Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro Game Collecting Documentary

• 11-03-2013 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

You might remember me posting here a bit a couple of years ago. I stopped collecting games and sold most of them off (reluctantly) to pay for college, hence the lack of posts.

I'm pretty sure I'll end up buying everything back in the future, but for now I want to live vicariously through making a documentary about collecting retro games while I'm too broke to buy them!

The plan is to make a 5-10 minute doc about how people get into retro collecting, what the appeal is, how big their collection is and how long it took to build up. It'll be based around interviews, with the collections making up a lot of the visual content. It's a personal project I've been thinking of doing for ages, and it'll be going up online and maybe off to a film festival or two if it turns out well - it's not for tv broadcast.

I'm looking for two or three people who'd be willing to sit down for 10-15 minutes for an interview, and show me their collection as well. I'm based in Dublin, so that would be handiest, but would be willing to travel. Shoot me a pm if you're interested and I'm happy to answer any questions here or via pm too.

PS - I have mod permission to post!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I finished this last week, have a gander if you're interested...

(Sorry if it's already been posted by one of the lads in it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

That was really, really well done. Hat tipped to all involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

This is incredibly good. Well done guys, really really impressed. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Brilliant stuff that was great!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,771 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Everyone bow under my amazing ability to not speak English properly and not string a sentence together!

Thanks for the opportunity James! Although I still think I come across as a bit of a plonker :O

(My arcade machine is fixed and all btw)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,846 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Really enjoyed that and even got a mention of sorts :)
    I wish it was longer, which is a good thing and a credit to all involved.

How great would it be to see something like this following someone getting a candy or something else cool from start to finish(mixed in with interviews etc like the above vid)? Next project?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Enjoyable watch, it was very well produced and felt very slick.

Good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Very well done !!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Just watched it, very well made landsleaving great job.

Fair play to the trio willing to get in front of the camera too.

Did you not get footage of a beers at Dinorex's or was it too dodgy to publish? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Legend of Dragoon had to get a mention :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You should throw it up on the main games forum as well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

That was brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,525 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Did I see someone blow into a nes cart? For shame.

By the way, really enjoyed that.

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Just watched it, very well made landsleaving great job.

Fair play to the trio willing to get in front of the camera too.

Did you not get footage of a beers at Dinorex's or was it too dodgy to publish? :)

Was away working when the last one was on... so it's maybe slightly staged... in my front room.
    The beers are real though!
    Steve SI wrote: »
    Really enjoyed that and even got a mention of sorts :)
    I wish it was longer, which is a good thing and a credit to all involved.

How great would it be to see something like this following someone getting a candy or something else cool from start to finish(mixed in with interviews etc like the above vid)? Next project?

Would love to do one like that actually, especially if it's one that needs some work done. I'll keep it in mind.

Cheers everyone for watching it, glad you liked it.

I still can't believe Jack Burton isn't actually Jack Burton

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Great job to all, names to faces !
    And you are all right, you could be pissing it up against a wall instead.
    Ed

Late notice I know but this is screening along with a few other short films at the Lighthouse Cinema tonight at 9 if any of you fancied popping in

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Late notice I know but this is screening along with a few other short films at the Lighthouse Cinema tonight at 9 if any of you fancied popping in

Fair play! Bit late for myself but all the best. Would love to see more, it was really well put together.

Shockingly handsome cast too :D

Retr0 on the big screen....mother of god :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Myrddin wrote: »
    Retr0 on the big screen....mother of god :D

Yeah, don't be inflating his ego anymore, could be dangerous!

I won't be making it myself, but hopefully it goes down well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,691 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm a star!

Congrats on getting it shown in a cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,930 ✭✭✭Doge

This was great lads, well done!

I missed it during my break from the A&R forum!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Congrats on the big screen showing.
    Not sure making these guys famous is smart though.
    It's hard enough clearing the dead hookers out of Atavans gaf as it is, Sera would become the retro equivalent of Liz Taylor, Retr0 just a coked out loser, so no change there, O1s1n would end up a megastar with a house built of gold and with a floor of Ponys and Cutes, Sparks would rebel and form his own production company that makes documentaries exclusively about Repton. Steve would proceed to buy two of simply everything, STG would be found in a heap in his Darius theatre, having overdosed, Bandit would be hanging out with supergun junkies and stop returning calls, Andrew will buy a truck load of PS4s and burn them in front of the Playstation forums Xmas beers and as for the artist formerly known as Enternow, no one knows... he'll simply fade into the background, like the Chesure Cat, only his smile showing with the knowledge of a job done.
    Or not.

This is probably the most recognition I've gotten for anything while my clothes were kept on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭STG.Otaku

Fair play lads, caught this last night. It was really well done. Great to see your stuff too. :)

I must actually take a few pictures of my room since...it has grown since!

Just watched this again there, it's brilliantly done :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

lol..dammit missed seeing m'self on the big screen :)
    well done landsleaving (and retr0 and JB)

This is probably the most recognition I've gotten for anything while my clothes were kept on

Someone there came up to me and said he knew you. You're a proper movie star.

If it's on anywhere else I'll try and give a bit more notice about it!

• Advertisement

Someone there came up to me and said he knew you. You're a proper movie star.

If it's on anywhere else I'll try and give a bit more notice about it!

WTF! Was it someone with a creepy moustache? In that case I know who it was....

*Edit* Turns out it wasnt him....Now I dont know what to think

Advertisement