Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dutch

• 11-01-2005 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Maybe there are some people interested in the Dutch language? Dutch is my mother language so If you would like to know something about it you can ask me and maybe I can help you. Maybe I can do some translations etc. for Irish people?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 34,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Maybe not :D

Actually, I have some formulieren for the belastingdienst that need invullen. I'll buy you a vaasje if you do them for me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Hoi Sander, I did a Dutch beginners class awhile ago as we were hoping to move to Flanders last year, didn't happen yet but would love to practise a little dutch with someone! I like the language a lot, it seems very sweet! So any useful phrases or learning tips you could give me would be great... dank jij wel!

micamaca :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Sander wrote:
    Maybe there are some people interested in the Dutch language? Dutch is my mother language so If you would like to know something about it you can ask me and maybe I can help you. Maybe I can do some translations etc. for Irish people?
    My father is dutch and is from just outside Den Haag.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Micamaca wrote:
    dank je wel!

Corrected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭MissS

I'm dutch! :o Well half and half really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Sander

Micamaca: nice to read you're interested. If you want to I can learn you some words etc. but I guess there are better ways to do it than by this forum. If you want to, you can sens me I private message.

pickarooney: nou ik heb ze zelf ook door iemand anders in laten vullen en moest ongeveer 360 euro terugbetalen dus misschien kun je het toch beter zelf doen :) ik zie trouwens dat je een goeie 12 kilometer van me af woont.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Lived in Holland from the ages of 2-4, never did pick up much Dutch because they insisted on speaking perfect English to me.

Whats the deal with Dutch people sounding American when they speak English?

Sangre: the correct name of the country I live in is the Netherlands, not Holland like a lot of people use :) .

Maybe it's true that Dutch people sounds American when they speak English, I guess that's because a lot of tv programs are in American English and so the people hear American English all the time when they watch television. They copy it from tv. Some people told me that I sound a bit like an American the last time I was in England (4 days ago).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Then why do dutch people support the "hollandse ploeg"?

Hup Holland Hup

and all that

SeaSide:

that's because there are also a lot of people who don't know the difference or don't have problems with it. And "Holland" is easier to sing than "the Netherlands". But it's not a big issue or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,148 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Pffft, whatever. Tomato, tomato. Doesn't really work in text format but you get the idea. ( I call it Holland because most other people do..its easier)

I'm convinced I have this American twinge in my accent because I learnt most of my English in the 'Netherlands' despite being only there two years and for the rest of my years in Ireland with Irish parents. Its not a really noticeable difference but mostly people from the North will enquire about my American heritage.

Its not that Dutch people are mistaken for Americans its just that certain words, pitchs and nasal stresses closely resemble american dialects...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭SeaSide

Sander wrote:
    SeaSide:

that's because there are also a lot of people who don't know the difference or don't have problems with it. And "Holland" is easier to sing than "the Netherlands". But it's not a big issue or something.

Yeah but you brought it up not me

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Beno

Hey all!
    Im dutch, hence the name, lived in Ireland 16years (im 19), picked up language from parents, really grateful for that , im a native speaker even thought ive never lived there, its great!
    dutch is hard to learn though! i have trouble writing it.........
    missS u livin near limerick by ne chance?

Hup Holland!

ooops, on brothers profile, Im dutchboy, really!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dutchboy

there we go, thats better :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭MissS

No I don't live near Limerick actually, I live in Utrecht ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 erceefce

i'm Dutch :D :cool:

I live in Antwerp, Belgium.

Somebody a Belgian beer ? :D

Sander wrote:
    pickarooney: nou ik heb ze zelf ook door iemand anders in laten vullen en moest ongeveer 360 euro terugbetalen dus misschien kun je het toch beter zelf doen :) ik zie trouwens dat je een goeie 12 kilometer van me af woont.

Ik heb het eindelijk afgemaakt, maar wat een ramp - maandenlang formulieren invullen, e-mails schrijven, bellen (niemand neemt op, natuurlijk) en wachten en waarvoor? Ik moest tegelijkertijd geld krijgen én terugbetalen met als resultaat dat ik nu een enorm elf euro rijker ben!

Twaalf km in welke richting?

Late reactie van me... al een tijdje niet op dit forum geweest.

12 km richting Tilburg zeg maar. Ik woon in Oirschot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

I hope to be moving to Amsterdam within the next 6 months and will need to learn Dutch. Can we have a word a day? or sentence of the week?

That would be great. A sentence (also spelt phonetically) and explained. Oh please! You would have to use the sentence in a normal daily conversation. Or the word. I'd really appriciate that actually. Anyone up for learning Dutch? :D anyone up for teaching Dutch?

KlodaX:

What sort of things do you want to learn?

One advice if you really want to learn Dutch in the Netherlands: most people in the Netherlands (most young people) do speak some English and most people try to speak it. If they hear that your language is English the first thing that most people do is speaking English to you and conversate in English. Try to avoid it if possible because I think that I would be very hard to learn the language if everybody talks in English to you. I know some English guys over here and they don't speak Dutch because the don't really need it. Just an advice. I will give you some more information if you want to. You also can send my a private message.

• Advertisement

Dank U Wel :D

can todays word be Mooi? pronounced 'My' meaning Pretty.

Klein - small .... pronounced Clean.

Mooi is pronounced more like 'mow-ee' and klein is pronounced like Calvin (Klein) or Patsy (Cline).

Ik heet KlodaX en ik kom uit Ierland - My name is KlodaX and I come from Ireland
    (ick hate KlodaX enn ick com out* Earland)

*very hard to transliterate this, but it's pretty close to the Belfast pronunciation of "out".

Yeah, that's closer to it. "Moy".

KlodaX sounds too close to "klootzak", which... trust me... is not a good thing.

Mooi is pronounced more like 'mow-ee' and klein is pronounced like Calvin (Klein) or Patsy (Cline).

Ik heet KlodaX en ik kom uit Ierland - My name is KlodaX and I come from Ireland
    (ick hate KlodaX enn ick com out* Earland)

*very hard to transliterate this, but it's pretty close to the Belfast pronunciation of "out".

Thats cool, cheers. I don't think I'm going to be able to learn Dutch from reading it online. :(

klootzak :eek: I'll never look at my name in the same way again

Yeah I'd never noticed it before until I saw it in a Dutch sentence. It's eerie, now it's all I can think about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 erceefce

KlodaX wrote:
    klootzak :eek:
    The most important word :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Het is leukt te horen dat zo veel mensen het nederlands spreekt. I heb in Amsterdam voor twee jaren gewoont en kon wat nederlands leren.
    Als je echt will, kan je heel makkelike het taal leren. Je moet gewoon geen tv in het engels kijken maar in het nederlands, het krantje lezen in het nederlands en enn bookje kopen om wat taalregels lerent te kenen.
    I ga binnenkort naar A'dam met vakantie om het taal te oefeningen and lekker turkse pizza te eten.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Ek wonder hoeveel mense sal hierdie klompie woorde verstaan ek kan raai van waar af kom ek oorspronlik.

:-)

Advertisement