Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Second opinion?

• 23-03-2016 6:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,
    Is this sentence grammatically correct?
    "Is í seo mo dialann eicléictiúil. Céad míle fáilte, a eachtránaí!"
    I was thinking about "a dheoraí" instead of eachtránaí, but it sounds a little odd...
    And... if I were to say "particularly eclectic", could I use an-eicléictiúil?

Please be patient, I'm taking my first Irish class!
    Thanks!!! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭David Webb

I would say the word eicléictiúil was a made-up word unlikely to be found in the Gaeltacht.

Dialann ar nithibh éagsamhla?

A Eachtránaí - could be "pé duine a thágann an treó".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭David Webb

I would say the word eicléictiúil was a made-up word unlikely to be found in the Gaeltacht.

Dialann ar nithibh éagsamhla?

A Eachtránaí - could be "pé duine a thagann an treó".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

simmyfoxy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    "Is í seo mo dialann eicléictiúil. Céad míle fáilte, a eachtránaí!"
    I was thinking about "a dheoraí" instead of eachtránaí, but it sounds a little odd...

I'm no expert at grammar, but I'm pretty sure its "mo dhialann" for "my diary". As was suggested above, there are more natural ways of saying the rest of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,498 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I'm no expert at grammar, but I'm pretty sure its "mo dhialann" for "my diary". As was suggested above, there are more natural ways of saying the rest of it.

Yeah you're correct with saying it's "mo dhialann".

An Aidiacht Shealbhach states that the rule for the possession "my" is,

Mo + 'h' on the noun - of course there are exceptions

Mo leabhar
    Mo mháthair
    M'athair
    Mo chara

Just thought I'd confirm your statement :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 simmyfoxy

Thank you all guys!!! That was really helpful!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

simmyfoxy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    "Is í seo mo dialann eicléictiúil....

If you want to add the intensifier 'an', you can't add it in front of the adjective, from what I recall, in such a sentence as the one above.

You can say 'tá rud an-eicléictiúil' but when the adjective is paired immediately following a noun, a new rule takes effect when you are using the copula and demonstrative. It would also be fine if you said 'Dialann an-eicléictiúil í'.

To keep with your own construction I think you would need to say 'is í seo mo dhialann atá an-eictéictiúil'/ ar an-eicléictiúil í /is mó eicléictiúil.

Advertisement