Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    In the last few months Bernard O'Shea has been on:

TLLS x 2- Tubridy (NKM)
    CBL- Claire B (NKM)
    Weekend on One- BO'C (?)

Boards.ie BOS search https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?sort=newest&date_to=&date_from=&query=Bernard+O%27Shea

That's classic NKM promotion.

On the radio with Ray Darcy today, plugging a reality show on TV tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Elmo wrote: »
    And it was terrible. I think he might be involved in their new drama Kin.

[

I think so. A buddy of mine was a crew member on that.

Taken Down was a show that pushed an agenda (Direct provision) but didn't push a story. And there's nothing worse than a show that pushes an agenda and sweet flip all else. (It was bad-the acting, the directing... the story dragging on. Terrible).

Off Topic, but how long did the 'woke hire' last at RTe? 12 months? Louise Byrne got replaced with at least ONE person who is genuinely far better at the job than she is.

https://www.rte.ie/news/primetime/2021/0322/1205418-new-prime-time-presenters-miriam-o-callaghan-sarah-mcinerney-fran-mcnulty/

I'd say that John McGuirk interview was the nail in her coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,244 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Off Topic, but how long did the 'woke hire' last at RTe? 12 months? Louise Byrne got replaced with at least ONE person who is genuinely far better at the job than she is.

She was downright terrible and that's with Miriam in the same show

fritzelly wrote: »
    She was downright terrible and that's with Miriam in the same show

Yup. And RTE had to apologise, twice, for that interview. Once by Miriam, once by Louise.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I don't really understand the need for 2 presenters for a 40minute show. Claire Byrne hosts a show alone what's the difference?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I don't really understand the need for 2 presenters for a 40minute show. Claire Byrne hosts a show alone what's the difference?

The difference should be obvious. It all has to do with a train at the publicly funded RTE.
    The Gravy Train.

Tbf, The Claire Byrne show is just a wreck. Embarrassing dreck.
    It doesn't discuss anything of use, instead it's like a Tabloid newspaper, promoting the most useless rubbish.

The moment she has to do anything of substance, is the moment she messes up. (The abortion referendum, for example-still sticks in my craw).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,866 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

CB's "debate" on the 8th was absolutely hopeless. Pat Kenny showed her how it's done and he was fair to both sides.

Couldn't stomach the thought of 2 hours of United Ireland talk on CB. Anyone take one for the team?

Life ain't always empty.

Couldn't stomach the thought of 2 hours of United Ireland talk on CB. Anyone take one for the team?

Bit of a pointless debate, lots of moving goal posts really. Though I am sure many here agree we must bring the 800,000 or so unionist along with us before a United Ireland happens, because unionist are very good at bring brought along with us! At least it was a break from COVID.

RTÉ lives largely in a vacum, they don't see beyond politics. They view August as a non-news month when in reality its a non-political month.

If an election happened in August RTÉ would take a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Tbf, The Claire Byrne show is just a wreck. Embarrassing dreck.
    It doesn't discuss anything of use, instead it's like a Tabloid newspaper, promoting the most useless rubbish.

The moment she has to do anything of substance, is the moment she messes up. (The abortion referendum, for example-still sticks in my craw).

To be fair her show last night on a united Ireland was decent, and more what the content should be, not 6 fluff pieces with pathetic looking sets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

CB's "debate" on the 8th was absolutely hopeless. Pat Kenny showed her how it's done and he was fair to both sides.

Couldn’t stand two hours of UI with anyone, to be honest.

NIMAN wrote: »
    To be fair her show last night on a united Ireland was decent, and more what the content should be, not 6 fluff pieces with pathetic looking sets.

true in fairness, In actual fact in might be the way to run a general election debate with the last part give to the 3 main party leaders.

CBL tends to be very fluffy and even when it does a serious topic is only to return after the break on to something less important.

I think it is largely down to the dropping of Q&A. The Frontline was in a similar place to CBL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

The claim on the whole island of Ireland is gone from the constitution thanks to a referendum vote. We've about as much a claim on a united Ireland as we have on Rockall.

vriesmays wrote: »
    The claim on the whole island of Ireland is gone from the constitution thanks to a referendum vote. We've about as much a claim on a united Ireland as we have on Rockall.

Unless we vote for a unite Ireland and so to does the north? Thanks to the same referendum. But slightly off topic.

NIMAN wrote: »

Decent or average isn't good enough. When the show started, it had promise-since then, it's become dreck.

Yeah-heard Joe Brolly was gonna be on and I wanted to see what he would say.

