Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rosslare Container Migrants disappear from Direct Provision Centre

• 24-11-2019 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭

A number of the migrants found on a ship to Rosslare last Thursday have left a Dublin direct provision centre and are believed to be heading for the UK. You couldn't make this stuff up. Imagine arriving illegally in Australia and just being allowed to wander off untraced into the country.

I'm sure that the Gardai know everything about their affiliations to ISIS etc. after talking to them for a few hours at Rosslare. :rolleyes:

ThE OAP who is Minister for Justice needs to be sacked and somebody with a glimmer of intelligence put in his place. The security of the country is a joke while this sort of nonsense continues.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/migrants-found-on-ship-to-rosslare-have-left-direct-provision-centre-in-dublin-966197.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭wellwhynot

Del.Monte wrote: »
    A number of the migrants found on a ship to Rosslare last Thursday have left a Dublin direct provision centre and are believed to be heading for the UK. You couldn't make this stuff up. Imagine arriving illegally in Australia and just being allowed to wander off untraced into the country.

I'm sure that the Gardai know everything about their affiliations to ISIS etc. after talking to them for a few hours at Rosslare. :rolleyes:

ThE OAP who is Minister for Justice needs to be sacked and somebody with a glimmer of intelligence put in his place. The security of the country is a joke while this sort of nonsense continues.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/migrants-found-on-ship-to-rosslare-have-left-direct-provision-centre-in-dublin-966197.html

Agreed. It is incomprehensible that there was no monitoring at all. I believe 9 have fled up North.

With Brexit and the huge border issue ongoing I am shocked at the incompetence of our government. Already many of our failed asylum seekers have disappeared assumed gone up North to get to the UK.

Can someone competent please take control of our borders please?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

Why are the migrants so keen to go to the UK from France. Are the French less generous with benefits or is there something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

if the border between the Republic and the North is significantly strengthened by Brexit i would expect to see the number of asylum seekers and indeed immigration as a whole decline here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

The security of the state should be a huge priority in times like this, instead it’s a ****in joke, put In the hands of incompetent gob****es who I wouldn’t trust with a waterpistol.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Mules wrote: »
    Why are the migrants so keen to go to the UK from France. Are the French less generous with benefits or is there something else?
    Good question M and one I've wondered about myself. Bigger turn a blind eye labour market maybe, or already established communities? I can't see it being the British benefits which would much less than here, or France from what I gather?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭mountai

Seems Verona wasnt too far wrong then .!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

UK still an aspirational country for many, as has been said, there are huge communities for whatever country the people may be from, in the UKs big cities.

I'd have thought plenty here would be pleased they've decided to move to the UK, and no longer be a burden on the Irish taxpayer or something.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Mules

Wibbs wrote: »
    Good question M and one I've wondered about myself. Bigger turn a blind eye labour market maybe, or already established communities? I can't see it being the British benefits which would much less than here, or France from what I gather?

There's definitely established communities especially in London. I'm not sure if France or the UK has more generous welfare but I can't see the French handing it out freely to foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

I'd imagine it's to do with the bigger population, city's and as you say already established communities with the hope of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

If they voluntarily leave the country, why would we care?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,246 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Good, hopefully a few more follow them.

woohoo!!! wrote: »
    If they voluntarily leave the country, why would we care?

Because
    1 They go to the U.K. Immigration was one of the main causes of Brexit. Why would they agree to a soft border with us when many of our failed asylum seekers have disappeared most likely to the U.K.

2 It is worrying that people who arrived illegally with so much publicity managed to disappear so quickly. No vetting done, no back ground checks established at this stage, nothing and absolutely no monitoring. If you or I arrived to another country illegally we would be not be allowed to roam freely within hours of arriving. It is very worrying from a security point of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

If this is true, it doesn't inspire faith in Ireland's security controls.
    If I was the UK I'd also be pretty pissed off that a neighbour is so lax (works both ways I suppose)
    Weird one.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 brendane

If this was made up you wouldn't believe it. We are hardly dealing with criminal masterminds here and our incompetent government have just played into the hands of Farage and the hard right Tories. Watch them use this as a reason to push for a hard border either on the island or up the sea.

