Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Retro collecting. Should I get a PS1 fat or slim?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

where do you get your discs resurfaced?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

where do you get your discs resurfaced?

A few places will do it. Smyths do, I don't think Gamestop do anymore. PC World might. There's also a gel you can buy and do it yourself if you want. (though I haven't done that myself so I'm not sure how good it is)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Apparently Smyths and CEX. Gamestop won't do it. Better to get it done professionally, the DIY kits are kind of useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

Not sure if I can say the shop and price online, so PM sent.

I have no idea about CEX, as iv'e never bought a console there, but if you're getting a PS2 Slim, be careful because (and I learned this the hard way) Sony updated some models of their slims not to recognize any 3rd party PS2 memory cards. Unfortunatly, this lock was so good that it blocks many of Sony's own official PS1 memory cards, effectively removing any practical way to play PS1 games (unless you want to cruise through Metal Gear Solid in a single sitting and hope you don't die even once!) From what iv'e read online, some PS1 cards will work on them, but it's pot luck which ones. I think there's a list online for which models are affected.

Iv'e gotten plenty of stuff on Adverts. only once was i let down when a copy of FF7 i bought was scratched to s**t, but otherwise it's been grand. Actually, that reminds me, i must bring that game in to get re-surfaced.

I checked out a few Dublin city centre places at lunch time today and I am happy with the pricing and availability of PS2 consoles and games. I should be able to get about 80% of the games that I want for less than €10 each and many less than €5. CEX on Liffey St. has an ok selection and R.A.G.E has a 3 for €15 offer. There are a ton of medicore titles that I want for the series (LOTR, Star Wars, Avatar TLA etc.) that I can pick up for peanuts.

Surprised by the pricing of some PS1 games! Although obviously the JRPG games are all pricey.

I asked about the memory card thing and they weren't sure but they said they had PS one original memory cards in stock anyway. I still have fully functioning PS1 fat at home with a memory card so hopefully that will do. Googling it I gather 90s sony memory cards are fine but that later ones aren't.

Your lucky that you still have your FFVII, gave it to a friend and have never got it back. He denies having it but then I have a couple of his things that I am holding hostage that will accumulate value :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,795 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You'll be better off looking online rather than going to RAGE. I find a lot of their games in bad condition which isn't great for disc based games. That and they are quite pricey. Maybe check out retropolis and super Hoshi whoc are more reasonable and have stock in better condition.

I'd be very particular about the condition of my disc based games because unlike carts they aren't near invincible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Guyanachronism

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You'll be better off looking online rather than going to RAGE. I find a lot of their games in bad condition which isn't great for disc based games. That and they are quite pricey. Maybe check out retropolis and super Hoshi whoc are more reasonable and have stock in better condition.

I'd be very particular about the condition of my disc based games because unlike carts they aren't near invincible.

Thanks for that, I didn't know about the other two places, I will check them out. Have you any experience of R.A.G.E for consoles?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Super Hoshi has some great examples of Japanese games for most retro formats, and they are located on Abbey street in Dublin.
    Retropolis have a store on the southside, both shops have a Facebook presence so worth checking then out.
    They are smaller shops and need our support.

Thanks for that, I didn't know about the other two places, I will check them out. Have you any experience of R.A.G.E for consoles?

Nope but you have to be very careful of what ps1 or 2 you get because early models are disasters for disc drive failures and I wouldn't really trust rage to check them properly. They would let you look at the serial numbers so you can get a late model. They are usually overpriced for consoles but their ps1's are an exception and quite cheap.

You shouldn't spend much on a console my advice is to ask friends and family if they might have one in the attic. You usually can get one for next to nothing with a heap of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flaregon

ps2 slim or a ps3 (both will play ps1) 60gb ps3 will play the ps1-2-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I agree here. Iv'e gotten 5 games off of them and one is faulty. there's a few little scratches on it and one big(ish) one that can be seen from the top if you look closely enough. (another game I have to get re-surfaced. Christ, I think it's like 6 discs altogether!)

• Advertisement
Advertisement