Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

dos30 wrote: »
    The stone looks great, is that sandstone?
    Thanks,
    Yea, its Lacken Stone (Sandstone) Guillotined Stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Nice bit of stonework nealger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

+1 for concrete stairs fine example of what can be achieved

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭New build in sight

Start date July 7th 2012

Almost finished second fix!

Electricity was switched on today, water in the process of being turned on.

Just pricing painting/spraying at the moment. - love to hear any tips anyone else might have on this part of the build. Were wondering should we do it ourselves, or is it worth paying someone to do the job? Also any tips on undercoat or not etc. if anyone has any tips that would be great!

Kitchen & stairs in the process of being made right now.

Tiler tiling this weekend, and hopefully all our downstairs floor will be down next week.

All looking very good right now, so exciting!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Just pricing painting/spraying at the moment. - love to hear any tips anyone else might have on this part of the build. Were wondering should we do it ourselves, or is it worth paying someone to do the job? Also any tips on undercoat or not etc. if anyone has any tips that would be great!
    Definitely get it painted by a professional. All the good work of the plasterers and every other trade in the house can be undone with a poor paint job, and similarly a good paint job can right a lot of wrongs.
    Where abouts in the country are you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭New build in sight

Quazzie wrote: »
    Definitely get it painted by a professional. All the good work of the plasterers and every other trade in the house can be undone with a poor paint job, and similarly a good paint job can right a lot of wrongs.
    Where abouts in the country are you?
    We're in Westmeath Quazzie. Thanks for the reply, we always thought that's where we would save money but now were thinking it's worth it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

We're in Westmeath Quazzie. Thanks for the reply, we always thought that's where we would save money but now were thinking it's worth it ;)
    I'll forward you on the number of the guy I used. He's reasonable and very picky which is good. Our plasterer left a lot of little issues around, and the painter came in and amended a lot of them, just by his preparation and finish. I know if we tried it ourselves, we would've missed a lot of them, or even made them worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Septic tank went in today, the price of AJ's would make you sick and the cost of a grease trap is crazy!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Haven't posted in a while meself.

House is plastered inside and out. Floor insulation, underfloor heating pipes and concrete have just been laid. Need this weekend of warm weather now to ventilated the shít out of the place and get good drying going.

Sanitary wear, tiles and kitchen all ordered. Spray painter is on standby for when it's well dry inside. Electrician wants to start second fix but I want it painted first to minimise masking. Bit of a pain to turn away an eager electrician but can't be helped.

Tentatively saying 8 to 10 weeks until we're in. Tentatively.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

Villain wrote: »
    Septic tank went in today, the price of AJ's would make you sick and the cost of a grease trap is crazy!

Agreed, The AJ's issue has always been a pet hate of mine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 toolittletime

Folks
    I am researching which pipe work to plumb my self build with. Some plumbers i talked to suggested using Multilayer piping instead of Copper, where as other plumbers recommend copper as the cost of multilayer fixturing can be expensive.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? which would you recommend as the better ?
    i dont want to choose multilayer if its just easier and quicker to install......
    tks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

Folks
    I am researching which pipe work to plumb my self build with. Some plumbers i talked to suggested using Multilayer piping instead of Copper, where as other plumbers recommend copper as the cost of multilayer fixturing can be expensive.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? which would you recommend as the better ?
    i dont want to choose multilayer if its just easier and quicker to install......
    tks

multilayer - never rots, corrodes, & is not eaten away from the inside by out of balance PH of your water

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Just at the design stage ourselves. Building on my familys farm. Currently there is an old cottage on the site which we will be knocking and the new house will be going pretty much exactly on the same site. Its part of the family farm with the farmyard right beside it. The site is pretty nice - roughly 150 metres off the road, elevated and south facing.

Some fantastic advice, tips etc on here but the volume of info to try and take on board is just unreal! My wife works full time and I'm on a 3 day week so I'm thinking of going with a contractor maybe for the outside shell and then go direct labour for the rest. We're still only finalising drawings so we have a long road ahead of us. The 'plan' is to living in our new house by Sept/Oct 2014. I'll have to go back through this thread with notepad and paper and start documenting everything just to try and make some bit of sense of it all!!