If Farage was trying to set up this situation, he couldn't have picked a better time (Just before an election) or wanted a more incompetent response from the Irish government.

Watch the tories/brexiteers come out in the next few days with claims that police sources say that the asylum seekers are in the UK because sure as hell our authorities won't know where they are

• Registered Users Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Del.Monte wrote: »

ISIS members don’t usually travel in shipping containers, they fly or, at least, go by ferry.

The tide is turning…

The Government have been bladdering on about no hard border for the last 3 years and not once in any RTE/TV3 debate has anyone apart from Fintan O Toole mentioned the fact that someone will be just able to cross over into a non EU country if no checks are in place.

Now I disagree with 99.9% of what O Toole says but he's spot on on this one.

It's bloody ridiculous that lads can arrive on the back of a truck and have the same rights as someone who follows the rules and looks to enter our country legally, it just makes a mockery of the whole process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Does their disappearance mean that their asylum applications are now null and void?

If not, why not?

The last thing that should happen if they are discovered in the UK is that they are deported back to Ireland to resume their spurious asylum applications. One Ellie Kisysombe is enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 brendane

Genuine question but why can't we electronically chip people who arrive in the country in such circumstances. They are obviously not arriving with genuine documentation and we have no idea who they are, what country they come from or what criminal past they may have

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

First off, if these lads have now fecked off elsewhere, I say let them! They arrived here illegally from a safe country. Their "asylum" claims should have been rejected on the spot, not used as a PR stunt by the politicians and well funded advocate groups (who I'd hope - but doubt - are feeling suitably embarrassed today).

For the rest of us though this highlights again the not thought out approach in place here, where a bunch of lads we know nothing about have just disappeared from the system only days later! The security risks inherent in such a lax approach are massive given where some of these (welfare) "tourists" are coming from and the culture and mindset they bring with them.

Virtue signalling nonsense does not trump national security. We've seen what happens in the UK and Europe when that is ignored.

No mention on RTE about this.

They do however have this. Here come the next lot.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/1124/1094789-italy-migrants/

Some of the asylum seekers claim their wives are missing from the boat which is awful. Merkel expects them to be shared throughout Europe as before. Why are they encouraging this? If they were returned people would stop risking their lives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Can't beat this schizophrenic/xenophobic forum. Moan that they managed to make it here and that we will be stuck footing the bill for their stay in direct provision.

Now when we learn that some of them have fecked off out of the state, most likely to join family in the UK. I'm sure some of you are disappointed to see that these folks didn't see Ireland as an easy to fleece haven! Now ye are advocating that the state should have spent more money locking them up 24/7 and attempting detailed background checks (which coincidentally none of you know the Gardai with the assistance of Inter/Europol haven't done)

Anything for a good auld racist moan I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭seenitall

The Government have been bladdering on about no hard border for the last 3 years and not once in any RTE/TV3 debate has anyone apart from Fintan O Toole mentioned the fact that someone will be just able to cross over into a non EU country if no checks are in place.

Um, it's the reverse direction that Ireland should be worried about, surely? After Brexit, once that the UK becomes ever more inhospitable to those who have set up as undocumented there, it is the porous nature of the border of the first available EU country to them, that will become the problem for Ireland.

Can't beat this schizophrenic/xenophobic forum. Moan that they managed to make it here and that we will be stuck footing the bill for their stay in direct provision.

Now when we learn that some of them have fecked off out of the state, most likely to join family in the UK. I'm sure some of you are disappointed to see that these folks didn't see Ireland as an easy to fleece haven! Now ye are advocating that the state should have spent more money locking them up 24/7 and attempting detailed background checks (which coincidentally none of you know the Gardai with the assistance of Inter/Europol haven't done)

Shouting racist or xenophobe doesn't help your point (quite the opposite), so let's get that out of the way first.

Now, let's review :

- a group of lads turn up in a container from France (a safe first world country) and despite trying to get to the UK (why? And why in a container?) we offer them asylum here - despite them having entered the country illegally and apparently unintentionally.

- not even a week later several go missing and are presumed heading for the UK. Given that we have no information on these guys or their backgrounds, you don't find that the least bit concerning?

