Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

LGBT movies/ TV Shows/ Characters

• 17-08-2020 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭

There was never a time when so many LGBT movies were made, when there were so many LGBT characters in TV shows.

Are there any current shows that stick out for whatever reason.

Will & Grace, I'm old enough to remember before Will & Grace.

I remember it being reported in the Irish Independent, just a little piece, that a show was being made in America that featured a gay lawyer.

I remember reading it with great interest. :D

I don't know that I 'got' Will & Grace the first time.
    The recent relaunch of the show was enjoyable.

I came across a 50 movies compilation on YouTube the other of gay subject movies from 2020/2021.
    Such a number was surprising to me.

Are there any recent movies, characters or shows that mean anything to you.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Andrew Van de Kamp

Not a fan of desperate housewives but I very distinctly remember the portrayal of Andrew, how he was unlike any gay character I had ever seen on TV at that time. No tokenism and he wasn't camp or there for comic relief. He was very confident in himself and his sexuality. I found it a very refreshing portrayal to be honest.

It freaked me out a bit that his mother literally abandoned him at the side of the road once his bad behavior got too much for her to handle (maybe some people saw it as him getting what he deserved but that scene made me really sad) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

I know there's many but I'd recommend Eastsiders on Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭SourSessions

Wynonna Earp has a gay male and female couple. The female couple are pretty much the central love pairing on the show, which is a nice divergence. The show runners really try to get it right with their representation, which is refreshing.

Back in the day, the Willow/Tara relationship on Buffy meant a lot to me. Still does tbh.

I always really liked Ian and Mickey on Shameless too (the US version)

Other characters that stand out to me are Rosa and Captain Holt from B99, Titus from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Brittany and Santana from Glee and Yorkie and Kelly from the Black Mirror episode 'San Junipero' for giving the gays a happy ending for once. Oh and Bill on Doctor Who was cool.

I'm more of TV watcher than movies, but I thought Love, Simon was great in it's portrayal of a gay character. Also Booksmart.

When I was a teen I watched D.E.B.S and Imagine Me And You on a loop because they felt like the only two gay-lady themed movies with a happy ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

My first exposure to a gay character that wasn't there purely for comic purposes was a guy in 80s US drama thirtysomething. It was a critically acclaimed show so portrayed being gay in a very sensitive manner. I remember it causing controversy as it was the first time American network TV aired scenes with 2 men in bed together.

I was about 12 at the time and it definitely made me start asking some internal questions about myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Wynonna Earp has a gay male and female couple. The female couple are pretty much the central love pairing on the show, which is a nice divergence. The show runners really try to get it right with their representation, which is refreshing.

Back in the day, the Willow/Tara relationship on Buffy meant a lot to me. Still does tbh.

I always really liked Ian and Mickey on Shameless too (the US version)

Other characters that stand out to me are Rosa and Captain Holt from B99, Titus from Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Brittany and Santana from Glee and Yorkie and Kelly from the Black Mirror episode 'San Junipero' for giving the gays a happy ending for once. Oh and Bill on Doctor Who was cool.

I'm more of TV watcher than movies, but I thought Love, Simon was great in it's portrayal of a gay character. Also Booksmart.

When I was a teen I watched D.E.B.S and Imagine Me And You on a loop because they felt like the only two gay-lady themed movies with a happy ending.
    The tv spin off from love Simon called Love Victor was quite sweet as well.

I love captain Holt...and Kevin oh and Cheddar!

Russell t davies always tends to have lots of interesting gay characters.
    Years and years
    Banana, cucumber etc

Obviously queer as folk back in the day.

There is a very funny one called the other two with a male gay lead.

Looking was excellent.

Obviously Schitts creek as well....the patrick and David relationship was lovely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Oh another one definitely worth a watch is "please like me".
    It won't be to everyones taste but I really liked it it's all on amazon prime

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Seamie_irl

God, the series 'Thirtysomething' was fantastic. I remember it well. Can't say it caused me to 'think', would that it had .... but then again, had it, I would have had a completely different life and missed out on some of the amazing experiences I've had.

Hunting Season is one HBO series I really liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Tango Foxtrot

Sense8. I imagine not everyone is into a beautifully made Sci-fi show with hot transgender and gay characters, but for me, it is everything I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Sense8. I imagine not everyone is into a beautifully made Sci-fi show with hot transgender and gay characters, but for me, it is everything I want.

What about BBC This Life. It was an absolutely fantastic series. It was a mixture of the storylines and the way it was filmed. I was the same age as the characters and at university at the time. I dont get nostalgic but when I saw a repeat I got so nostalgic it was unbelievable. There were gay characters in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    What about BBC This Life. It was an absolutely fantastic series. It was a mixture of the storylines and the way it was filmed. I was the same age as the characters and at university at the time. I dont get nostalgic but when I saw a repeat I got so nostalgic it was unbelievable. There were gay characters in it.

