Caught 7 mackerel off Lions head in Howth this morning!

What bait?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinwing

any beaches in Wexford good for mackerel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My oul lad caught about 12 decent sized ones off the cliffs of the burren in Co. Clare Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CraigM84

there was plenty being caught off Kilkee cliffs in Clare yesterday, came home with about 36 after few hrs, there were plenty of others bring up 2,3,4,5 at a time too

did have good winds for the better part, wasnt too strong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

robinwing wrote: »
    plenty of mackerel and a good size around kilmore lately with the angling boats. Had a few dozen myself some day last week .
    ''The coombe'' west of carne but its a place you will loose gear . Rosstoonstown at tacumshane is also a good spot and rarely loose gear . should be easy to fish now as northerly winds will clear the weed. High tide in the evenings is best . haven't been speaking to anyone to hear if any are being got or not off the beach but they should be there in next couple of weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

vicwatson wrote: »
    What bait?

Just shamrock mackerel basher sabikis mate

robinwing wrote: »

Saw a few anglers on the beach at Furlongs Road near Kilmore yesterday evening. No idea if they were catching.

Picked up some small enough ones around Kilmore from the boat. They were very hard to get.

The previous day off Slade we got plenty of big ones in close to the rocks.

Macks numbers are getting fewer and fewer each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

TheTorment wrote: »
    Saw a few anglers on the beach at Furlongs Road near Kilmore yesterday evening. No idea if they were catching.

Picked up some small enough ones around Kilmore from the boat. They were very hard to get.

The previous day off Slade we got plenty of big ones in close to the rocks.

Macks numbers are getting fewer and fewer each year.
    Their a bit better this year than last couple of years.
    tried them myself yesterday , very patchy but nice fish .had a couple for dinner they're in good condition , very tasty . Heard the angling boats on the vhf yesterday saying they were plenty full east of ''the bridge'' . Friend of mine got a fish box full in half an hour yesterday evening just west of Forlorn point . Little f..kers you just can't tell where and when they'll decide to feed .

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

New to the fishing lads . What tides are best for pier fishing on east coast (Skerries & Howth ) ? am I right in saying that the high tide in the afternoon is not good . Want to bring the young lad down and try and get him interested in it .

TIA for any advice .

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Was out in clougherhead in the kayak on Saturday....not a thing! Think I'm done with that place!

Went around irelands eye yesterday evening and caught a few, bit patcy one or two a good size but others just mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Saw them swarming last night in achill at low tide. Have never seen fish in those numbers in ireland. All you had to do was lower feathers in and would take a few.

They also beached a few sprat which I took and ate tonight. Very tasty.

Has anyone ever eaten sprat out of the throat of the mackerel as there's usually one or two undigested there. Tempting as they're very tasty!

The worms you find in the flesh less tempting. I assume no health risk? It's annoying as I would like to eat some of it raw but probably should freeze it first to avoid them taking up residence in me?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭dublinbando

sharkman wrote: »
    New to the fishing lads . What tides are best for pier fishing on east coast (Skerries & Howth ) ? am I right in saying that the high tide in the afternoon is not good . Want to bring the young lad down and try and get him interested in it .

TIA for any advice .

Fish an hour before to an hour after high tide, any time of the day will do but it's best if you can get a high tide in the morning or evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CraigM84

Was back at the Kilkee cliffs in Clare there on Tuesday, got there about an hour before high tide and left an hour after the high point, came back with 31, some good sizes, some small too but ideal for bait for something bigger when the weather clears up

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭FMG

Anyone had a cast in Youghal the last few days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

FMG wrote: »
    Anyone had a cast in Youghal the last few days ?

Last Saturday. 6 every cast for an hour. Nice sizes too.

US2 wrote: »
    Last Saturday. 6 every cast for an hour. Nice sizes too.
    Grand job, was there Thursday but the water was filthy.
    Might get out tomorrow for a few hours.

FMG wrote: »
    Was the water dirty after the storm ?
    Might get down tomorrow eve for a few hours.

Now is the time they are everywhere. Probably the best year Mackeral in the last 5 or 6 .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭fourmations

US2 wrote: »
    Now is the time they are everywhere. Probably the best year Mackeral in the last 5 or 6 .

Any showing in Dun laoighaire?

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Anyone catching any from the shore in the Wexford area.

Cheers

There everywhere lads just go down at high tide and you'll catch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭mcbain087

None in Louth along the coast. Friends in Wexford are catching very few and small ones only, said it was still hit and miss.

mcbain087 wrote: »
    None in Louth along the coast. Friends in Wexford are catching very few and small ones only, said it was still hit and miss.

Wexford is full of them the last few weeks, full of them.

• Advertisement

Kinsale is doing well, had a few last night.

Advertisement