These are the facts. Please point out the racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,383 ✭✭✭✭road_high

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Shouting racist or xenophobe doesn't help your point (quite the opposite), so let's get that out of the way first.

Now, let's review :

- a group of lads turn up in a container from France (a safe first world country) and despite trying to get to the UK (why? And why in a container?) we offer them asylum here - despite them having entered the country illegally and apparently unintentionally.

- not even a week later several go missing and are presumed heading for the UK. Given that we have no information on these guys or their backgrounds, you don't find that the least bit concerning?

These are the facts. Please point out the racism.

Everyone that doesn’t agree with them
    is racist xenophobic etc etc. It’s the default rebuttal when they can’t argue the points made. Anyhow I think we are moving beyond these people drowning out all debate with these hollow cries - our shambolic asylum process is now in sharp focus despite all

@ The Nightman
    It is not racist to want secure borders. Do you not think what happened is a gift to Brexiteers who want a hard border in Ireland? Or that it is ironic that our lax approach could see a return to civil war up North?

Excerpt from an LA Times article on borders:

More broadly, those who deride borders are unwilling to address why tens of millions of people choose to cross them in the first place, leaving their language fluency and native soil — at great personal risk. The answer is obvious: migration, as it was in the 1960s between mainland China and Hong Kong, as it is now between North and South Korea, is usually a one-way street, from the non-West to the West or its Westernized manifestations. People walk, climb, swim, and fly across borders, secure in the knowledge that boundaries mark different approaches to human experience, with one side perceived as more successful or inviting than the other.

Western rules that promote a greater likelihood of consensual government, religious tolerance, an independent judiciary, free-market capitalism, and the protection of private property combine to offer the individual a level of prosperity and personal security rarely enjoyed at home. As a result, migrants make the necessary travel adjustments to go westward — especially given that Western civilization, uniquely so, has usually defined itself by culture, not race, and thus alone is willing to accept and integrate those of different races who wish to share its protocols.

Many unassimilated Muslims in the West assume that they can ignore Western jurisprudence and yet rely on it in extremis. Today’s Pakistani new arrival in London might wish to follow sharia law as he knew it in Punjab. But implicit are two unmentionable constants: The migrant most certainly does not wish to return to face sharia law in Pakistan. Second, if he had his way, institutionalizing his native culture into that of his newly adopted land, he would eventually flee the results — and once again likely go somewhere else, for the same reasons that he left home in the first place.

Similarly, when undocumented Latino youths disrupt a Donald Trump rally, they often wave Mexican flags or flash placards bearing slogans such as “Make America Mexico Again.” But note the emotional paradox: In anger at possible deportation, non-citizens nonsensically wave the flag of the country that they most certainly do not wish to rejoin, while ignoring the flag of the nation in which they adamantly wish to remain.

road_high wrote: »
    Everyone that doesn’t agree with them
    is racist xenophobic etc etc. It’s the default rebuttal when they can’t argue the points made. Anyhow I think we are moving beyond these people drowning out all debate with these hollow cries - our shambolic asylum process is now in sharp focus despite all

Recently our current position reminds me of this old joke from the Simpsons:

Considering we can't process or even keep track of the migrants we have now, Bart has a point.

seenitall wrote: »
    Um, it's the reverse direction that Ireland should be worried about, surely? After Brexit, once that the UK becomes ever more inhospitable to those who have set up as undocumented there, it is the porous nature of the border of the first available EU country to them, that will become the problem for Ireland.

I'm not so sure that those economic migrants already in the UK would decide to up sticks and make the trip over here, most of them still think they will have better opportunities there than in surrounding countries like here or France.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Ah, the good old racist card out straight away.

Nobody is advocating that the should have being locked up 24/7, the should have being turned around at Rosslare harbour and sent back to the safe country the came from.

As for the Guards doing background checks in a few days, how is that supposed to be done with no passports or ID papers, what's so special with this group, it takes months if not years to find the real identity of people claiming asylum here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

I commiserate with you over your inability to grasp the significance of this matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

so is this going to be the tactic going forward?....get into the republic and then abscond to the north and seek asylum in the UK??

Advertisement