Brilliant series, my OH had never seen but I made him watch S1 when it was repeated last winter, he was hooked from the get go and tracked down S2 and 3. Great mix of gay characters all totally believable but Anna was always my favourite. I always thought of it as "Friends" for grown ups but so much better.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes, I would also give a huge thumbs up for This Life. Very well written, well casted show on the actual realities of life for twentysomethings trying to make their way in late 1990s London.

Warren was the gay character - complex and not a token/one-dimensional part and Ferdi was a bisexual motorcycle courier. I also loved Anna - very strong-minded and wilful young woman but also very fragile inside.

There were only two seasons of This Life made and a 10 year "reunion" episode. The fact that the producers didn't keep making more episodes is what has kept This Life so good IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Dating Amber was out earlier this year. Irish film, set in the early 90s.

I thought it was very good.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Yes, I would also give a huge thumbs up for This Life. Very well written, well casted show on the actual realities of life for twentysomethings trying to make their way in late 1990s London.

Warren was the gay character - complex and not a token/one-dimensional part and Ferdi was a bisexual motorcycle courier. I also loved Anna - very strong-minded and wilful young woman but also very fragile inside.

There were only two seasons of This Life made and a 10 year "reunion" episode. The fact that the producers didn't keep making more episodes is what has kept This Life so good IMO.

You're right there were just 2 series, I think S2 was much longer so it made me think there were 3. Better to go out on a high note and leave viewers wanting more than to go stale and have them reaching for their remotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Yyhhuuu

Seamai wrote: »
    Brilliant series, my OH had never seen but I made him watch S1 when it was repeated last winter, he was hooked from the get go and tracked down S2 and 3. Great mix of gay characters all totally believable but Anna was always my favourite. I always thought of it as "Friends" for grown ups but so much better.

I really fancied Myles at the time.
    Anna was my also my favourite character in BBCs This Life strong but vulnerable at the same time. I just loved her Scottish accent. She should have subsquently made a name for herself with her acting ability but didnt.I think the acting was excellent combined with the storylines and manner in which it was filmed. I was the same age as many of its characters and at University at the time but I felt profoundly nostalgic when I saw a repeat of it in RTE about 10 years ago. Did any other posters feel this way? Im not usually he nostalgic type at all.I dont think I'd be able to see it again for this reason. Its available to view on you tube. Highly recommended.

There was another film called aA beautiful thing which I thought was quite good at the time portraying a gay characters in London. I really liked the blonde woman who I think was one of the main characters mother.

(P.s. I just couldnt watch friends but everyone was talking about it at the time)

Yyhhuuu wrote: »
    I really fancied Myles at the time.
    Anna was my also my favourite character in BBCs This Life strong but vulnerable at the same time. I just loved her Scottish accent. She should have subsquently made a name for herself with her acting ability but didnt.I think the acting was excellent combined with the storylines and manner in which it was filmed. I was the same age as many of its characters and at University at the time but I felt profoundly nostalgic when I saw a repeat of it in RTE about 10 years ago. Did any other posters feel this way? Im not usually he nostalgic type at all.I dont think I'd be able to see it again for this reason. Its available to view on you tube. Highly recommended.

There was another film called aA beautiful thing which I thought was quite good at the time portraying a gay characters in London. I really liked the blonde woman who I think was one of the main characters mother.

(P.s. I just couldnt watch friends but everyone was talking about it at the time)

Beautiful Thing is one of my favourite gay films. I don't know that blonde actress's name but she plays Shirley in East Enders. As the mother she's a tough nut but fiercely protective of her son. That line from their friend "kids are cúnts" gets repeated a lot in my house.

I'm with you on Friends, way overrated.

I really liked the central character in "A Date for Mad Mary". We really shouldn't like her, she's done some truly awful things but yet I found myself rooting for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

The Heights is a new, (new to RTE & BBC) series that features a diverse cast.

It features a gay son of an Iranian family, along with a gay son of a Chinese family.

Whilst it has been lauded as being more representative of Australian society than Home & Away and Neighbours.

There are a lot of stereotypes attached to the minority ethnic characters including the aboriginal characters.

It is differently shot to the original Aussie soaps, more shaky hand cam type stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Would the Channel 4 show "Me and my Penis" count ?
    :)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

Rickie on My So-Called Life is my favourite LGBT character ever. Such a goundbreaking character for an early 90s teen drama.

greenspurs wrote: »
    Would the Channel 4 show "Me and my Penis" count ?
    :)

It was an interesting exploration I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,217 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

imme wrote: »
    It was an interesting exploration I thought.

Yes, I think it was...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

greenspurs wrote: »
    Yes, I think it was...

I think it was an interesting antidote to the sexualisation of the body.

Advertisement