Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3D Games Grafton Street closed down??

• 10-10-2011 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi all - Sorry if this has been covered already, but I was passing there today about 10:00am and it had its shutters down?

Anyone shed some light? I hope not, though it was/is horrifically overpriced.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

There's no way that place could stay open where it was. I'd be more suprised if it hadn't closed down to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Mr Vengeance

I wouldn't be surprised to be honest - he didn't really have anything to differentiate himself from the competition.

The one time I was in I noted that all his games were "gutted". Buying new games that have been opened really irks a lot of gamers as they can end up scrated in the drawer (see this month's games tm magazine' American columnist for example). If he had of sold factory sealed games that might have helped him do something to attract in gamers for example.

The name of the shop was also rather unimaginative too. There didn't seem to be much effort put into the shop at all. I really wasn't impressed but if he is closed its sad for the man in question. However, I get the impression the business wasn't thought out too well. Perhaps the shop was only set up to trade on a short term basis?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,692 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's a shame but a place like that just can't compete. Gamestop, HMV and Game are big enough that when they want to clear stock they lower the price to silly prices and the publisher takes the hit. I very much doubt that a publisher would do the same for a small independent. They were never going to match on price because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,275 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm pretty sure that was an American franchise and not an independant store. It's probably the only reason it was able to stay open so long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

I'm surprised RAGE is still open. Then I discovered these lads were the brains of the business.

Trading-Places-p10.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Lovelyguy

Haha - is that "DA" Rage of Fade Street? Even more of a rip off!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,026 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I still don't get this Da Rage is a rip-off business. Sure, you might pay a euro or two (basically the shipping costs) more than your average ebay auction, but you have various added benefits. You can inspect the package, find a random impulse buy, enjoy the fine art of browsing...

It's a small shop, run by a couple of guys trying to do something difference. I'm cool with that.

3D Games, though, is crazy expensive bar the occasional (very occasional) bargain. Good selection of slightly obscure titles, but that bit too high. I did hear that the franchise owners were pumping a lot into it as a flagship Irish store, but I don't get why given that it's a vastly overpriced store in a city full of much cheaper alternatives (one less than twenty seconds walk away). Good intentions, perhaps suitable for a quieter area.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Lovelyguy

I still don't get this Da Rage is a rip-off business. Sure, you might pay a euro or two (basically the shipping costs) more than your average ebay auction, but you have various added benefits. You can inspect the package, find a random impulse buy, enjoy the fine art of browsing...

Fair point ,and I wish them well but to me, Links Awakening for the Snes with no map and box very damaged for €50 is a disgrace.

It's a small shop, run by a couple of guys trying to do something difference. I'm cool with that.

As am I. Fair play to them for taking a chance with a niche business and running with it. But even still... when collecting anything be it video games of old copies of Newsweek, it's difficult to pay retail prices.

A small markup is grand. A markup based on no knowledge of what your selling that would bail Ireland out of recession though is bordering ridiculous. I guess this is what may have happened with 3D Games (if these rumours of closure reveal themselves as truth). RAGE would do well to take notice...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,026 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Lovelyguy wrote: »
    Fair point ,and I wish them well but to me, Links Awakening for the Snes with no map and box very damaged for €50 is a disgrace.

I have seen the odd overpriced item, but they tend to be fair. I'd say the overpriced ones are an exception rather than the rule. The only significantly expensive ones I've personally seen - Death and Return of Superman, Conkers, Mega Man - are ones that are actually worth the price they're charging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭paperwork

I hold 3Dgames personally responcible for the fact that I don't currently own Starfox64 3D. :mad:
    My boyfriend went in to get me a 3DS game for my birthday, all the guy behind the counter did was go on a mad rant about what a **** console it is, and how there are no, and will be no good games for it... :mad:

paperwork wrote: »
    all the guy behind the counter did was go on a mad rant about what a **** console it is, and how there are no, and will be no good games for it... :mad:

I dunno, the guy might have a valid point. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,692 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pyongyang wrote: »

Devil Survivor Overclock.... not currently available in europe though :P

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Devil Survivor Overclock.... not currently available in europe though :P

Is that the game where you use the camera on the 3DS to take photos of your gaf and it shows if your house is haunted or not? I forget the name of the 'game' now... is it that one?

