Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Correct translation please

• 14-09-2008 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Could someone please help im getting a tattoo saying "believe in the power of one" but wanted to get it in irish.

The translation i was givin was: Creid i gcumhact an duine aonair

is this correct??

thanks in advance:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Creid i gcumhacht an duine

aonair isn't needed in the sentence, and cumhacht is misspelt..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

thanks a million:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

does this not translate as believe in the power of person

where as Creid i gcumhacht an aonair would translate as believe in the power of one man???

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Ya, it's more 'believe in the power of man' or something.
    In this instance you can't literally translate and hope to have the same meaning.
    What meaning are you looking for? The power one person has? If I saw that I'd think it was the environmental thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

'duine' can mean: person, or one person

duine aonair means a "loner"/social isolate to me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement