Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can anyone help?

Options
  • 17-11-2011 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

In the attached surface weather chart there is a dashed line just to the east of the warm front that is over Russia with the number 528 connected to it. There are a couple of similar lines on the chart numbered 546 and 564. Has anyone any idea what they are?

20111118PPVG89V1200_large_0.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Lustrum

Sorry that image doesn't seem to have worked, here's the link

http://www.avbrief.co.uk/chartsfree/meto/20111118PPVG89V1200_large_0.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭pauldry

No ideas mate.

Jetstream tracker ? The one near Ireland seems to correspond with the Jetstream around our parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

They're the 500-1000 hPa thickness lines, showing the distance between the two pressure levels, in decameters (dm). 528 dm = 5280 m. The smaller the number the colder the airmass. If we get around 528 or lower then we can get snow.

Su Campu wrote: »
    They're the 500-1000 hPa thickness lines, showing the distance between the two pressure levels, in decameters (dm). 528 dm = 5280 m. The smaller the number the colder the airmass. If we get around 528 or lower then we can get snow.

Thanks for that Su Campu. Now just to make sure I understand this properly, is it using 1000hpa as the reference pressure and it is 5280m vertically up to the 500hpa level?

Using an ISA atmosphere this distance should only be 4000m which would suggest that the airmass is quite a bit warmer than standard. Or is this completely unconnected?

Also do you have a name for which type of isopleth it might be? At the moment the best I can do is a thickness line

Lustrum wrote: »
    Thanks for that Su Campu. Now just to make sure I understand this properly, is it using 1000hpa as the reference pressure and it is 5280m vertically up to the 500hpa level?

Using an ISA atmosphere this distance should only be 4000m which would suggest that the airmass is quite a bit warmer than standard. Or is this completely unconnected?

Also do you have a name for which type of isopleth it might be? At the moment the best I can do is a thickness line

Correct, it's the 500 hPa height minus the 1000 hPa height.

The standard thickness is actually 552 dm (5.52 km), varying from around 470 to 600. Not sure where you got 400.

I can't for the life of me remember the name of the isopleth but I'll have a look in my book later!

EDIT: The AMS Glossary calls it a relative isohypse (isohypse is a line joining points of equal geopotential).

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Su Campu, much obliged. And I've just copped on to the bu-bu I made to get 4000m (taking a 1 hpa decrease every 8m, but of course as you get higher that distance gets larger whereas I just multiplied the 500hpa difference by 8)

Thanks again

Had a look at the text book and the only name I can find for the thickness isolpleth is either relative isohypse or simply thickness contour.

Incidentally, there's a list of 23 other isopleths and their definitions.....see how many you can get! :)

Isallobabar
    Isallohypse
    Isallotherm
    Isanabat
    Isanomal
    Isentrope
    Isobar
    Isobath
    Isobathytherm
    Isoceraunic
    Isochrone
    Isodop
    Isodrosotherm
    Isogon
    Isohel
    Isohume
    Isohyet
    Isohypse
    Isoneph
    Isopycnic
    Isoshear
    Isotach
    Isotherm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Isopycnic

I like that one!

Without google!
    Had a look at the text book and the only name I can find for the thickness isolpleth is either relative isohypse or simply thickness contour.

Incidentally, there's a list of 23 other isopleths and their definitions.....see how many you can get! :)

Isallobabar
    Isallohypse
    Isallotherm
    Isanabat
    Isanomal
    Isentrope
    Isobar - Pressure
    Isobath
    Isobathytherm
    Isoceraunic
    Isochrone
    Isodop
    Isodrosotherm
    Isogon - Variation
    Isohel
    Isohume - humidity? (or an obvious mistake!)
    Isohyet
    Isohypse - height
    Isoneph
    Isopycnic
    Isoshear change of wind speed/direction?
    Isotach - windspeed
    Isotherm - temperature

I'll have to ask my friend the internet for the rest. Great info though thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭derekon

Lustrum wrote: »
    In the attached surface weather chart there is a dashed line just to the east of the warm front that is over Russia with the number 528 connected to it. There are a couple of similar lines on the chart numbered 546 and 564. Has anyone any idea what they are?

20111118PPVG89V1200_large_0.pdf

Hi Lustrum, to illustrate Su Campu's points , take a look at the temperature charts for this time last year for Monday 20th December 2010.

There was very heavy snowfall that day on the East Coast of Ireland - you will also note from the map that the "528" line was well south of the island, thus ensuring that any precipitation that fell that day fell in the form of snow. And Dublin got HAMMERED! :D:D:D

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/archives/archives.php?day=20&month=12&hour=12&year=2010&map=3&mode=2

• Advertisement
Advertisement