Just at the design stage ourselves. Building on my familys farm. Currently there is an old cottage on the site which we will be knocking and the new house will be going pretty much exactly on the same site. Its part of the family farm with the farmyard right beside it. The site is pretty nice - roughly 150 metres off the road, elevated and south facing.

Some fantastic advice, tips etc on here but the volume of info to try and take on board is just unreal! My wife works full time and I'm on a 3 day week so I'm thinking of going with a contractor maybe for the outside shell and then go direct labour for the rest. We're still only finalising drawings so we have a long road ahead of us. The 'plan' is to living in our new house by Sept/Oct 2014. I'll have to go back through this thread with notepad and paper and start documenting everything just to try and make some bit of sense of it all!!
    Also some good info in the threads linked to here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

Skimming finished Friday on the inside. Looking at inset stove at the moment, pricink the kitchen and the stairs at the moment. Geothermal plumbing inside, other 2nd fix plumbing and vacume system started. Hope to begin floor insulation towards the end of the week. Stonework almost finished outside. Stress City here!

ESB say power will be connected Monday :D

Ground works complete, lot of work involved and a lot of expense but not something you want skimp on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

A year in and the geothermal is nearly finished, was pressure tested today before backfilling. 850m of 40mm pipe and the ground was better than i feared, thought it might be full of stones but more blue clay at that depth, the father thought it was a bit of an overkill digging up an acre of a field for a heating system. :D
    Plumbers start on first fix in the morning, hopefully floor insulation down by the middle of next week and screed not long after that. Plasterers finished a fortnight ago inside and its looking well, skim was really drying out in that good warm week and was just soaking into the walls. I felt the heat radiating of the external rear walls in the evenings during the good weather, the thermal mass appears to be working anyway.
    had a bit of an issue with the pumped cavity insulation company but i stopped the cheque on them and they soon realised they were in the wrong with their measurements. Waiting on getting all storm waters and sewers done before we start the external weber render as i don't fancy going near it with a track machine once its on which has resulted in a few birds nesting in the roof before i could get to the eaves with a bit of plaster to stop the little friggers getting in. Really want the floors in and then get other stuff done while its drying out, but no major stress at the minute. Kitchens picked, tiles are picked and budget is gonna be over but hopefully not by too much, maybe 10%. Still reckon i'll save a minimum of £50k by doing it on the grip compared to the 3 quotes i got.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 coastcooler

@Antrimglens: Wow if u reckon saving €50k. ;-)) super jealous, your nearly finished..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Still reckon i'll save a minimum of £50k by doing it on the grip compared to the 3 quotes i got.

I'm surprised to hear it considering builders have cut the celtic tiger premium out of their quotes. Well done! What bits did you do yourself?

A lot happened since I last posted. A lot of little wins. Floors poured and dried out nicely. When dry enough I got the whole inside spray-painted, in and out in one day, superb job.

2nd fix electrics were done and electricity connected \o/

Couldn't resist shouting "LET THERE BE LIGHT" as I turned on the lights for the first time.

Site works starting proper now, got water connection sorted and getting the heating going today to dry out the floors proper. Two weeks should do it before tiling starts. Kitchen's ordered and will be ready for delivery in 3 weeks. Other flooring picked. Got underlay to suit the underfloor heating so we can have a cost master bedroom and living room (essential to enjoy surround sound IMO so I was willing to accept a small hit on the heating there).

And finally - sort of a feature of the site was built and finished last week by a bunch of highly skilled, efficient and very reasonably priced polish wall builders:

922676_10200512483797940_1440283886_n.jpg

• Advertisement

Looking good. I love the wall. Does it stretch all the way up the side of the site as well?

By the sounds of it you'll have to change your username when you move in :)

just do it wrote: »
    Looking good. I love the wall. Does it stretch all the way up the side of the site as well?

By the sounds of it you'll have to change your username when you move in :)

Yea the wall goes along the front of the site and then down each side as far as level with the back of the house - we'll fence the rest.

