Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How common is it to complete a 1 year contract before being offered a permanent posit

Options
  • 28-01-2020 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

Attended a job interview today after applying for a position. Found out at the interview that the job was a 1 year contract position with the potential to become permanent.
    Nowhere in the job ad was this stated and wouldn’t have applied as my current job is permanent. When I queried further the interviewer said the majority of people in the company start off on contracts. Is this common as opposed to being offered a permanent contract with a probation period.

Thanks,
    Tasha

Comments

pretty common i would have said.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

TashaB86 wrote: »
    Nowhere in the job ad was this stated and wouldn’t have applied as my current job is permanent.

It may be common, but not mentioning the word "contract" in the job ad is still ...how shall I put it ...disingenuous.

Secondly, do not ever, unless you absolutely have to, leave a permanent position for a contract ...slippery slope, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

peasant wrote: »
    It may be common, but not mentioning the word "contract" in the job ad is still ...how shall I put it ...disingenuous.

Secondly, do not ever, unless you absolutely have to, leave a permanent position for a contract ...slippery slope, that is.

Agree totally.

Very poor form of them not to have said up-front. Total waste of their time and yours - and a good indication of how much respect they hold the candidates in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

TashaB86 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Attended a job interview today after applying for a position. Found out at the interview that the job was a 1 year contract position with the potential to become permanent.
    Nowhere in the job ad was this stated and wouldn’t have applied as my current job is permanent. When I queried further the interviewer said the majority of people in the company start off on contracts. Is this common as opposed to being offered a permanent contract with a probation period.

Thanks,
    Tasha
    You're on a years probation in this country anyway. Everyone can be fired in the first year for any reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Very common in some industries at entry to intermediate level. It can be quite common in the pharma industry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

You're on a years probation in this country anyway. Everyone can be fired in the first year for any reason.

Good point. But could this be a means of extenting this period?
    ie That at the end of the 12 month contract period, which has its own fire at will clause, then a normal first of employment year begins were there is a second period of probation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Manach wrote: »
    Good point. But could this be a means of extenting this period?
    ie That at the end of the 12 month contract period, which has its own fire at will clause, then a normal first of employment year begins were there is a second period of probation.
    That can't happen (I think) it used to be common to put people on repeating 11 month contracts and I'd say **** employers still do it to the Poles and Croats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Being on a 1-year contract is very different to being able to terminate an employee within 12 months of starting a permanent job.

It would be viewed very differently on a mortgage or loan application, for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Manach wrote: »
    ...at the end of the 12 month contract period, which has its own fire at will clause, then a normal first of employment year begins ...

All that usually happens at the end of the 12 month contract is that the contract ends :D

Oh..they mentioned during the interview that there would be a permanent position at the end?
    I'm so sorry dear, but that project didn't go anywhere, the budget isn't there, due to circumstances outside of our control we are currently on a hire freeze ...pick your generic excuse of choice ..

But as it happens, we have this other role coming up there...would you be interested? Unfortunately it's only another contract for the time being...but you never know ..and we usually pick our permanent employees from a pool of people who have already shown the dedication and received the training needed

blah, blah blah ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Its fairly common especially in multinationals. For my current job I left a permanent role in a small company for a 1 year contract in a multinational, was told at interview most people are made permanent after the year. Before starting I was told informally that I'd probably be made permanent after 6 months if they were satisfied with me.
    Was verbally told after 6 months I'd be made permanent and got permanent contract after 9 months.

It's a risk and depends on your situation, I wanted to get my foot in the door and could afford to take the risk, also on more money and more opportunities to progress.

As already stated you can be let go in first year for any reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭nutjobb

I work in a large multi national medical device company and the majority of people are on contracts. Took me just over 2 years to get a permanent position.

Is being on contract really that bad though when you say don't leave a permanent position for one? Surely it's better to move if a person isn't happy in their current role..

nutjobb wrote: »
    I work in a large multi national medical device company and the majority of people are on contracts. Took me just over 2 years to get a permanent position.

Is being on contract really that bad though when you say don't leave a permanent position for one? Surely it's better to move if a person isn't happy in their current role..

If you are young and willing to take risks, a contract position might seem fine. But they are biased towards certain sections of society.

As mentioned, if someone wants to get on the property ladder, a contract role doesn’t suit them. A woman hoping to start a family would be at risk of not getting that permanent role so would need to delay a number of years to try and get it before benefits kick in.

A lot can happen in a year, particularly in MNC’s. A couple of bad earnings calls in a row and suddenly there is talk of hiring freezes and headcount being culled. Who do you think are the first to go?

It’s certainly a personal choice but ask yourself, if a company can fire you up to 12 months anyway, why do THEY need to only offer you a 12-month contract? What’s in it for THEM?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Batgurl wrote: »
    Being on a 1-year contract is very different to being able to terminate an employee within 12 months of starting a permanent job.

It would be viewed very differently on a mortgage or loan application, for example.

Which is better wrt mortgage approval?

Permanent with a 1-year probation or a 1-year contract with the promise for the permanent position afterwards ?

I would think that it is similarly bad and prevents one from getting one... Thoughts?

ampleforth wrote: »
    Which is better wrt mortgage approval?

Permanent with a 1-year probation or a 1-year contract with the promise for the permanent position afterwards ?

I would think that it is similarly bad and prevents one from getting one... Thoughts?

Risk departments in banks prefer prospective mortgage customers to have permanent jobs and to have passed probation.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

Batgurl wrote: »
    Risk departments in banks prefer prospective mortgage customers to have permanent jobs and to have passed probation.

Obviously, I should not have asked. They want the entire cake, eat it and sell it on as well ... Banks... :D

ampleforth wrote: »
    Obviously, I should not have asked. They want the entire cake, eat it and sell it on as well ... Banks... :D

I think the real question people should be asking themselves is, if a company can boot you within the first 12 months for no reason, what do they have to gain from only offering a 12 month contract?

It’s obvious that it means the role isn’t guaranteed, whether it’s because of financial resources, workload resources or simply because they know the role won’t exist in 12 months.

Advertisement