CB cut him off the moment he could get a word in-it felt entirely unprofessional, and made her look like a fishwife.
    Reminded me of Fox news... and no, that's not a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Skyfloater

Saw Louise Byrne on PT tonight. The woman is obsessed with getting a "Gotcha" moment with any politician she interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,051 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Skyfloater wrote: »
    Saw Louise Byrne on PT tonight. The woman is obsessed with getting a "Gotcha" moment with any politician she interviews.

Have to say the same applies to McInerney.

She was interviewing if memory serves me, Billy Kelleher MEP, on some vaccine issue.

After the first attempt, it was obvious he wasn’t going to give her the answer she wanted.

It was doubly obvious after the second go.

It was getting tiresome after the third attempt

But after she went after him the fourth time, I said to myself “ Aah for JAysus sake Sarah, let it go...he’s not goin to answer..

Hope she’s not going to keep that kind of stuff up on PT.

Have to say the same applies to McInerney.

She was interviewing if memory serves me, Billy Kelleher MEP, on some vaccine issue.

After the first attempt, it was obvious he wasn’t going to give her the answer she wanted.

It was doubly obvious after the second go.

It was getting tiresome after the third attempt

But after she went after him the fourth time, I said to myself “ Aah for JAysus sake Sarah, let it go...he’s not goin to answer..

Hope she’s not going to keep that kind of stuff up on PT.

The best RTÉ presenter for catching politicians off guard was Una O'Hagan, she didn't get to do it much, but because she's soft spoke they were never prepared for her straight forward questions, it was unfortunate she didn't get to do it that often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭99nsr125

Skyfloater wrote: »

She didn't even let him answer

Was like she had a monologue all rehearsed

Fųckin woeful it was yet again

The best RTÉ presenter for catching politicians off guard was Una O'Hagan, she didn't get to do it much, but because she's soft spoke they were never prepared for her straight forward questions, it was unfortunate she didn't get to do it that often.

Keelin Shanley used to do it too. She had this friendly air about her, that she could use to go on the offensive, when needed.
    Often used to let people bury themselves.

She was a massive loss, frankly. Tough to those who were arrogant and saw themselves as above the law, kind to those who were downtrodden and needed someone to talk to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,975 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

99nsr125 wrote: »
    She didn't even let him answer

Was like she had a monologue all rehearsed

Fųckin woeful it was yet again

... and probably the reason she got the boot from the show.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Jesus that ad for the new Bernard O’Shea show is getting relentlessly played.......

They must be throwing all their eggs into his basket!!!

I’ve had bouts of diarrhoea that were funnier than Bernard O’Shea!!!

Jesus that ad for the new Bernard O’Shea show is getting relentlessly played.......

The Irish independent summed it up perfectly 'RTE are determined to keep foisting the unfunny Bernard O'Shea upon us'.

They tried something 'similar' (as in the exact same) with Des Bishop yonkers ago-he tried to teach Traveller's to be funny (spoilers, they weren't), he tried to teach folks from Northern Ireland to be funny (they weren't, and he ended up angering one or two of em, who left), he tried to teach inner city kids to be funny (Spoilers-they weren't) and so on.

So knowing this exact formula didn't work before, they did it again... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

RTE do this routinely. They latch on to one of their presenters and push them onto every show they can and advertise them extensively.

namloc1980 wrote: »
    RTE do this routinely. They latch on to one of their presenters and push them onto every show they can and advertise them extensively.

Can guarantee we're gonna get some shows on 'new parenthood' on account of a couple of RTE presenters (and politicians) are currently awaiting their first sprogs.

IF we're lucky, it will go on the RTE player to die...

If not, it will either be RTE 2, or a prime time slot.

RTE have a new show where Enda Kenny travels around IReland... Jesus Ch**t... what's next, 'Bertie's Bowls' aka a cooking show with Bertie Ahern?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

what's next, 'Bertie's Bowls' aka a cooking show with Bertie Ahern?

“Bertie cooks the books”

Or his consumer affairs show on banks.....

“Banking with Bertie”

“Bertie cooks the books”

Or his consumer affairs show on banks.....

“Banking with Bertie”

024106a7-34e3-49c7-94cc-0d5ecbc5a89f_text.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Yes, but it's voiced up by the RTE lady that would try to make getting the Ebola virus sound like fun.

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Yes, but it's voiced up by the RTE lady that would try to make getting the Ebola virus sound like fun.

I know who you mean...

I know she's paid to sound enthusiastic, but how much would have to drink to kill your soul so much that you can pretend to be so upbeat?

Is it Shane McGowan levels, or Irish Wake levels?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I know who you mean...

I know she's paid to sound enthusiastic, but how much would have to drink to kill your soul so much that you can pretend to be so upbeat?

Is it Shane McGowan levels, or Irish Wake levels?

Stones, Slane, 82 levels :pac:

Advertisement