All that stone came from the original wall and out of the site when we dug the foundations. There's probably all that again lying out the back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭kboc

A year in and the geothermal is nearly finished, was pressure tested today before backfilling. 850m of 40mm pipe and the ground was better than i feared, thought it might be full of stones but more blue clay at that depth, the father thought it was a bit of an overkill digging up an acre of a field for a heating system. :D
    Plumbers start on first fix in the morning, hopefully floor insulation down by the middle of next week and screed not long after that. Plasterers finished a fortnight ago inside and its looking well, skim was really drying out in that good warm week and was just soaking into the walls. I felt the heat radiating of the external rear walls in the evenings during the good weather, the thermal mass appears to be working anyway.
    had a bit of an issue with the pumped cavity insulation company but i stopped the cheque on them and they soon realised they were in the wrong with their measurements. Waiting on getting all storm waters and sewers done before we start the external weber render as i don't fancy going near it with a track machine once its on which has resulted in a few birds nesting in the roof before i could get to the eaves with a bit of plaster to stop the little friggers getting in. Really want the floors in and then get other stuff done while its drying out, but no major stress at the minute. Kitchens picked, tiles are picked and budget is gonna be over but hopefully not by too much, maybe 10%. Still reckon i'll save a minimum of £50k by doing it on the grip compared to the 3 quotes i got.

I think I recognise that blue geothermal pipe!! Very simple and cost effective, not like some plumbers who would have you put down all sorts of expensive rubberised pipe

Did you install and bury pipe yourself, or did FG supervise the covering of pipe?

I think I just make out the end of trenches on your aerial photo. Was it trenches? How many, how long and how deep for each one?

I just got planning past for a house, so going to build again in 1 or 2 years.

Will you pm me the insulation company who balls you about?

Looking good, you will be in before the cooled winds arrive in those glens in November

Well done and good luck

K

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

kboc wrote: »
    I think I recognise that blue geothermal pipe!! Very simple and cost effective, not like some plumbers who would have you put down all sorts of expensive rubberised pipe

Did you install and bury pipe yourself, or did FG supervise the covering of pipe?

I think I just make out the end of trenches on your aerial photo. Was it trenches? How many, how long and how deep for each one?

I just got planning past for a house, so going to build again in 1 or 2 years.

Will you pm me the insulation company who balls you about?

Looking good, you will be in before the cooled winds arrive in those glens in November

Well done and good luck

K

Kboc I reckon you do recognise them. Fg was on site while we dug the first trench and let digger man do the rest. He is a very particular digger man anyway so confident enough with him. Trenches are 70m long pipe buried at 7 ft and dug with a 4ft bucket with 2 collectors in each trench six feet apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 coastcooler

Hi ShiverinEskimo,

Just wondering what type windows did you go for? They look like they are green, are they PVC, alu clad, double/triple glazing?
    A lot happened since I last posted. A lot of little wins. Floors poured and dried out nicely. When dry enough I got the whole inside spray-painted, in and out in one day, superb job.

2nd fix electrics were done and electricity connected \o/

Couldn't resist shouting "LET THERE BE LIGHT" as I turned on the lights for the first time.

Site works starting proper now, got water connection sorted and getting the heating going today to dry out the floors proper. Two weeks should do it before tiling starts. Kitchen's ordered and will be ready for delivery in 3 weeks. Other flooring picked. Got underlay to suit the underfloor heating so we can have a cost master bedroom and living room (essential to enjoy surround sound IMO so I was willing to accept a small hit on the heating there).

And finally - sort of a feature of the site was built and finished last week by a bunch of highly skilled, efficient and very reasonably priced polish wall builders:

922676_10200512483797940_1440283886_n.jpg

Green outside, cream inside, PVC, triple-glazed with insulated frames.

We're delighted with the green. Think it looks well against the stone. We'll the paint the house off-white/cream eventually and it should look grand.

6 years to the day I got planning I moved into my new home, I'll post some photos and details later in the week :D

6 years to the day I got planning I moved into my new home, I'll post some photos and details later in the week :D
    Good stuff. Im sure you are relieved now :)

I'll PM you my address for the invite to the house warming party :pac:

Congrats Villain, best of luck in the new place.

Just to let you know for the BBQ, I eat pretty much any type of meat and drink pretty much anything that comes in a bottle :D

• Advertisement

just do it wrote: »
    Just to let you know for the BBQ, I eat pretty much any type of meat and drink pretty much anything that comes in a bottle :D
    Oh really? :pac:

65NrTe.jpg

Advertisement