... but Starfox!? So there was A game!

Is that the game where you use the camera on the 3DS to take photos of your gaf and it shows if your house is haunted or not? I forget the name of the 'game' now... is it that one?

No. Devil Survivor unironically rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's a shame but a place like that just can't compete. Gamestop, HMV and Game are big enough that when they want to clear stock they lower the price to silly prices and the publisher takes the hit. I very much doubt that a publisher would do the same for a small independent. They were never going to match on price because of this.
    The publisher never takes a hit on the games the store has already bought.
    "Opportunity cost" (I am learning knowledge similar in uni, too :))

Hmm, read on eurogamer that the publisher takes a hit. Will have to look it up again

Edit: Kind of doesn't make much snese though, and can't find anything on eurogamer. Maybe it was on a forum.

Hmm I wonder what game I'm thinking of then? Odd. It was definitely for 3DS...

Are you sure? I think I could be a Kinect game.

• Advertisement

paperwork wrote: »
    Are you sure? I think I could be a Kinect game.

Nope. Definitely 3DS. Japan only though as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

Since I'd probably end up turning the 3d off, I'm happy enough playing my DS version of Devil Survivor on my DS/3DS. Fantastic game

On the subject of the RAGE, they're not forcing you to buy Zelda for 50e or anything, and I tend to find something I want for a reasonable price almost every time I go in. I'm developing a soft spot for 3D games too, for at least trying to bring in some unusual titles, and not just the chart titles like other retailers. Plus they had a decent selection of GBA titles if you ask at the counter, at least they did until I bought up a bunch recently

While on the subject, there's a retro games store in florida that I went to a couple of years ago, and still follow them on facebook. They're currently selling a boxed run-of-the-mill NES for $500. Best of luck to them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

ghostchant wrote: »
    Since I'd probably end up turning the 3d off, I'm happy enough playing my DS version of Devil Survivor on my DS/3DS. Fantastic game

On the subject of the RAGE, they're not forcing you to buy Zelda for 50e or anything, and I tend to find something I want for a reasonable price almost every time I go in. I'm developing a soft spot for 3D games too, for at least trying to bring in some unusual titles, and not just the chart titles like other retailers. Plus they had a decent selection of GBA titles if you ask at the counter, at least they did until I bought up a bunch recently

While on the subject, there's a retro games store in florida that I went to a couple of years ago, and still follow them on facebook. They're currently selling a boxed run-of-the-mill NES for $500. Best of luck to them.
    is it a 001 ?;)
    I'm going to support rage with my custiom as much as I can , but I've noticed the average price creeping up by a euro or two.The average SMS game is about 7 now , where as it used to be five.I'll always try and pick something up there rather than ebay though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,380 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Their prices are definitaly higher than ebay without a doubt, I bought two boxed nes games last week for 20 quid in there, and they were not hard to find games either. on ebay at the weekend i won 4 auctions from the same guy and ended up with 11 CIB nes games for 54 euro including delivery and one of them is Rainbow islands. You wouldnt get that in Rage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

is it a 001 ?;)

If it is I imagine they would have mentioned it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I'll miss it, 3D games that is. For all their overcharging, you'd get the odd very good bargain, as they'd have no
    idea what they're selling, bit like The Rage.

I picked up Kim Possible, What's the Switch? there for dirt cheap. Had given up trying to find it. It's a fantastic game that's better than it has any right to be so I guess I thank 3D game for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

They were selling GEN 3 Pokemon games for a 13ish, I recall. That's nice, most places have long since bumped them up to around 20ish/30ish, as an odd mix of the standard Nintendo premium and a sort 'yay, it's not fake' tax. The RAGE had loads recently, at a similar price, 'til Atavan off here pointed out that they were all fake, I seem to vaguely recall.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Shop is still open. Walked past it today!

And yeah those carts were fakes IIRC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,689 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I picked up Kim Possible, What's the Switch? there for dirt cheap. Had given up trying to find it. It's a fantastic game that's better than it has any right to be so I guess I thank 3D game for that.
    I actually saw a copy of that in CEX off Henry Street a few weeks back, going for mad money (€3).

Ended up not buying it because I was hungry and needed a sandwich.

Advertisement